Why am I my worst enemy?

Options
Why cannot I be consistent? I have 50 lbs to lose.
I log my food for a day or two and then give up. Any little deviation in my routine and I lose it. It can be as little as a friend coming over, meeting someone for lunch, having a task to do I dislike.
I am retired and can please myself but love being on my own keep myself busy with reading, television but never make time for exercise. I begrudge paying gym membership but will spend £8 a week on the National lottery.

I need to get a grip but do not seem to be able to.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Have you tried logging your food immediately before you eat it or pre-logging your whole day? That way you can see how many calories it will be (and maybe change your mind and eat something different) before you've eaten. Soon it will become a habit if you do it consistently.

Think of logging like brushing your teeth or taking a shower. Logging is just something you are doing to keep yourself as healthy as possible.
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Prepping and pre logging helps some ppl stay on track. You dont need a gym membership. Start out with walks. There are tons of free workout vids on youtube. hasfit is my personal fave. They have beginners allllll the way to insanity style workouts.

As for friends, tell them your goals of becoming healthier and so next time instead of eating together... To for a walk together or if you must go for food.. Look up the nutritional info online of the foods that the restaurant offer and pre select a meal that fits into your allotted cals.

You can do it!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I understand…and can relate. For me.. there have been times where logging and meal planning was fun. But now that i've done it so long and have up downs..losses and regains.. i'm just tired thinking about doing it again. I also wonder if it is just as unhealthy to obsess over limiting food and counting calories as it is to overeat and binge!

What i've been doing is eating right without counting the calories …at least i'm getting back on track and want to see if I can just lose it without obsessing with the calorie counting and logging. I start my exercise tomorrow..and my hope is that my weight comes without the mental drain of thinking about it all the time.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You don't need to join a gym. Walking is great exercise. YouTube has free exercise videos. But, if it's just the money, what better to spend it on than staying or getting fit?

As for weight loss, I find that I do best with logging if I just keep exercising. I do it first thing in the morning.