50 g carbs/2200 cal menu?

Options
kbsangel1986
kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Google sucks or I'm not typing the right combination of words. Diabetes runs in my family, and while I am already making steps to correct my relationship with food, I want to try going lower carb. I already know to avoid the "whites" and processed things, but what I am really looking for is an idea of what a 2200 calorie, 50 g of carbs or less menu looks like. Ideas?

Edit: No, I am not diabetic or prediabetic. Doc is ok with me going low carb

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    when I do 50 grams of carbs and 2000+ calories its typically beef, chicken, fish, shrimp, a shake etc. I raise my fat to 100-125 grams and my protein to 200 grams..
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Try doing a search on self nutrition data. Most non industrialized animal products and some industrialized soy products (soy protein isolates) can easily fulfill your requirements. By definition it is not a balanced diet.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    From my hubby's meal plan hand-out - 2,000 calorie plan (sorry, there was no plan for 2,200)
    Carbs.................................# servings....# grams per serving
    starch......................................9.....................15
    Fruit........................................6.....................15
    Milk........................................3......................12
    Vegetables.............................4........................5 gram carb servings
    Meat & Meat substitutes............6
    Fat.............................................5

This chart was not all that helpful, nor was any of the other information he got in the day-long diabetes education class he took at a hospital. We found that preplanned meals just didn't work, as we stressed out buying some foods that we would rarely use on a plan, i.e., eat 1/4 of this package, then throw the rest away because it will spoil by the time it comes up again in the meal plan.

Much easier to follow is this advice from the Joslin Diabetes Center at Harvard School of Medicine http://www.joslin.org/info/diet_and_diabetes_a_personalized_approach.html This article advocates 40% of calories from carbs, 20-30% from protein, and 30-35% from fat.

And this from webMD http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/10-diabetes-diet-myths#2

You could try looking at the foods and meals you already eat, and see where they fit in the guidelines. Hubby doesn't stress out now about whether something is in a hard & fast meal plan. He just looks at carbs, protein, & fat, and decides whether it fits with what he's already eaten that day, and what he wants to eat later.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Chicken, turkey, grass-fed beef, brocolli, protein shakes with mct oil or macadamia nut oil.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Here is a one day meal plan of 1650 calories for 14 net carbs.: Increase the protein and fat/oils.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlyd45nl7l74nqk/weekonemealplan.docx?dl=0
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    More butter and eggs :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This is a guess for me, I eat less than you. I added more to my usual diet to add calories and the extra carbs (I'm around 20g).

Breakfast : 2-3 eggs omelet with cheese, spinach and mushrooms, 2-3 slices bacon, coffee with whipping cream or coconut cream, with some protein powder.

Lunch: leftover burger patty or more with cheese and mayo, salad with liberal use of full fat salad dressing and possibly some cheese.

Dinner : steak or another nice cut of meat or seafood, some steamed broccoli with cheese sauce

Snacks : bowl of macadamia nuts and dried coconut, and / or maybe a couple of pepperoni sticks.