Maintaining

I'm 5'2" weight 122. To maintain I'm supposed to eat 1500 calories - I couldn't manage 1200 so this is near impossible for me. I do eat, I have no eating disorders: I watch my sugar, was told I was diabetic in Feb & 2 mos later I was no longer diabetic. I eat well but there is no way I'm hungry to eat all these calories. That is the issue & I'm 60.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    You can boost your cals by just adding some extra calories, just eat slightly bigger portions, add more protein and fibre and you'll get to 1500 easily. You'll soon get to really enjoy having those extra calories :smile: If you were once overweight I don't know how you can say its impossible to eat more than 1200. I am same height, very active and maintain on 2200 cals - I enjoy every single calorie and need it! my body needs them to function properly and fuel my workouts/activities.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    You can boost your cals by just adding some extra calories, just eat slightly bigger portions, add more protein and fibre and you'll get to 1500 easily. You'll soon get to really enjoy having those extra calories :smile: If you were once overweight I don't know how you can say its impossible to eat more than 1200. I am same height, very active and maintain on 2200 cals - I enjoy every single calorie and need it! my body needs them to function properly and fuel my workouts/activities.

This is good advice.
    If you really are unable to eat more, try drinking your calories. Full milk for example is about 100 calories a glass.

• MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    We have to work really hard to get enough calories in my daughter. Dairy is your friend. Whole milk is 150 calories for 8 ounces. Full fat yogurt can be 200+ calories a serving. An ounce of cheese around 100 calories. Peanut butter is super calorie dense. Put nuts in things, or just eat a handful.

Most juice is 100+ calories a serving, Welch's grape juice is nearly 200 and they do not add sugar. Add a little olive oil when you cook, or to your salad. Put some butter on that toast. Condiments can go a long way towards adding calories without adding more 'food' to your plate.

There are also supplements, we use a generic version of ensure. The regular is 220 calories for 8 ounces, the pro version has closer to 300.