Extreme fatigue!?

Options
So about 3 or 4 weeks ago I started intermittent fasting. At the 3rd week I noticed I was feeling very tired throughout the day, my eyes would get extremely heavy and I would have very minimal energy. Now I quit intermittent fasting and started to eat back on my reg schedule and I'm still experiencing the fatigue throughout the day. I realized it hits right after I eat, no matter what or how much I eat. I ate a piece of boneless skinless chicken that was only about 98 grams and I was so sleepy after I ate it and the fatigue stays with me all day. I have been getting 8 to 9 hours of sleep so I am sleeping well and I have even tried upping my cals a little and it still happens. I eat veggies and fruits pretty often too..can someone tell me what you think? Did IF do something 2 me or is it something else? can IF cause insulin sensitivity which make me crash like this when I eat? I usually go 2 the gym 4 to 5 times a week now I'm lucky if I go 2 to 3 times because I'm so tired nw..its really stressing me out..advice anyone?

Replies

• MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I recommend seeing your doctor. This could be directly related to your diet choices, or entirely unrelated. Perhaps certain mineral, vitamin, or hormone levels are low - there is really no way for us to know.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    After looking through your your diary I believe you have been under eating for awhile. When I tell people who are doing an extreme diet or crazy exercise ritual that they will eventually hit the wall. This is what I'm referring to. The human body is actually very efficient. A healthy individual can abuse their bodies for about 30 days before they hit that breaking point sometimes sooner. But it does eventually happen. The human body can survive 30 days without food. If you look at your net calories you've been pushing it too much. Slow down a little bit and settle in to a sustainable pace. Just like it took a little while for it to catch up to you its going to take a little while for your body to recoup. Maybe take a week off from exercise and up the calories a bit. Remember this is a marathon and not a sprint.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with IF, if you are doing it right. How are you doing it?

I skimmed your diary for the last few weeks, and with the exception of a few days over 2000, most of your days are less than 1200, and several are less than 900 with exercise on top of that.

It looks to me that you are not eating enough, and your body is telling you this.

Others will ask for your height, weight, age, and how much you are trying to lose. These are important in determining an appropriate daily calorie goal.

I suggest aiming to hit the minimum NET calories of 1200 per day (1200 plus 50-75% of your exercise calories) for the next few weeks. You may see an initial water weight gain on the scale when you increase your calories, because of the glycogen replenishment. This DOES NOT equal fat gain, so do not allow it to throw you off.

Do you have a food scale? In looking at the way your entries are logged, it suggests that you do not. Weighing your food is the most accurate way of knowing how much you are actually eating. The labels on packages are frequently incorrect. Those little differences can add up fast.
  • simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I skimmed your diary for the last few weeks, and with the exception of a few days over 2000, most of your days are less than 1200, and several are less than 900 with exercise on top of that.

It looks to me that you are not eating enough, and your body is telling you this.

Others will ask for your height, weight, age, and how much you are trying to lose. These are important in determining an appropriate daily calorie goal.

I suggest aiming to hit the minimum NET calories of 1200 per day (1200 plus 50-75% of your exercise calories) for the next few weeks. You may see an initial water weight gain on the scale when you increase your calories, because of the glycogen replenishment. This DOES NOT equal fat gain, so do not allow it to throw you off.

Do you have a food scale? In looking at the way your entries are logged, it suggests that you do not. Weighing your food is the most accurate way of knowing how much you are actually eating. The labels on packages are frequently incorrect. Those little differences can add up fast.

Yes I use a food scale often entries that look like I don't is probably food I ate out like at a Chinese restaurant and just are estimations..I measure everything at home..losing weight is not a problem its just nw im tired and can't exercise like I want.
  • simply_bubbz
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    After looking through your your diary I believe you have been under eating for awhile. When I tell people who are doing an extreme diet or crazy exercise ritual that they will eventually hit the wall. This is what I'm referring to. The human body is actually very efficient. A healthy individual can abuse their bodies for about 30 days before they hit that breaking point sometimes sooner. But it does eventually happen. The human body can survive 30 days without food. If you look at your net calories you've been pushing it too much. Slow down a little bit and settle in to a sustainable pace. Just like it took a little while for it to catch up to you its going to take a little while for your body to recoup. Maybe take a week off from exercise and up the calories a bit. Remember this is a marathon and not a sprint.

Yeah this makes sense...this is what I'm going 2 do and hopefully it helps thank you!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Takes a while to recover from eating significantly less than our body needs to keep the major organs including our brains running. Check nutients including vitamin B12, iron and D are high enough in what you ear each day. Highly unlikely for a good nutrition balance with less than 1200 cals a day. Takes folks including me, weeks to recover from anemia or other nutient deficiencies so be kind to yourself and eat healthy.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Yes I use a food scale often entries that look like I don't is probably food I ate out like at a Chinese restaurant and just are estimations..I measure everything at home..losing weight is not a problem its just nw im tired and can't exercise like I want.

Okay, well the remainder of my advice stands. :smile:
  • simply_bubbz
    edited October 2015
    Options

Okay, well the remainder of my advice stands. :smile:

Yes sir and it's great advice that I will take. Thank you very much!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you over restricting yourself?
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have a hard enough time getting enough iron eating 1800 calories a day, and because I'm a guy, my iron requirements are lower. Something to consider.

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000584.htm

Iron deficiency anemia

Symptoms

You may have no symptoms if the anemia is mild.

Most of the time, symptoms are mild at first and develop slowly. Symptoms may include:

Feeling grumpy
    Feeling weak or tired more often than usual, or with exercise
    Headaches
    Problems concentrating or thinking

As the anemia gets worse, symptoms may include:

Blue color to the whites of the eyes
    Brittle nails
    Desire to eat ice or other non-food things (pica)
    Light-headedness when you stand up
    Pale skin color
    Shortness of breath
    Sore tongue
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Take a iron supplement, b complx, folic acid, zinc, b12. This is wgat my dr had me do especially b12 and iron may be deficiencies bc of period. Also a prenatal is very good as well even if not expecting or desired to expect.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Take a iron supplement, b complx, folic acid, zinc, b12. This is wgat my dr had me do especially b12 and iron may be deficiencies bc of period. Also a prenatal is very good as well even if not expecting or desired to expect.

Iron supplementation should only be done under physician supervision.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    What's up with Thursday? Were you still doing IF? Did you not finish logging? You only show 545 calories eaten while earning over 300 from exercise.

I'd be tired too.

Start netting at least 1200 calories - how tall are you? - and if you still have extreme fatigue go to the doctor and get checked for deficiencies. When my anemia is untreated I have extreme fatigue but don't suggest supplementing with iron without testing first.