banking calories

Options
I was told that if I don't use my calories daily that my body will think it's starving and hold on the the pounds/fat. It was suggested not to starve myself. Also to eat 6 meals instead of 3. Example. 1. tea w/2%milk, hot oatmeal. 2. tbsp peanut butter, 4 cucumber slices, 4, carrot sticks. 3. Chicken sandwich, salad. 4. LF yogurt, 4 celery sticks 5. broiled fish fillet or Turkey burger patty fresh veggies w/no bitter or marj. 1/3 cup brown rice. 6. 90 cal fiber bar, med tomatoe.........drink lots of water. this is approx 1500 calories with very little carbs.

Replies

• MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for your own appetite and energy levels. Some people find it super helpful to eat many smaller meals a day, while others like 1 or 2 large meals, and all sorts of other options in between. Realistically, for the majority of people, when you eat has little to no affect on your weight loss. The biggest affect is whether it is a habit you can sustain throughout your weight loss and beyond.

This is true for not just daily eating habits, but also weekly. There are tons of people on this website who successfully eat lower on weekdays, and 'bank' their calories to eat more on the weekends. There are also plenty of people who need the routine of eating a set number of calories every day. But this is preference more than biological/physical necessity.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It is true if you don't eat enough calories your body will think it is in starvation mode. However, it all depends on what you are eating and how much exercise you are getting. If you are losing weight week to week I wouldn't worry about it. Once you have reached a plateau, where you can't seem to lose weight for a few weeks you will want to consider 1) changing your exercise routine (that often kick start the weight loss again) 2) the number of calories or type of food you are consuming for the amount of of exercise you are doing. If you are running or biking for miles, hours you will need enough calories (usually in the form of carbs) for the energy you expend.

You don't have to eat 6 meals vs 3 meals. I think it is what works for you. For me I eat basically 3 meals, I may have a small snack before or after a workout depending on when that workout is around meal times. The 3 meals works for me mentally. I like to feel between satisfied to full. The 6 meals did not give me the feeling so I tended to over eat. Do what works best for you as long as you are eating healthy and it is lifestyle that you can maintain even after the weight loss period is over.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth for the average person. May apply if you follow the restrictions of Minnesota Starvation Experiment.