Gorging at night

Options
I do very very well during the day. Every night for the last month I have went to bed and woke him up. I go in the kitchen and have a free-for-all eating binge. I guess I am consuming maybe 2 to 3000 calories. Every day I promised myself this will happen and every night I fail

Replies

• Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You could try to consume most of your calories in the evening, but, of course, that means that you will need to eat less during the day.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    What would you do if there was no food to gorge on in the cupboard?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are eating too little for the day. What is your weight loss goal per week?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you over restricting during the day?Pre-log your days to include a night time snack.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    throw unhealthy food away - today
    you would not gorge if you had to make lentil soup or quinoa in the middle of the night.

Unnecessary
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie deficit too aggressive?

You can bank calories for night eating - but it's got to be within your goal.

No harm in keeping sorely tempting foods out of the house while you're changing eating habits. You can always reintroduce them when you've got a better handle on how you're eating and your behaviors have modified. But don't go nuts with restriction because it almost always backfires.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    you would not gorge if you had to make lentil soup or quinoa in the middle of the night.

Unnecessary

+1 Throwing away food is wrong!
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Unnecessary

Agree.

• purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're eating other times, like others said. Personally I make sure to eat a smaller breakfast and lunch, with a larger dinner and the rest of my calories for evening snacks. I make sure my evening snacks are low calorie, so can feel like I'm eating more. Also prelogging helps a lot, have you tried that? One thing to keep in mind, binging stretches your stomach so you'll continue to feel super hingry. If you can keep that in mind and force yourself to stick to your calorie limit, after a bit you'll be less hungry.

• Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Great advice.
    Night eating was never an issue for me, but mindless snacking throughout the day was. I did a full pantry and fridge sweep, boxed up EVERYTHING that was unhealthy and gave it to a friend. The result was no more mindless eating. It now takes more effort to cook/bake something high calorie than it does to grab some grapes or a banana. It's a bigger hassle to leave the house to run through a drive through than it is to grab some pre-sliced carrots or celery from the fridge.
    Throw out the food you gorge on, spend one day a week on meal prep (for me it's every Sunday) to wash, slice and portion out fruits and veggies to keep on hand. Problem solved.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

Unnecessary

Agree.

For everyone who thinks throwing away food is wrong, my friend and her two kids were thankful and happy to receive two free boxes of food.

• vivmom2014
    Options

Unnecessary

Agree.

For everyone who thinks throwing away food is wrong, my friend and her two kids were thankful and happy to receive two free boxes of food.

That's fantastic for your friend. When people say "throw away food" I envision them pitching it into their kitchen trash bag and putting it out on the curb.

• queenliz99
    Options

Unnecessary

Agree.

Which is different then throwing out food!! Way to go!!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Unnecessary

Agree.

Then you didn't throw it away. There's a difference. Many people actually throw it away.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Nightfly01 wrote: »
    I do very very well during the day. Every night for the last month I have went to bed and woke him up. I go in the kitchen and have a free-for-all eating binge. I guess I am consuming maybe 2 to 3000 calories. Every day I promised myself this will happen and every night I fail

Change your weight loss goals to 1/2 pound per week or even move to maintenance while you get this figured out.
    Maybe you need more of something during the day like more fats and oils or more leafy veggies.
    Are you getting enough sleep? When I am missing sleep for weeks on end, I feel like I want to eat.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are eating too little for the day. What is your weight loss goal per week?
    This.
    Also, I tend to have the same problem, so I wait a few hours to eat after I wake up, so when I do eat in the evening, i don't go over my caloric intake or maintenance. I loosely follow Leangains.

Unnecessary

Yep. Donate the food to a shelter.
  • marcus_mohandas
    marcus_mohandas Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try intermittent fasting. I used to have the same problem where I would snack every 10 minutes at night. With this diet, I don't allow myself to eat after 8pm, otherwise it ruins the whole diet. I don't eat from 8pm until lunchtime the next day. (Drink black coffee when I wake up in the morning, 0 calories and very filling, and a good energy boost before the gym).

I eat a big lunch and small dinner, but if night snacking is a problem for you, eat a small lunch and a big dinner. So you'd want to eat 500 calories at lunch (2pm) and 1000 calories at dinner(7:30pm). You will stay full if you have strategic fruit snacks(2 a day, one at 12pm, and one at 5pm)

Best thing is you don't have to be super strict about what you eat, I manage to fit a small chocolate in everyday. You don't have to worry about what you eat as much as you have to worry about when you eat and how much you eat, which in my opinion is better.

Look up kinobody on YouTube, he gives good advice on this stuff.

I've lost 14kg's away from my goal and I have a month and a half of dieting before I get there, which is nothing really. It's been more effective than any other diet I've ever tried
  • marcus_mohandas
    marcus_mohandas Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention, those numbers are based on the metabolism of a male. Also, if you do cardio, eat the amount of calories you burned in addition to the 1500, you don't want to go too low, it's actually worse for weight loss to crash diet.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Are you taking one of those sleep medications that interferes with inhibitions?