Recipes for dad's who hate to cook?

Options
dsdunn123
dsdunn123 Posts: 5 Member
So I'm tying to help my dad get in better shape, but he hates to cook. So he eats out of can or already prepared frozen meals from the store. Know any super easy, low prep healthy meal ideas?

Bonus points if it's picky eater approved. My little brother won't eat anything but junk food, and my dad cooks for him, making it hard for them both to eat healthy. Ideas would be appreciated!

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    emilybites.com ....skinnytaste.com....canyoustayfordinner.com ....chef-in-training.com ....all of these websites have easy but yummy recipes
  • lindsaylaine
    lindsaylaine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am picky and so are my kids..not to mention I'm allergic to wheat and eggs! I find it hard to find things I like to eat that are healthy and quick. Schwans(if it's available where you are) has meals/items that are called live smart..they are healthier than some. Their lemon pepper chicken breasts are great. Frozen veggies are a better option than canned. Eating healthy is definitely a challenge in our junk food world!
  • 0utrun
    0utrun Posts: 71 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Have you tried setting aside a day to meal prep for the week? I've done this with huge success. Just plan out what meals you want to eat and grill/steam/bake everything the same day, then put them in individual containers for the week. Just throw in the freezer until you are ready to eat it. Bento box containers work really well and are portion control sized so you don't even have to think about it once you've made it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well unless you're living with your dad, if he hates cooking, he's not going to change his habits.

But you asked for easy ideas, so get him a George Foreman grill, that way he can buy sausages/chicken breasts/pork chops/steaks that cook in 5 minutes and frozen veggies that steam in the bag in 5 minutes... 5 minutes meals. But even then, if someone hates cooking, and don't care about losing weight enough, it's probably going to be too much work (speaking from experience).
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    0utrun wrote: »
    Have you tried setting aside a day to meal prep for the week? I've done this with huge success. Just plan out what meals you want to eat and grill/steam/bake everything the same day, then put them in individual containers for the week. Just throw in the freezer until you are ready to eat it. Bento box containers work really well and are portion control sized so you don't even have to think about it once you've made it.

I have had great success doing this and even bringing meals to elderly family members who are in similar situations.