Losing sleep - anxiety

Options

Replies

• KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    KT_3009 wrote: »
    I was going to suggest the breathing technique... have you tried the apps for it? One of the best apps I've ever spent money on (I think they have free versions). I never heard the end of the tape, I'm always asleep before it ends.

I recently downloaded a sleep well app and an asmr app to listen to! I will have to put those to use tonight and hopefully they will calm me down a bit :) thanks for the info

If you are familiar with Gentlewhispering, I use one of her vids every night to get to sleep. I can't turn off my mind either. I've been the anti-anxiety drug route, and it was a bad experience for me. I also listen to audiobooks - most nights, I start off with one, listen until I'm a little sleepy, then switch to the ASMR vid, and most of the time I'm out in a couple of minutes. I think it's become a little bit like Pavlov's dog for me - the longer I listen to the one video, knowing I usually fall asleep to it, it seems it only takes a few words and my brain knows "fall asleep now".

Hope this helps.

I've listened to gentle whispering she is amazing, but for some reason my mind still won't full relax when listening to asmr..
  • KT_3009
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    If I'm exercising vigorously, I will usually sleep about 7 hours. If not, the anxiety will rear it's head and wake me up after a couple hours. I try to employ natural remedies for anxiety insomnia, which I have had off and on for many years.
    • Breathing techniques - inhale through the nose for 3 seconds, hold for 3 seconds, exhale deeply through the mouth for 3 seconds. Repeat 3 or more times. This is very relaxing.
    • Melatonin
    • Valerian Root
    • Prayer
    • Meditation
    • Pick a craft project I want to do and plan it in my head (weird, I know but it helps me)
    If all else fails (and after about 20 minutes of wakefulness) I will just read or play games on my Kindle for an hour or so. Usually, I'll be tired enough to fall back asleep for another couple hours, but if not, I just get up and start my day early.

There are a lot of people who do not sleep a full 8 hours a night. Many very successful (and brilliant) people only sleep 4-6 hours a night. There are actually many different sleep cycle patterns that are considered "normal". I used to sleep about 7 hours a night, but now I believe I am "byphasic" (two separate sleep cycles per day).

Thanks for the great tips :) I will definitely be trying out meditation
  • KT_3009
    Options
    I have trouble with terrible bouts of insomnia and also have anxiety. I have been prescribed a sleep aid (ambien) that I take when needed. I've had the same bottle of 30 pills for a year. I use it only when I've had 3 night of horrible sleep in a row (my insomnia is the type where you fall asleep but just keep waking up, sometimes after only being asleep for less than a minute).

Some things I've done to prevent taking medication unless truly necessary:

-Ditched my alarm clock and instead use my phone as my alarm. Not being able to see the hours tick away as I fall asleep and wake up helps me to be less stressed about my sleep.
    -Less caffeine. I tend to drink caffeine on a usual day only until around 11 am and then it's usually just water after that. On the weekends I'll have caffeine later.
    -Light blocking curtains. This has helped my room to stay more comfortable until I'm ready to wake.

I hope you find something to help. If you want to try melatonin, be sure to talk to your physician first.

I might have to invest in some light blocking curtains as mine are quite flimsy and I've recently given up coffee and energy drinks :) I will see what the doctor says about melatonin before I buy any
  • KT_3009
    Options
    Oh, I want to add something. OP, if you are on anxiety medications DO NOT TAKE valerian root. This absolutely must be discussed with a doctor first and can be highly dangerous to mix.

Thanks for letting me know!
  • KT_3009
    Options
    i take melatonin low dose 1 hour before sleep time
    http://www.amazon.com/Schiff-Melatonin-Tablets-L-Theanine-Chamomile/dp/B005D2TB9G
    (but I truly needed help) - eventually hope to stop
    just about every store sells this

I have heard about melantonin and am quite intrigued with what is say it helps with. I may have to give it a go, Thanks!

please be aware melatonin is a hormone and it is better not to supplement with it. get morning sun in your eyes, get some sun in the afternoon, cut lights at night and computer time 2 hours before bed. this will help set your circadian ryhym and your body will produce its own melatonin.

Good idea.. I do tend to have trouble not using electronics before going to sleep but I may have to stop myself using them :)
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I also have anxiety problems and can't sleep. Feel free to add me.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    I also have anxiety problems and can't sleep. Feel free to add me.

Anxiety is such a huge thing these days, wishing you the best :) and added you
  • nrp317
    nrp317 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Google 'sleep hygiene' for behavior techniques.
    Also check with doctor for some possible medication help.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Google 'sleep hygiene' for behavior techniques.
    Also check with doctor for some possible medication help.

Yes I was prescribed a low dose anti-anxiety medication today, which I'm hoping helps ease my anxiety and might help with my sleep.. But I will have to look up sleep hygiene tonight
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    KT,

Another recent thread dealing with anxiety. I thought it might interest you.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10266629/success-stories-from-people-who-suffer-with-anxiety#latest
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Oh, I want to add something. OP, if you are on anxiety medications DO NOT TAKE valerian root. This absolutely must be discussed with a doctor first and can be highly dangerous to mix.

I think there are several others that shouldn't be used as well. Some natural items such as Saint John's Wart and others.

