Just need to vent

Options
My exercise and weight loss changes have been going great, until this week. A simple backache turned into a cyst that had to be lanced in the ER and now has to be packed daily until it heals from the inside out for the next 6-8 weeks. So now instead of focusing on weight loss, I need to be promoting wound healing. I can still do my weight lifting, just carefully and with some adjustments in position for comfort... though as the wound heals this may become more of a challenge due to location and whether it would dislodge the packing. I'm a nurse so I know all about wound care and tips/tricks/things that help... it's just frustrating to be thrown totally off course.

Hopefully I can get through this without further complications and without significant weight gain.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your injury. Make sure that you follow protocols for recovery.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your medical situation. I'd be quite sad if my exercise was thwarted by injury.

But can you still go walking? That seems like a possible solution, and that's how I've lost 21 kg in 6 months.

You can also still lose weight by sticking to your calorie limit without exercise.

My kindest regards and good wishes.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    oh no, that's awful ....... do what needs to be done to heal ...... best wishes !
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I agree with ninerbuff. Just make sure you recover properly. If you don't, you could be decommissioned for a lot longer. Focus on healing and maintaining a good diet and you'll at least maintain where you are. It's just a short time frame in the grand scheme of life right? Don't stress! Get better :smile:
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    rats2010 wrote: »
    A simple backache turned into a cyst that had to be lanced in the ER and now has to be packed daily until it heals from the inside out for the next 6-8 weeks.

My sympathies! I had one in my axilla that required daily packing too. Possibly the most painful thing I have ever had the displeasure of having done. :'(
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Life will change and change and change again as time goes by. While we are working towards our goals, learning to adjust to changes that are beyond our control is extemely important. Life is going to keep changing when we get to maintenance so we will be ready for that challenge when we get there if we practice today.

I recently had to drastically change my routine because I suddenly have to work almost double the hours I was planing to work during October.

I had to look carefully at my goals and really decide what order of priority to put them in. A few of the lower priority goals will have to be put off a few weeks. I have made a new plan so that the highest priorities still happen, although in a different way then I had planned.

I am not failing to reach my goals, they are just going to take a little longer to reach than I had originally planned.