• BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I used the vapor pen. It helped me.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Be prepared that you might gain some weight and have food cravings. Snacking helped me get through it. I think snacking and gaining a few lbs while quitting should be allowed. Once you get control of the nicotine addiction you can go back to weight and diet goals. This is what I had to do years ago. I quit while having a cold made it a little bit easier because was hard to smoke with a sore throat and cough any way.
  • Antinya
    Antinya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I got a vape. 2 packs a day for over 20 years and after about a week of vaping, cigarettes tasted foul and I'd toss them after a drag or two and go get the vape instead.

• whattheJKD
    whattheJKD Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Please read Allen Carr's The Easy Way to Quit Smoking. I smoked pack/day from age 15- early 30's. Read the book one day and never smoked again. Feel great; sorry for my friends who still smoke. It's so easy! Sounds bizarre, and I'm not a self-help book person but he just has a way of straightening out all the f'ed up stuff in your head tobacco has put there. Good luck, you can do it!
  • orochiwarrior
    orochiwarrior Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I feel cold turkey is the best way. I quit 9 years ago and I was smoking 30 a day. I found ways to keep myself busy like going for a walk or reading a book. I found it best to tell myself "I don't smoke anymore" whenever I got the craving for a smoke. I believe you can do it!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I quit Jan 1, 2014, cold turkey.

Can't tell you how glad I am - I feel so much better and different. I don't stink, my lung capacity is just WOW, I'm not sick all the time, and I'm not tied to a habit (always making sure I had cigarettes on me, lighter, where can I smoke here...).

For me, it came down to 2 things:
    1. Being ready to say I will never, ever smoke again. There will never again be a cigarette for me (I even took a picture of the last one, lol) - no one more, no just a little, nada. I know people who can smoke occasionally in a social situation, but I'm not one of them. You just have to be ready to quit and never smoke again - because it's really hard at first.

2. Knowing that cravings are short lived, and come and go in bouts. Even the worst cravings only last a few minutes - if you can distract yourself, they DO pass and you get to pat yourself on the back for not caving. And certain marker periods come along for some weird reason - 6 months in, I really wanted to smoke.

I psyched myself up for it. Read a lot, thought a lot about it, and that helped power me through the first couple weeks. Also google "what happens when you quit smoking" to see a list of physiological changes that happen over time. That helps too.

This.
    Also we lost my baby sister & Sis in law,both in their 40's to lung cancer.After smoking for 25 yrs,Just knew I was done! Was hard,but I can be stubborn & was.After 30 yrs,can still say I QUIT & be proud. Good luck,you can do it.