How often do you guys weigh?

Options

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I weigh monthly and take measurements weekly.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Daily. Sure, there are fluctuations, but that's just noise - the more data I have, the more accurate trends become, even though the noise is still there.
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Daily! It keeps me motivated. I take measurements once a week.
  • Samantha21784
    Samantha21784 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I check my weight almost daily but I really shouldn't. Although I'm very aware of weight fluctuations and what causes them, an increase still seems discouraging. It tends to ruin my day so I'm trying to do the weekly thing. I only record my weight every Wednesday. I read this is the day of the week that is most accurate and also the day you tend to weigh the least.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I log in my weight daily and if the scales indicates a gain, I compare that weight to the weights I recorded 7, 14 & 30 days before to see if the weight-loss trend looks decent. Most often, just looking back 7 days is enough to convince me that I'm still dropping weight and not to be concerned about an increase for a day or two or even three days.
  • sinbad714
    sinbad714 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use an app called libra . Log in every day . Surprisingly it can show a linear downward trend of my same weight loss goals of 1.5 pounds weekly. My weight goes up and down and over a months time it shows a 6 Pound loss.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I record on MFP once a week, I record every loss in Fitbit and record every day on a spread sheet that I have graphed with a trend line. Weight fluctuates, one time I lost and gained the same fraction of a pound for a couple of weeks before it was gone for good along with a few friends.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I weigh in weekly :]

I was like you - If I didn't see a loss every couple of days, I'd feel so disheartened and I'd end up doubting the process despite knowing that I was doing everything totally correctly. I'd say if you put a lot of emphasis on the scales alone, stick to weekly weighing. Daily weighing will show lots of fluctuations and if you aren't familiar with them or understand why they are happening, I'd steer clear of them for now - until you're in 'the know' about what's happening there.

• Cheeseandcats
    Cheeseandcats Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Every morning after I've gone to the bathroom and before I have anything to eat. I went a year and a half without weighing myself and gained 40lbs! (Grrr, that's embarassing!). I know everyone says to do it weekly but for me personally, it's easier to hold myself accountable if I do it daily. Even if the scale is up a little bit, it motivates me to make better choices that day!
  • nicolebaugh518
    nicolebaugh518 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Every morning.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Every morning exactly as above, bf% too. I also get an appreciation for natural fluctuations in my weight, and the scales inaccuracies. If I've not lost 0.5 kg after two weeks I start logging my diet and adjusting calories if necessary.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I used to be in the 7-10 days camp, but I got a new very accurate scale & im pretty much an everyday girl now.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I've become obsessed. I weight myself a couple times a day. I need to put the scale away! It's not healthy. I realize weight loss is not linear but I'm slightly up and obsessed with getting back below THAT number
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. The frequency makes each individual weigh in mean a lot less. I don't care what each weight is, I look for trends over time (like 4 weeks worth).
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing each day, first thing in the morning. After reading a number of threads on this site about frequency of weighing oneself, I decided to go daily so I could follow the overall trend.
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I find it useless how people weigh themselves daily due to water weight and it can become an unhealthy obsession! I do my weigh ins weekly to fortnightly which many health professionals and doctors recommend
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    KT_3009 wrote: »
    I find it useless how people weigh themselves daily due to water weight and it can become an unhealthy obsession! I do my weigh ins weekly to fortnightly which many health professionals and doctors recommend

It isn't "useless" -- if you follow a trend based on daily weight, you're actually eliminating "noise" from things like water weight. That isn't to say it's the only way to do it -- but it certainly works for some of us.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

It's only obsessive if you let it be.

I weigh daily, just mark it down and move on. I don't really pay much attention to what it says on a daily basis. I use the daily weights to calculate my trends over time. It accounts for water weight fluctuations and helps you know if you're really gaining/losing/or maintaining. This is how most daily weighers on here use the information.

This is much more accurate than looking at a number once a week/biweekly/or even monthly. You don't know if that weight is a high point (water weight retention) or if its a "real" weight because you don't have the rest of the data.

For example: I have 157.2 pounds pop up at least once a week for the last three weeks. If those were the only days I weighed, I would think I wasn't losing weight.

But since I weigh every day, I know that my averages for each of those weeks were: 157.1, 156.1, and 155.7. So I'm actually losing at a great rate.

Getting the whole picture isn't something to condemn. If someone is obsessing over the scale, its a bad thing. But that's not what most people here are doing.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

It isn't "useless" -- if you follow a trend based on daily weight, you're actually eliminating "noise" from things like water weight. That isn't to say it's the only way to do it -- but it certainly works for some of us.

+1. If you weigh daily and calculate a moving average—especially an exponentially smoothed one—you can distinguish water weight fluctuations from a general trend. For me, it offers an early warning system against slowly regaining the weight that I lost.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Really weighing is probably my biggest issue. I obsess over the scale and I fully admit it... Maybe someday I will only have to weigh in once a week..a man can dream, lol