Desperate

Options
Hi!
I've been logging everything religiously for the past three months and I have just lost one kilogram... I follow NHS couch25K and am about to finish week6. I slide off at times but not that much. What am I doing wrong.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Barring medical condition or medication that prevents weight loss or causes weight gain, it is highly probable that you area eating more than you think you are.

Are you measuring and weighing everything that you eat and drink?
  • BackupFridge
    BackupFridge Posts: 105 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    One kilo in three months means in all likelihood, you're underestimating how much you consume and/or overestimating how much you burn.

Stay committed to posting data but recheck all of it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you aiming at? Either your goal is too high for your weight or you are not logging as accurately as you think you are.
  • pierceygirl
    pierceygirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am having some success after years of ups and downs and failure. Now, I don't eat flour or sugar. It's really simplified my food choices. Also, I will curb hunger between meals with a poach egg or two. It usually helps. Good luck.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary and provide your stats?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're not logging properly

Are you weighing your food? Everything? Are you checking the database entries you're using

Are you halving your exercise calories from MFP / machines?

Is your activity level set right?
  • zoonaferoza2015
    zoonaferoza2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone... Listening to you all I have gathered Some info on what I am doing wrong... I'm 5 ' 3 weighing 70 kgs.... According to MFP I should be eating1200 per day.. up until dinner time I track properly because it's mostly cereal and fruits and two cups of tea without sugar of semi skimmed milk so I know what I am having..... Then I go for a run.. Since I am Asian dinner consists of typical Asian dishes in oil with tortilla wrap sometimes even naan... Although I am almost always within my calorie limit unless once in a blue moon I decide to go over the limit but I am not weighing it.also when I track my occasional walks I don't halve the calories the counter says I have burnt.... I don't subtract the calories I burn via running .
    What I have gathered is I don't weigh the home cooked food although I take small portions and trying to have only one tortilla wrap instead of one and a half... I use diet Pepsi to curb my hunger pangs... Could that be a problem
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone... Listening to you all I have gathered Some info on what I am doing wrong... I'm 5 ' 3 weighing 70 kgs.... According to MFP I should be eating1200 per day.. up until dinner time I track properly because it's mostly cereal and fruits and two cups of tea without sugar of semi skimmed milk so I know what I am having..... Then I go for a run.. Since I am Asian dinner consists of typical Asian dishes in oil with tortilla wrap sometimes even naan... Although I am almost always within my calorie limit unless once in a blue moon I decide to go over the limit but I am not weighing it.also when I track my occasional walks I don't halve the calories the counter says I have burnt.... I don't subtract the calories I burn via running .
    What I have gathered is I don't weigh the home cooked food although I take small portions and trying to have only one tortilla wrap instead of one and a half... I use diet Pepsi to curb my hunger pangs... Could that be a problem

So then you haven't been logging religiously. It's not Diet Pepsi; you're eating too much.

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    up until dinner time I track properly because it's mostly cereal and fruits and two cups of tea without sugar of semi skimmed milk so I know what I am having.....

If you aren't weighing your food you don't have any idea what you are having.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I changed a lot of my diet to lose. I am petite,too, so the margin of error is tiny. What helps is to add vegetables to meals. Lots of them. More than you think. And I had to cut out most of what I consider pretty healthy meals and just eat very differently for now, anyway.

BUT....I set my goals, found the actual calorie amount that works to lose and my appetite has adjusted. Exercise really helped me meet my goals, and next week, I'm hoping to get back to that. Working too much this past month to work that in. I found it was really challenging to lose and NOT have that exercise worked in. I never eat back those calories.

I've had to cut out a lot of stuff I really like.......even non-fat lattes! 150 calories? No way I can burn that many calories on something that doesn't resemble real food. lol

Good thing I'm on an good losing plan, or I'd have given up. The slow, slow,slow loss wouldn't keep me motivated for long.

Just mess around with actual meals until you find what works.
  • zoonaferoza2015
    Options
    Okay. Any suggestions for appropriate dinner
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My lunch replaces fresh vegetables with noodles or rice......maybe something that cuts out the oil and doesn't require bread?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Without ever having logged the recipes, you have no clue what you are eating, and obviously it is mroe than you wish it to be. I can cook X meal and e.g. have a total of 500 calories per serving, someone else might cook the same meal, same servings but because of difference in ingredients end up with 700 calories per serving. Or my portion could be double of what someone else considers a portion and so on. If you are going to go by calories, you need to log accurately, all ingrdients, at least for a few weeks, so you can figure out what can change.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

This is your problem.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Because you aren't weighing all your foods, you really have no real accurate idea of your calories consumed.
    Buy a food scale. Weigh all your foods, log them here accurately.
    Diet soda has nothing to do with this. Your issue is inaccuracy.
    When I first started , I did the same exact thing and also wondered why I wasn't losing. Its a common mistake. So just get yourself a food scale and you'll be fine :)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Okay. Any suggestions for appropriate dinner
    What you are eating can be appropriate as long as you calculate how many calories it contains.

For weight loss, it's not about what you eat but how many calories it contains.

Log everything.

Do you cook your own or does someone else do the cooking? If you do the cooking, weigh and measure everything that goes into the recipe that has calories (even the cooking oil) so that you have the calories for the entire recipe. You can then weight the whole recipe after it's cooked and weigh your portion so that you can calculate the calories for the fraction that you eat. If someone else cooks, see if you can help them once so that you can get a baseline for the recipe to at least give you a ballpark on calories.
  • random5483
    random5483 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's very easy to underestimate calories in food. This is especially so with foods with a lot of oil and bread. In your posts you mentioned that you don't weigh your dinner and that it consists of dishes in oil and breads (tortilla wraps/naan). These are dishes where you can very easily misjudge the calories if you don't weigh the individual components. If you were eating just vegetables with a teaspoon of oil, then weighing might not be as important. While I would lean towards weighing whenever possible, some foods are easier to estimate than others. The foods you describe are not easy to estimate and small deviations can result in large caloric discrepancies.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything you consume. It is honestly an eye opener.
  • zoonaferoza2015
    Options
    Thank you guys for the awesome advice... Was about to give up but your support picked me right up and pointed me to the right direction..
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what Asian ethnicity you are but you might want to take a hard look at your ingredients. I am Korean so my food tends to be high in vegetables and fish. Most of my food is cooked as a stew or steamed, or very lightly stir fried in oil. I try to stay away from the dishes that are heavily fried in oil. Rice and noodles are main staple of Asian dishes. They are not bad, but for me carbs does not help shed the pounds. So for now I am avoiding rice and noodles, even the high fiber versions. So part of weight loss is understanding is how certain foods affect your weight loss. Some Asian food calls for ingredients like coconut milk, sugar, etc... These things will not help with weight loss. My mom makes kim chee without sugar. So I usually eat her version rather than store-bought ones, where I am not sure about the sugar content. Some of the thai dishes that I make that calls for coconut milk, I use the lite version, but I try not to eat too much of these types of dishes either. I agree with everyone else weigh your food. I what you think is a small potion may not be the appropriate amount you should be eating for a particular dish. Don't drink soda to curb your appetite. I love soda, but I drink it now more as treat rather than as part of my daily meal. Drink more water and replace snacks with something more healthy, nuts, fruit, veggies, etc... Just watch your portions and see how the food affects your weight.