Very good catch and advice Gaelicstorm.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    KT,

Another recent thread dealing with anxiety. I thought it might interest you.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10266629/success-stories-from-people-who-suffer-with-anxiety#latest

I just read it, thanks for sending me there! I love being able to read how other people have managed with their anxiety and what may/may not have worked for them.. I've been prescribed medication as of today so I'll be steering clear of the valerian root and melatonin
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    vestarocks wrote: »
    Journaling before bed and cutting back on caffeine. These two are key for me. I have no trouble falling asleep but my anxiety wakes me up and keeps me up. I write in my journal before bed and if I'm up in the night I also write what's keeping me up (usually silly things - thanks anxiety). The caffeine one is brutal especially if you are sleep deprived and trying to function but I firmly believe it is a huge contributor to anxiety. Exercise helps also.

I may have to try this out!! I am the opposite though i tend to stay up to the silly hours of the morning and than sleep until midday.. I have stopped having coffee and energy drinks which has helped a little bit but my brain is always on thinking mode through all hours of the night

I read to shut off my brain. It can't be anything too exciting, aka a "page turner." Rereads are best because I already know what's going to happen. Jean Auel's books work really well for me - her long descriptive passages hold my attention while putting me to sleep. Passages with a lot of short dialog don't work as well - apparently my brain finds this jarring.

Getting exercise earlier in the day helps tremendously.

Warm baths are nice too.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    i_miss_me wrote: »
    I have pretty bad anxiety also & excersising has helped me a lot.

Yes I am starting my exercise routine back from tomorrow the past week I have had a few doctors appointments for anxiety and just been ill

If I can't exercise, I can't sleep. End of story. Make that exercise as vigorous as you can safely manage. Good luck.

• KT_3009
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    vestarocks wrote: »
    Journaling before bed and cutting back on caffeine. These two are key for me. I have no trouble falling asleep but my anxiety wakes me up and keeps me up. I write in my journal before bed and if I'm up in the night I also write what's keeping me up (usually silly things - thanks anxiety). The caffeine one is brutal especially if you are sleep deprived and trying to function but I firmly believe it is a huge contributor to anxiety. Exercise helps also.

I may have to try this out!! I am the opposite though i tend to stay up to the silly hours of the morning and than sleep until midday.. I have stopped having coffee and energy drinks which has helped a little bit but my brain is always on thinking mode through all hours of the night

I read to shut off my brain. It can't be anything too exciting, aka a "page turner." Rereads are best because I already know what's going to happen. Jean Auel's books work really well for me - her long descriptive passages hold my attention while putting me to sleep. Passages with a lot of short dialog don't work as well - apparently my brain finds this jarring.

Getting exercise earlier in the day helps tremendously.

Warm baths are nice too.

I agree with the reading part I used to do that when it was just sleeping being my main problem but now that my anxiety is quite severe my mind is in complete overdrive (Dr said that) but I really should try it again seeing as I'm an avid book buff
  • KT_3009
    Options
    i_miss_me wrote: »
    I have pretty bad anxiety also & excersising has helped me a lot.

Yes I am starting my exercise routine back from tomorrow the past week I have had a few doctors appointments for anxiety and just been ill

If I can't exercise, I can't sleep. End of story. Make that exercise as vigorous as you can safely manage. Good luck.

Yes my first day back is tomorrow so I'm going to get into some cardio to burn myself out and than do some light weights
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips for getting a good nights sleep.. I've tried drink herbal tea before bed, trying to go to bed early and eating a smaller dinner but nothing has been working. I think my anxiety might have a lot to do with it but living off 3-5 hrs sleep is becoming a burden!
    Any tips would be amazing thanks :)

3-5 mg of Melatonin (Which I affectionately refer to as Mel) 20-30 minutes before bedtime. Also try turning off all the electronics 30-60 minutes before going to sleep, no computer, no TV, no pads or phone. Instead try reading a book before bedtime, the electronics actually increase your adrenaline which slows down your Mel production, while reading a book can increase your bodies natural ability to produce Mel.
    These are all things that have helped me, good luck.

V/r,
    DW.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for getting a good nights sleep.. I've tried drink herbal tea before bed, trying to go to bed early and eating a smaller dinner but nothing has been working. I think my anxiety might have a lot to do with it but living off 3-5 hrs sleep is becoming a burden!
    Any tips would be amazing thanks :)

3-5 mg of Melatonin (Which I affectionately refer to as Mel) 20-30 minutes before bedtime. Also try turning off all the electronics 30-60 minutes before going to sleep, no computer, no TV, no pads or phone. Instead try reading a book before bedtime, the electronics actually increase your adrenaline which slows down your Mel production, while reading a book can increase your bodies natural ability to produce Mel.
    These are all things that have helped me, good luck.

V/r,
    DW.

Great tips thanks for giving your input :) I definitely still have trouble with not using electronics mostly due to using a kindle to read and having to check my phone for work shifts (my boss sends 12am texts) but I'm going to give it a go
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    exercise is great as it tires the body. anxiety is both for me. both anxious, restless body and a crazy brain.

i used lightening bug app, it's a white noise generator.

anxiety medication can help but it can take two weeks to fully work.

i've used sleepy time tea or other teas to help me sleep. i had one with Valerian. but i talked to my dr about it.

i used to take a muscle relaxer per dr orders but now i just take Melatonin with L-theanine. sometimes chamomoile tea