Let's LOSE weight until our pants are LOOSE!

Options
Did you LOSE your motivation?
Do you have LOOSE morals?
I hate it when I don't LOSE at least a pound a week.
Why do some kids wear such LOOSE fitting pants?
Don't LOSE sight of your goals.
My cat slipped out of her collar because it was too LOOSE.

>_>

<_<

Replies

• KimmyKicksAss
    KimmyKicksAss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do hope people understand the difference. I cringe everytime I see someone use those terms "loosely"
  • sharonbostwick
    sharonbostwick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE it if my pants were LOOSE!! See I do have loose morals, and live in a place that loves to eat and drink!! Now I want to FEEL GOOD, and enjoy life healthy! Thanks for the motivation ya'll! >:)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    And sometimes when I ADVISE people about how to lose weight, they don't take my ADVICE.

^^Another one that people mess up a lot.
  • ApolakiKali
    ApolakiKali Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Pants are overrated. Just saying. ;)
  • Triskele2
    Triskele2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Those people standing over there enjoy their coffee even though they're newbie Starbucks haters.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the ones who want to lose until the pants fall off. But first they need to become loose.
  • pierceygirl
    pierceygirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm at the "struggling to button my pants" stage!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter? We know what people mean.
  • Triskele2
    Options

Everyone has a pet peeve--those little things that grate on your nerves. For me it's use of the word "tasty" and people who type "loose" when they mean "lose."
  • Triskele2
    Options
    Pants are overrated. Just saying. ;)

Agreed :)
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options

I agree with @Triskele2, that it's really just a pet peeve. Along with "should of/would of/could of" instead of "should've/would've/could've".

And no, it doesn't really matter here, on a fitness message board. Perfect grammar is not a prerequisite to post here. However, such ignorance of the basics of grammar does matter in the real world. Do you really think that if someone makes such errors here, that they use perfect grammar when writing a college admissions essay or putting together a resume?

I'm not saying we should call people out on their grammatical errors (and even if I were saying that, it's against forum rules). But I don't think it's unreasonable to be annoyed by it.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Posting on a forum can no way be compared to a resume or an essay.

Such 'ignorance' of the basics of grammar way be due to someone's first or second language not being English or to lack of education due to family or socio-economic circumstances beyond their or their family's control.

While this thread doesn't specifically call people out, it is in fact calling people generally.

Being annoyed by it and making light of it in a way that may embarrass some people are two different things.

• booksandchocolate12
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Please. Of course I'm not referring to people for whom English is not a first language, which is why I would never say to anyone, "It's LOSE not LOOSE. Don't you know anything????"

I didn't compare forum posting to writing a resume or essay. I never said they were the same, or equally important. In fact, I believe I said the opposite.

I merely said that it's not a great leap to think that if people make those errors here, they likely make them elsewhere in life. You don't think that's likely? You believe that someone whose posts contain a multitude of grammatical errors goes forth in life and produces eloquent, perfectly written masterpieces? OK....

I don't know why you're getting so indignant. I don't equate someone's knowledge of grammar (or lack thereof) with their worth as a person.

In any event, I don't want to further derail what started out as a lighthearted pet peeve thread, and I'm sure you don't either, so I'm out!
  • Triskele2
    Options
    Apologies for creating this thread and perhaps a forum moderator could remove it since it's causing problems. That wasn't my intention at all.

I was simply trying to educate in a gentle manner since the misuse of the word "loose" on here is so incredibly rampant.

Personally if I was making a common grammatical mistake like that I would want someone to say to me, "Trisk, for the love of all that is holy, it's 'LOSE'!!!!!!!!"

Anyway, sincere apologies to anyone I've offended.

<and now we return you to your regular programming>