Psychology of "eating back calories"

Options
yarwell
yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
I understand the math(s) and that MFP set a deficit without exercise and expect you to log exercise and eat the equivalent number of calories.

I'm intrigued - Does this work for you in terms of motivation?

Do you feel like a rodent in an exercise wheel trying to earn food ?

Do you punish yourself for overeating by racking up some exercise calories to neutralise it ?

Do you resent having your exercise efforts wiped out by "eating back" ?

Are you driven to regular exercise to accommodate your overeating ?

Or is the extra food a reward for something you enjoy doing anyway ?

Replies

• freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I can't face the idea of going to a birthday party and staying on the sidelines munching celery or never having a ben & jerrys feast. I guess it's healthier for me to see it as YES you can have these things but either gain or exercise. There's no middle way or quick fix.

It's like a see saw in my mind that I just do what I can to keep in balance in order to shift those pounds but stay healthy, motivated and satiated.
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just can't eat back my exercise calories, it feels wrong and like Im undoing any hard work. But then I do have a tendency to obsess over numbers....
  • javajunco
    javajunco Posts: 81
    Options
    I wouldn't say it motivates me, but it helps me keep track of my exercise and eating, which helps me feel more like I have control. Having more control is motivating, for me.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like a rodent in an exercise wheel trying to earn food ? yes (and I don't mind it)

Do you punish yourself for overeating by racking up some exercise calories to neutralise it ? In reverse, I exercise in advance if I want more food, never to "catch ip" from eating too much already

Do you resent having your exercise efforts wiped out by "eating back" ? Nope, I understand how it works and it DOES work for me

Are you driven to regular exercise to accommodate your overeating ? No, not on a regular basis, see #2

Or is the extra food a reward for something you enjoy doing anyway ? No, I hate exercise
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for a TDEE sometimes +/-, so I never really feel like Im 'eating them back' but more eating to fuel my workouts. Im a little different to some in that I'm not eating necessarily to lose weight, but to support my exercise now that Im happy with my body. Any fat loss is a bonus.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I don't agree eating back "wipes out" exercise. Too big a deficit can be as bad as eating too much, in terms of wellbeing, energy levels etc.

I specifically don't go down the TDEE-20% because I know I'd slip back into bad habits if I didn't have to work to "earn" the extra calories. Maybe others are more disciplined, but over-indulgence + lack of exercsie are the reasons I'm on here in the first place :blushing: I might do 2 hours of exercsie in a day, but if you discount the walking to and from work, I knw without "needing" those calories I'd loaf in bed a bit longer, I wouldn't make the effort to walk at lunchtime and I'd maybe only do 20 mins low impact in the eveining rather than up to an hour of Zumba or energetic aerobics.

And I know that if I'm really hungry and want something I can go for a walk to earn my extra treat, or make sure I do extra exercise the next day (because I also keep an eye on my weekly consumption, so do extra to "earn" enough for weekend roasts etc.).

I may be more than 2 stone down, but I know Mrs Fatandlazy is lurking waiting to take me over....:bigsmile:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Well to me that is a very different way to view it but to each there own. I exercise because 4 years ago I couldn't, 4 years ago I was a prisoner trap in my own home at 560 lbs. I couldn't stand for 30 seconds at a stretch let alone walk from room to room.... Exercise has less to do about over eating as you say it and more to do about allotting me the freedoms I once took for granted. I changed my relationship with food to allow me to lose the weight and I exercise for the sheer joy of being able too.... The relationship between the food and exercise is strictly a mutual one, I eat my exercise calories to fuel my body for the physical demands I am asking of it to do..... Crazy concept but this is my approach.......... Best of Luck..........
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I excercise because I love being active. Running and cycling gives me time to myself and helps me clear my mind. I do my best thinking while out running. I also love kayaking with the kids, hubby, and friends. I do crossfit a couple of times a week because I love challenging myself and i know it will keep me strong and functioning as I get older. As I watch my parents age, I know I want to be independent for as long as possible. I want to carry my own groceries, get up on a step ladder to change a light bulb, etc. for as long as possible. For me, it's always been about taking care of the only body I will ever have. Replacement parts are hard to come by.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well to me that is a very different way to view it but to each there own. I exercise because 4 years ago I couldn't, 4 years ago I was a prisoner trap in my own home at 560 lbs. I couldn't stand for 30 seconds at a stretch let alone walk from room to room.... Exercise has less to do about over eating as you say it and more to do about allotting me the freedoms I once took for granted. I changed my relationship with food to allow me to lose the weight and I exercise for the sheer joy of being able too.... The relationship between the food and exercise is strictly a mutual one, I eat my exercise calories to fuel my body for the physical demands I am asking of it to do..... Crazy concept but this is my approach.......... Best of Luck..........

You are amazing! Congratulations on taking back your life!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    For me, exercising a lot is the thing that makes it possible for me to eat at a deficit and lose weight without feeling hungry or deprived. I know part of the party line here is that weight loss is completely or mostly about the food component, but not for me. I feel that I owe most of my progress to exercise.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I've never logged exercise ... it helps simplify matters ;)
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I can't face the idea of going to a birthday party and staying on the sidelines munching celery or never having a ben & jerrys feast. I guess it's healthier for me to see it as YES you can have these things but either gain or exercise. There's no middle way or quick fix.

It's like a see saw in my mind that I just do what I can to keep in balance in order to shift those pounds but stay healthy, motivated and satiated.

For Sure :bigsmile:
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

This is a great approach. Being able to walk, carry groceries, take care of my home, bike ride, hike, etc are things I'd like to do for the rest of my life, so I think of exercise & activity the same way. Congrats on your fabulous success.
  • clockworkgeisha
    clockworkgeisha Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big exercise fan (being essentially very lazy) so I see my exercise calories as a reward for all my hard work!
  • puckit61
    puckit61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth about this. I hate eating back calories because it's a mental battle all day long to pick the correct foods to stay below my 1300 calorie limit while still finding items that will keep me full for the long periods of time as it is. If I were to eat back whatever I worked off, I have to find more stuff to eat and I feel like the hard work I put in to staying below my limit is put to waste. I do like my like my 4 mile walks at the end of the day but sometimes I wonder, since I'm just trying to lose weight should I just stay below my calorie limit in order to lose my 2 lbs. a week or try to find the proper calorie balance after I burn them off and hope I lose the weight by my next weigh in. (Just how accurate is endomondo?)

I'm pretty sure I rambled about irrelevant information... I apologize.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I've never logged exercise ... it helps simplify matters ;)

TDEE +/- is a simpler route for me TBH.
    I can prelog food and I always know what acceptable, so long as i work out X amount of times a week.
  • tumbledownhouse
    tumbledownhouse Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    In a weird way I think just having those extra cals to eat makes me feel fuller whether I eat them or not... Let's get Freud on the case!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I switched to TDEE-20% too. Just so much easier.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It has been wonderfully freeing for me. If I sit on my butt, I can eat X calories and it's OK. If I am more active, I can eat Y additional calories. If I am hungry and don't have the calories, I can do exercise and it still comes out as a net benefit since I am usually happy just eating back half my exercise calories. I don't eat over in advance of having worked out because that seems a dangerous game to me.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I never thought of it in those terms.

I just eat more on the days I do more, which works out because I seem to be hungrier those days, if not the day after.