Non Diabectic taking Metformin

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You are concerned about your weight and about beign prediabetic, are considering taking meds for weight loss, but at the same time have a goal of 3000 calories in your diary and daily consume 300 or more carbs? This makes no sense.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Going very low carb will reduce most people's appetites too...
  • dfavela1988
    dfavela1988 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    You are concerned about your weight and about beign prediabetic, are considering taking meds for weight loss, but at the same time have a goal of 3000 calories in your diary and daily consume 300 or more carbs? This makes no sense.

I agree. Alot of the times I forget to input the basketball practice that we do week in week out. I lower my carb intake I don't last or not enough energy.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Either you're leaving a lot of details out of your posts or something is off. You said your co-worker lost 'inches' in the first week of taking metformin. Doubtful.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    If you are pre-diabetic, you wouldn't be taking it purely for weight loss.

If you have pre-diabetes, the advice to lower your carb intake is spot-on. 100G/day would be a good place to start. This is not just a weight-loss issue--it is something that you need to do for general health.

It sounds like accurate logging would be a good first goal for you.

It isn't necessary to have a high-carb diet in order to work out hard/regularly.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Like any other drug, metformin has side effects and you should seriously consider whether the benefits outweigh the advantages. One of the main issues with metformin is that it can compromise kidney function.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'm prediabetic too. I found it is possible to control my BG using diet, and that exercise also helps. I personally want to avoid most drugs if possible.

I do the same. My SIL lost weight the first few months she was on metformin, but now has gained it back and more.
  • AppetiteControlFreak
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    i saw your food log
    just stop eating the carbage (junk carb foods)
    then consider supplements
    no more poptarts, cheetos, doritos, cheesecake, donuts for a while
    focus on protein, fiber, and complex carbs - real foods
    that medicine can have side effects you simply do not want in your life

more answer: side effects, please read them all
    some include difficulty breathing, vomiting, etc
    do you want to take the medicine for the rest of your life? or do you want to learn to eat real foods you cook yourself? not that hard to learn - you can do it !!!

NO
    OP, it's irrelevant what you eat, it's how much you eat.

Why would you need a medication for weight loss? Eat at a deficit and you'll lose.

What you eat always matters

There is some MFP myth that all calories are equal in what they deliver to our bodies.

The deficit is king for weight loss. Either by limiting calories in, or increasing calories burned. A balanced nutritional intake matters too

There is no sensible reason to ignore nutritional content.

It all matters.

For those suspect of an insulin resistance issue, content of calories matters even more.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23147210 found metformin to help with weight loss.
  • dfavela1988
    Options
    lokihen wrote: »
    Either you're leaving a lot of details out of your posts or something is off. You said your co-worker lost 'inches' in the first week of taking metformin. Doubtful.

Yea she's a little more bigger below the waist. She lost 2.3 pounds and a little over an inch on the waist. That can be a number of things but she notices that her pants fit losser and doing this while on the metformin. So I do believe that while she's on trail with this med.
  • JustSandra28
    JustSandra28 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I take metformin for psos also. It has helped with weight loss. Before taking it I could not lose. I was sick as a dog for the first 3 days but its been 4 months. I have lost 50#
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Metformin on an empty stomach can make you slightly nauseous. It can reduce your hunger. Along with a balanced low calorie diet it can help you lose weight.

You can manage to out-eat Metformin's benefits.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I think the first couple of weeks my stomach hurt so badly from it that it was hard to eat! So there's some weight there. After that, I lost weight from it at a greater rate than my calories would suggest, very noticeably. But then once my BG got good, I didn't notice any 'extra' weight loss like I did for those couple of months. I still did lose weight, but I was still trying.

But I went to maintenance so soon after that it may be easier for me to lose weight now than originally and I wouldn't know it. My maintenance is higher than expected.

Those fast couple of months were fast enough that I started to worry in case it always kept up like that! I've never lost weight so quickly. I was glad when it stopped, because forcing myself to eat makes me not like food.
  • dfavela1988
    Options
    Great experiences. Thanks. So far i will modify my diet and see if theres any changes for a few weeks. I just dont like to take meds that i dont need. I know that my A1c jumps alround but has never been higher than a 5.9 and thats with a worst diet that i am on now without any exercises. i know that if i can keep it up with more workouts and better diet i would see results. The issue with that is i have been doing it for over 5 months now and at the same weight 5 pounds up or down. Thats why i like to hear feedback on this med.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I bet if you tighten up your logging you will see great results :)
  • JunoBeachVan
    JunoBeachVan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic on Metformin, I can't think of a WORSE idea than a doctor suggesting taking it for weight loss. It does NOTHING for weight loss.
  • dfavela1988
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I bet if you tighten up your logging you will see great results :)

Agreed, weigh your bananas, grapes, cereal, protein powder, and tortilla chips. Ceviche's not a bad option, but avoid logging "homemade" unless you made it yourself. And I know that you've said you need some carbs for energy for exercise, but if you increase the nutrient density of your carbs (re: some more veggies, beans, potatoes, maybe ditch a pop tart or donut every now and then), you may wind up with a mix with more fiber that's better for your health issues.

Yea those little things are really hurting my results no matter how small they are it makes a difference. I will tighten up and decrease calorie intake as well. What would seem a reasonable target? I lowered it to 2400 and start there as a baseline in the mean time so my body can get used to smaller meals and carbs.

Crazy to think that many people do take this med for weight loss.