More fitness--same net calories?

Options
Is there any benefit from increasing the amount of time you exercise, but still maintaining net calories? Would you burn more fat and build more muscle?

I'm asking this because I'm a student out of school for the summer with a part time job, so I have a lot of time on my hands that I could put to working out.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    so the question is "if you do more, will that change the results?"
  • mrsriisky
    mrsriisky Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Short answer, because I'm tired, yes. Improving your fitness is always great.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Define "exercise". Do you do cardio/lifting/both?

Muscle can only be built on a caloric surplus (=eating more than you burn).
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Of course there is. The more muscle you have the easier it is to burn fat. That's why some people eat at a deficit while lifting and lose doing that.

Anyways from personal experience, I keep my net around 1436 right now until my next weigh-in. So if that means needing to eat a total of 2200 calories from a 800 burn, you bet your butt I will, and still lose but also feel stronger and have more energy afterwards.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    Of course there is. The more muscle you have the easier it is to burn fat. That's why some people eat at a deficit while lifting and lose doing that.

You wont build muscle if you eat at a deficit. Lifting and eating a decent amount of protein while cutting calories helps keeping your lean body mass while losing weight, but it wont make your muscles grow, that's plain impossible.

And not meaning to be rude but people that eat at a deficit and lift lose weight because they are eating on a deficit, not because they lift. :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

You wont build muscle if you eat at a deficit. Lifting and eating a decent amount of protein while cutting calories helps keeping your lean body mass while losing weight, but it wont make your muscles grow, that's plain impossible.

And not meaning to be rude but people that eat at a deficit and lift lose weight because they are eating on a deficit, not because they lift. :)

Actually that's not true. You can build muscle on a deficit. I have & I still am. Also those new to lifting will build muscle.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    Yes, it is possible for someone who's new to lifting or for someone who really is obese. But that's it.

Edit: Take a look at this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/718624-build-muscle-on-calorie-deficit
    It sums this topic up pretty well.