Craving sweets after 6pm. Help!!

Options
I have been craving sweets so bad after 6pm. I try not to give in to my temptation but usually lose. Then I go overboard when eating them. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can manage cravings or good sweet options to eat. (Fruits usually do not satisfy the craving)

Replies

• Jiveli85
    Jiveli85 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can have sweets any time. It doesn't matter when you eat them. If it fits within your calories, go ahead. Going overboard is the problem.
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    Its fine to eat sweets as long as it fits into your calorie allowance, does not matter what time you eat them :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You can try low calorie options like sugar free jello (an entire box or jello makes 4 servings and is 40 cals total), sugar free pudding, skinny cow, etc.

What worked for me is switching to a more Intermittent Fasting type eating style. I eat 300-ish calories during the day and then the rest of my calories at night after i hit the gym (around 8PM). This helps me go to bed full and be able to eat a GENEROUS portion of food without feeling the need to binge because im "depriving myself".

Ultimately whatever works for you. If you don't have the spare calories at night then you need to work on self-control.

Best of luck to you.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Work a treat into your calories, then! I like to pick something out early on in the day and have maybe 2 options to pick from. I make sure I get in nutritious, filling foods throughout the day and then have dessert with dinner.

~Lyssa
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Get more rest. Evening cravings mean ghrelin is running rampant due to fatigue. Drink a cup of tea with a little honey and have s piece of fruit to stave it off. If you do something to occupy yourself it will often pass entirely. But the key to resolving the craving is eating a good diet and getting enough rest.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Its fine to eat sweets as long as it fits into your calorie allowance, does not matter what time you eat them :)

Yep!

I usually save at least 200 calories for some dessert after dinner. I get even more if I've had a big exercise day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    70%+ cacao square, hard candy to suck on, more protein in the afternoon.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    You can try low calorie options like sugar free jello (an entire box or jello makes 4 servings and is 40 cals total), sugar free pudding, skinny cow, etc.

What worked for me is switching to a more Intermittent Fasting type eating style. I eat 300-ish calories during the day and then the rest of my calories at night after i hit the gym (around 8PM). This helps me go to bed full and be able to eat a GENEROUS portion of food without feeling the need to binge because im "depriving myself".

Ultimately whatever works for you. If you don't have the spare calories at night then you need to work on self-control.

Best of luck to you.

I do exactly the same thing. I'm not a morning eater anyway. Eating during my work day makes me feel tired.
    I usually work out around 4 or 5 pm and don't have an appetite until I cool off and shower.
    Usually eat dinner around 6 and then I have all these calories left to have what I want. Love it.

• packersfan0103
    packersfan0103 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I TRY not to deprive my self. Sometimes I go with a tall glass of chocolate milk.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Edy's slow churn ice cream is 120 calories a serving for "French Silk" - if you like chocolate, it's really satisfying. You can have a double serving and only be out 240 calories. Save them for after dinner and enjoy.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Clean your teeth. That seems to work for me. The minty taste puts me off eating anything
  • eDonatti
    eDonatti Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have that - it's not that I don't want to eat sweets in the evening but if I start eating anything sugary after dinner I just can't stop myself. That's why I'm having the dinner as late as possible - if I feel cravings before (because I'm hungry) I eat something sweet then move onto dinner. After dinner I have large cup of tea. That works for me.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Change your mindset. The fact is, you can eat any sweet at any time, as long as you maintain your calorie deficit. Once you begin to get rid of the idea of sweets as "bad," then you're less likely to go overboard when you do eat them.
  • Sugar_Cloud
    Sugar_Cloud Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have no self control when it comes to sweets (you'll see in my diary I had more than a few tablespoons of condensed milk the other day :| ). At this point I simply don't have any in the house hubby bought the condensed milk). Maybe one day I will be someone who can have 1 square of chocolate, wrap up the rest and put it back in the cupboard but right now I'm not. I still order dessert or a toblerone cocktail when we go out, I stll LOVE sweets but at home I try to stick to savoury things for the most part.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    2essie wrote: »
    Clean your teeth. That seems to work for me. The minty taste puts me off eating anything

I like this! After brushing my teeth in the morning when I don't have time for breakfast, I'm not hungry until lunchtime. I know the dentists say to brush two or three times a day, but fact is, I have never brushed my teeth in the evening. Thanks so much! Evening munchies hit me, as well. My teeth thank you and my future skinniness thanks you!
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm another who loves sweet treats. Fruit doesn't satisfy Like cakes and pies or mmmmm... Gummy bears. And once I start... I have a hard time stopping. That's the problem and why I've had to cut these things out while I'm trying to lose 20 pds.

If I snacked on candy and sweets I most likely would go over my calorie allotment Or wouldn't be getting my daily nutrients due to the empty calories of candy and cakes. Personally... I'm not just doing this for weight loss. I want to be healthy and strong too.

That said... Try some plan non fat
    Yogurt. 1 or 2 tablespoons of agave or honey. And canned fruit of choice (i like dole pineapple). I sometimes use a bit of a nut and cranberry mix. This is surprisingly satisfying. Has a great deal of nutrients. And sweet enough to satisfy that craving but not so addicting that you want to eat more. Lol. Another thing I sometimes do is instant maple and brown sugar oatmeal. Then like others said... Brush my teeth and go to bed. I eat these about an hour before bed as a put me to sleep snack. So far since adopting this I have been able to stave off binging on sweets.

Good luck! Us sugar addicts gotta find tricks. Lol.