Hi, going to the military need to lose 50lbs.

Options
Hi everyone. I'm 24 at 5'9 and about to be enlisting in the military. My current weight is 230lbs. and I have to be at least 200lbs. to join. The goal for military in the long run is 175lbs. though. So overall I have 50-60lbs. To lose.

I'm planning on starting the C25K soon as Well as some push ups and sit ups among other strength training.

So hi and nice to meet you all.

Replies

• LowCoffinLucifie
    LowCoffinLucifie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Set your weight loss goals here, and do the things that you enjoy (or can at least tolerate more) and burn some extra calories. The body weight exercises are probably a good idea, as boot camp almost always uses a lot of that depending on the branch you go into.

I'd bet that by the time you drop the weight to go in, your fitness will be a lot better already. Anything beyond that they will take care of in boot camp. :)
  • BillManoa
    BillManoa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your goals. If you can afford it, you should get a weight scale (like Withings) that connects to your smart phone as well as myfitnesspal. I
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Here are my mistakes from losing weight for when I joined the USAF:
    1. Using a fad diet to drop weight too quickly for before I went in.
    2. Losing too much additional weight quickly in boot camp cuz I was worried about the issue and didn't like the food.

Here's hoping you lose the weight safely and sanely and don't let them give you any unrealistic deadline to lose the first 30!

• LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Set your weight loss goals here, and do the things that you enjoy (or can at least tolerate more) and burn some extra calories. The body weight exercises are probably a good idea, as boot camp almost always uses a lot of that depending on the branch you go into.

I'd bet that by the time you drop the weight to go in, your fitness will be a lot better already. Anything beyond that they will take care of in boot camp. :)

Yah I really wanna get at least a bit ahead before I get there. :) body weight exercises are gonna be both my best friend and my worst enemy lol.
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    BillManoa wrote: »
    Good luck with your goals. If you can afford it, you should get a weight scale (like Withings) that connects to your smart phone as well as myfitnesspal. I

A weight scale for body or food? I'm assuming body just not sure :)
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Here are my mistakes from losing weight for when I joined the USAF:
    1. Using a fad diet to drop weight too quickly for before I went in.
    2. Losing too much additional weight quickly in boot camp cuz I was worried about the issue and didn't like the food.

Here's hoping you lose the weight safely and sanely and don't let them give you any unrealistic deadline to lose the first 30!

Yah I've done the fad diets and even the bad fad pills in the last. Needless to say I got sick and saw no progress in the end. I plan on doing everything the safe but right way this time. Thanks for the info though glad to know I'm not the only one who's done it in the past.

I plan on losing only what is safe I'm in no rush to join. So that helps.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

Yah I really wanna get at least a bit ahead before I get there. :) body weight exercises are gonna be both my best friend and my worst enemy lol.

You will be shocked at low much easier the body weight exercises get as you lose weight. I've lost weight slowly and tried not to lose or really build any new muscle, but my body weight exercises have gotten easier with every pound dropped.

Are you already in a delayed entry program, and if so what branch of service did you pick?
  • Ycarter1272
    Ycarter1272 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm Yolle. My goal is to lose 50lbs. I had reached 35lbs lost but the stress came the exercise stopped and the eating started. Not much food but the sedentary lifestyle with massive amounts of cortisone put the pounds right back on. Now I've given my perceived problems to God and focusing on me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options

I don't know which he means but I have both, neither of which connect to MFP. You'll be much more accurate with your calorie counts using a digital food scale.
  • angelsfan69
    angelsfan69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and thank you for serving, the thing you really need to watch is your calories in and calories out. Don't be fooled by thinking because you can eat 500 less calories a day and loose 1 pound a week that allows you to eat more because you burn more. Your real goal is to keep your calories intake to equal or less than your total calories burned. Eat healthy food non prosser dinners and lunches, stay away from fast food, it is a trap. Even if your intention is to eat the healthiest thing on the menu, you may have the willpower once twice or even three times, remember that you are doing is a life change to achieve what you really want. Also watch your Macros that is the amount of carbs, fat and proteins intake per day. Also eat 6 or more meals a day this keeps your energy levels from falling during your workouts. in order to burn 1500 to 2000 calories a day you will also probable have to break up your workouts to 2 or more season a day. Start off slow and work up to it. The weight will fall off, just give yourself time and don't get discurage. Try short fast paste workouts getting her heart rate up is important, you don't need to be a marathon runner.
    . This is going to require you're xtream due diligence and planning. But you can do this if this is truly what you want make this your top priority. Anything worth doing in life is worth the effort.

• BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options

You will be shocked at low much easier the body weight exercises get as you lose weight. I've lost weight slowly and tried not to lose or really build any new muscle, but my body weight exercises have gotten easier with every pound dropped.

Are you already in a delayed entry program, and if so what branch of service did you pick?

I picked army, and yah I'm sure things will get easier with time, it just feels like an eternity lol. I have to lose some weight before I enter but once I hit 200lbs I can join.
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I don't know which he means but I have both, neither of which connect to MFP. You'll be much more accurate with your calorie counts using a digital food scale.

Yah I plan on picking up both soon. :)
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    Congratulations and thank you for serving, the thing you really need to watch is your calories in and calories out. Don't be fooled by thinking because you can eat 500 less calories a day and loose 1 pound a week that allows you to eat more because you burn more. Your real goal is to keep your calories intake to equal or less than your total calories burned. Eat healthy food non prosser dinners and lunches, stay away from fast food, it is a trap. Even if your intention is to eat the healthiest thing on the menu, you may have the willpower once twice or even three times, remember that you are doing is a life change to achieve what you really want. Also watch your Macros that is the amount of carbs, fat and proteins intake per day. Also eat 6 or more meals a day this keeps your energy levels from falling during your workouts. in order to burn 1500 to 2000 calories a day you will also probable have to break up your workouts to 2 or more season a day. Start off slow and woraloalong it. The weight will fall off, just give yourself time and don't get discurage. Try short fast paste workouts getting her heart rate up is important, you don't need to be a marathon runner.
    . This is going to require you're xtream due diligence and planning. But you can do this if this is truly what you want make this your top priority. Anything worth doing in life is worth the effort.

Thank you. I defiantly plan on splitting up my exercises, and I've stopped eatting fast food along with drinking only water and eatting a lot of salads and veggies. ;)
  • gabbrielle08
    gabbrielle08 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am trying to join the military too. I have 40 pounds to lose.
  • gabbrielle08
    gabbrielle08 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well, 29 more pounds to lose
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    Options
    I am trying to join the military too. I have 40 pounds to lose.

Awesome what branch?