NSV: Blood Pressure back to normal range

Options
ModernRock
ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
edited October 2015 in Success Stories
Healthy blood pressure is as much of a motivator as decreasing my waistline. As far as I can tell, my blood pressure hit a high of 148/95 in Feb 2013. For those keeping score, that's stage 1 hypertension. At the time I was sedentary, stressed out at work, and taking a break from my home improvement projects. I was a 37 year old male, and my weight was in the high 230s (at 6'2").

It got my attention, and I could feel the literal and figurative pressure, and for a couple weeks I kept track of my calories. It didn't last under those conditions and I went on to gain another 20 or so pounds by March 2015. When I realized my weight AND my blood pressure were headed in the wrong direction, I bought a pedometer and started setting goals for steps per day. Although I didn't realize it at the time, the most important step came early 2015 when a different company came calling and I changed jobs. I used some of my vacation payout to buy a bike I actually look forward to riding (albeit nothing ambitious).

A few months later (August 2015) my blood pressure had improved to 125/83 (Pre-hypertension). I still weighed just over 250. That's right, my blood pressure improved significantly by moving more and being less stressed out, even at a higher weight than when my blood pressure was at its peak.

When I started tracking calories it seemed like a set of habits that could stick. A month or so later I'm back down to the weight I was in early 2013 (high 230s), comfortably wearing pants I was no longer able to squeeze into a year ago, and my blood pressure is down to 118/74. (Normal range! I assume it's been many years since my blood pressure was normal.) I'm going to keep at it, as I'd like to get my weight down to 220 by the time I hit 40 next year, which is the weight I was in college regularly lifting weights. I already set up my free weights in the garage, and I'll get started with them this winter.

Replies

• fourterrys
    fourterrys Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Good luck on your journey!!!!
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

For me, adjusting my eating habits has been more about how much I eat rather than want I eat. I wasn't binge eating bags of chips and we've never kept snack cakes around the house. I simply ate too much too often for my level of activity. I will say, however, the biggest change is eating fewer sandwiches, fewer slices of pizza, 1 or 2 craft beers a week rather than 4 or 5, and smaller servings of pasta. Last night I had two veggie hot dogs. Both with mustard and sauerkraut (low calorie and high in flavor!), but one without a bun. I'd rather eat half a serving of ice cream or drink a gin and diet tonic any day over a silly hot dog bun.

Last weekend I made spaghetti for the kids and I divided the leftovers into 3 single serving sized containers (250 calories each) to eat for my lunch during the week. I budget my calories so that almost every night I can have a serving of ice cream.

On a somewhat silly note, I also noticed that I'm actually chewing my food. If all I'm going to have is an itsy-bitsy single portion of spaghetti, then you can bet I'm going to savor every last bit rather than swallow it whole like I used to do!
  • OutdoorCamoGirl
    OutdoorCamoGirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That's awesome news! And well done on finding how your body reacts to certain activity and stress. I know that those can be some major factors in our lives that can control so many different things.

You are truly an inspiration!!
    HUGE high five!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Great job. High BP is a killer of good health.
  • winn9524
    winn9524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    keep it going!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!