Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Sciatica and Running?

Has anyone had sciatica and continued to run? I love to run but afraid the pain and fear of falling on my face is going to keep me from doing it. Feeling bummed about it. Hoping this is something I can overcome.

Replies

• EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    well.... I never had sciatica, so you may not want to hear from me.

However, sciatica can be through a bunch of stuff: spinal stenosis, herniates disc, DJD, sacroiliac impingement, and the ever so famous piriformis syndrome. So one person's sciatica may be something else compared to yours.

I would follow the protocol from whoever gave you your diagnosis and build up your aerobic conditioning (possibly through lower impact type of stuff like swimming) till you do not feel the fear of tipping over.

I wish you luck on your journey and if you are consistent I think your prognosis of overcoming is high! ;)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2015
    This is something I'd like to have answered as well, I get bouts of sciatica, last week it was starting to flare up again and I pushed through my runs at a slower pace but I couldn't do my strength workouts, the lunges and squats were painful so I listened to my body and gave those moves a miss. And the sciatica just disappeared, that was my briefest stint yet with it (3 days). I have found since I've been more active I get less and less of this pain, thank goodness! its not good company! :/

I think its better to keep moving in some way, even if its just a walk - I know for me I get relief when I move whereas its sitting thats uncomfortable.

You would be better to seek a doctors advice.
  • MrsOps
    MrsOps Posts: 3 Member
    Hello,
    I do not suffer from sciatica however my father does. He was unable to move two years ago as it was so bad. However, this summer he joined a running group with me, and since then he hasn't had any issues. He actually feels much better and doesn't suffer from the pains and aches he used to get. So, from his experience doing that bit of exercise twice a week has really helped. He doesn't push himself to the limits, just does what he can (which is still more than me) I know that he lacked confidence to start because he was worried that it might set him back, but it has done the opposite.
    Perhaps it's worth taking some medical advice before?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    it depends.
    if it's an alignment issue, yoga is good. legs up the wall. chiropracters and massages for for alignment.

1 series for sciatica
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    I have sciatica caused by degenerative disc disease, but I don't run (yet; would like to lose about 40 lbs before I start). There are some good exercises to alleviate pain, but the main issue is to strengthen the lower back and glutes. Check out these exercises specifically for sciatica (several of which were recommended to me by a physiotherapist):

http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/sciatica-exercises-sciatica-pain-relief

I think you could run, but start in a good way, such as the "couch to 5k", so that your body can adapt. I wish you the best of luck!