PIZZA Nutrition

Options
Hi,

Do most of the calories in a pizza come from the cheese?

I'm talking about a regular crust, vegetarian pizza.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'd think it comes mostly from the crust.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Depends on crust thickness and amount of cheese. Look at the pizza and just make the best guess. If it's thick crust with a lot of cheese then you know it's calorie dense, or lots of cheese and thin crust or vice versa.....just make a guess wth good judgement.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    usually its the crust, although if you got a thin crust AND extra cheese it could be about even
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's probably even between the crust and cheese. Mozzerella is a low fat cheese, but in NY, they're pretty generous with it. I have identified a couple of places where they make thin crusts and don't overload the cheese, plus the veggies are fresh, not canned.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    For my home made pizza with a relatively thin crust (not a super thin crust), the crust is 3/5ths of the calories for a pepperoni pizza (oil and flour mostly). The cheese comes in around 1/5th.
  • FitGetHealthyWork
    FitGetHealthyWork Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It depends on the pizza. How thick the crust is, what type of cheese and how much, what other toppings are on it, etc.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Scrape off and eat toppings. Throw rest away.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Some pizza dough is very high fat.......

I remember watching a cooking show (Frugal Gourmet) and cringed at the amount of oil that was added.....he was trying to replicate Pizzeria Uno.

• miks_6
    miks_6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @pizzalovingfitgirl K SORRY LAST ONE BUT YOU NEED TO SEE THIS! ITS A FORUM ABOUT PIZZA OMG
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I found that my diabetic sugars stayed on course if I went thin crust, no more than two slices.

I once watched a Pizza prepped for delivery at Pizza Hut. He sprayed the crust with oil. I'm assuming to give it an appealing sheen.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Do most of the calories in a pizza come from the cheese?

I'm talking about a regular crust, vegetarian pizza.

Depends on the pizza and how much cheese you put on it, how much oil you use in cooking, etc.

Could be.