Too old? Too fat

Options
kidzhearts82
kidzhearts82 Posts: 11 Member
edited October 2015 in Getting Started
59 and still way overweight. My efforts have been successful in the past - for very short times. This will be the time it sticks.

Replies

• karolen
    karolen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 60. Going through this journey also. I have 125 to lose
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ranae, you can definitely do this. I know you're only 59 but... we have a really supportive group of 60+ folks who are succeeding at this. You are welcome to check it out! And Karolen, you too!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3538-60-years-old-and-over

I am 62, have already lost 65 pounds and have about 35 or so more to go. A lot of the reason for my success is the mutual support I have gotten on MFP in that group.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I've been successful before, I can do it again.

j8j2sfci137b.jpg
  • kidzhearts82
    Options
    Thank you. Absolutely!
  • PatriciaCostanzo1
    Options
    I am a young looking 70 year old and 150 pounds overweight. I have a new doctor who is working with me and suggested this page. I will need all of the positive support I can get. Thanks.
  • kidzhearts82
    Options
    I definitely can empathize with you. Maybe we can help each other. I need all the support I can get, also. Pleased to meet you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started at 59 too. This is totally possible.

Sw 301
    Cw 189
    Gw 150-145
    16 months
  • kidzhearts82
    Options
    I certainly hope so. I have the faith in myself I need!
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My dear departed mum lost her weight when she was 67. Almost as soon as she retired, she lost those stubborn 20 pounds that had hung around her middle that she could never lose, even though she was very active and walked miles and miles every day. I blame working too hard and not taking time for a proper healthy lunch, whereas when she retired she cut out the lunchtime quick meals and just ate her home cooking, which was fantastic and very healthy. It's never too late. Never, ever. You don't have to wait until you're retired (I'm sure not)!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    khh1138 wrote: »
    My dear departed mum lost her weight when she was 67. Almost as soon as she retired, she lost those stubborn 20 pounds that had hung around her middle that she could never lose, even though she was very active and walked miles and miles every day. I blame working too hard and not taking time for a proper healthy lunch, whereas when she retired she cut out the lunchtime quick meals and just ate her home cooking, which was fantastic and very healthy. It's never too late. Never, ever. You don't have to wait until you're retired (I'm sure not)!

That does sound like fat that is hard to lose due to stress induced hormones.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Go get it!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Never too old :)
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I started at age 59 @ 240 lbs. I'm now 61 and 145 lbs (my goal). It took a year and a half. It CAN be done.
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    getting the right mindset is a big help :) After a lifetime of doing almost every fad diet there is, finally at age 52 i'm eating healthy & losing weight. Down 60 pounds now with 40 to 60 to go. You can do it!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Yep. You can do it. Don't quit! It's your turn!
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I'm only a few years younger than you, and I started on here Jan 2nd and lost 25 lbs. pretty easily, even though I"d been unable to do it on my own. There are a LOT of us in our 50's, 60's and even 70's on here. This is a time of life when we realize how taking care of our bodies pays big dividends in health, not just looks. I'm not home-free--I've gained a few pounds back and am staying on here to both maintain and occasionally lose again. The site and my friends keep me trying. So welcome, and enjoy the journey!
  • fleur27008
    fleur27008 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    52 years and a lot of weight to lose..just hope and pray i can do this . :) good luck to everyone
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Support does help & i have found that using the groups & adding friends helps me to stay accountable. Watching the success of others is inspiring or helping each other through tough times.
  • kidzhearts82
    Options
    I just joined this group yesterday. I've read through your posts have found them encouraging but sometimes overwhelming. Some of you are a long ways down this marathon.
    One thing I've liked is setting goals for the month of October. There are at least 20 I need to do but I'm going to set just 3.
    1) Log in everything I eat.
    2) Drink 8 glasses of water per day.
    3) Never eat in the car. (Drive-threw lines and/or eating alone are big downfalls for me.)