exercise bike vs heavy bag for fat loss and fitness

Options
What is your opinion on exercise bikes vs punching bags for fat loss and fitness. I would be doing 20 mins of hiit training per day but which one do you think is better and why? Thanks

Replies

• PieAndLattes
    PieAndLattes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything scientific to bring to the table, but I do know that, for me, the best activity is the one that you like to do more. You'll do it longer, with more intensity and more often, because you'll look forward to actually doing whatever activity you've so chosen.

Something like running may be a million more calories than my chosen workout (which, for the record is riding my bike somewhat leisurely), but it doesn't burn them for me, because I hate doing it, so I don't stick with it.

Hopefully someone on here can answer your specific question, but this is just some food for thought in your decision making.
  • panchango
    panchango Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy both, why not rotate between them?

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    kpwright89 wrote: »
    What is your opinion on exercise bikes vs punching bags for fat loss and fitness. I would be doing 20 mins of hiit training per day but which one do you think is better and why? Thanks

They're completely different beasts, so it's not a question of one being better than the other.

They each have benefits and disbenefits.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    The bag is a lot more intense physically/jaring workout especially if your doing a 3 min round with 30 seconds of rest if were talking 5-6 rounds in that 20 min I say hitting a heavy bag. When I ride which is 5 days a week I need like 5 min to warm up before I go all out for 25 or 45 min. I still hit a speed bag weekly the 100 lb bag is in my past and always will be..
  • kpwright89
    kpwright89 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Good answer that made me think about it in a diffrent way thank you. I like both equally so ill might just do bag one day and bike the next day. Thanks for your reply :) quote="cvs1234;34244548"]I don't have anything scientific to bring to the table, but I do know that, for me, the best activity is the one that you like to do more. You'll do it longer, with more intensity and more often, because you'll look forward to actually doing whatever activity you've so chosen.

Something like running may be a million more calories than my chosen workout (which, for the record is riding my bike somewhat leisurely), but it doesn't burn them for me, because I hate doing it, so I don't stick with it.

Hopefully someone on here can answer your specific question, but this is just some food for thought in your decision making. [/quote]

• kpwright89
    Options
    panchango wrote: »
    If you enjoy both, why not rotate between them?

Thats exactly what im going to do thanks for your reply :)
  • kpwright89
    Options
    kpwright89 wrote: »

They're completely different beasts, so it's not a question of one being better than the other.

They each have benefits and disbenefits.

Very true thanks for the reply :)
  • kpwright89
    Options
    The bag is a lot more intense physically/jaring workout especially if your doing a 3 min round with 30 seconds of rest if were talking 5-6 rounds in that 20 min I say hitting a heavy bag. When I ride which is 5 days a week I need like 5 min to warm up before I go all out for 25 or 45 min. I still hit a speed bag weekly the 100 lb bag is in my past and always will be..

Yes I have rounds of 2 mins on the bag and 10. rounds with 30 sec rest I dont cant the rest time so all in all its about 25 mins but that demolishes me because I go all out for the 2 mins great workout sweat like crazy. Sometimes I dont feel like I have the mental endurance to do it 5 days a week tho so thought of getting an exercise bike to have day on that then a day on bag for a sort of active rest from bag.. also weight training 5 days a week