The Gain that never ends? Or, heart surgery recovery is difficult.

Options
So I had lost quite a lot of weight some years back before my heart fell into atrial fibrillation. Unfortunately, this destroyed me for some time and made it difficult to work out or anything even vaguely productive. With depression slipping in I gained weight in that pool of self misery I think many of us can relate to.

At the beginning of this year, I had open heart surgery to correct the atrial fibrillation and also replace a bad heart valve, the aortic valve for those in the know. Now, 380 pounds, I find myself in this pool of depression and perhaps desperation, as I am destroying myself. I could really use some motivation from a community of people who I know are walking this same walk, be it by differing degrees. Perhaps a few people to help keep me motivated on the friends list. I would happily return the favor.

If nothing else, thank you for reading this.

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Only thing you can do is get started. Start weighing and logging now, while eating like normal. It will be a shocker, but it will give you a baseline to start from, letting you see patterns and habits you need to change. It's ok to start slow with one thing at a time! Some people can jump right in, I'm one who had to make slow changes. Exercise also isn't needed to lose weight. I don't know what kinds of exercises your doctor wants you to do for recovery, but that's a different thing. Concentrate on changing your eating habits and use that to lower your calories for weight loss. It's slow, but you can totally do it that way! ^_^
  • WellingTX
    WellingTX Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Follow the doc's guidance but I agree, just start. Even something like walking to the mail box or starting to log food can provide a good base.

One of my favorite quotes is"90 days from now you'll wish you started today."

Other piece of advice is to be kind to yourself. For most of us change is not a linear path.

I've had lone afib since I was 16. Now under control with medication but certainly can empathize with the grip it can have on daily activities.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Did or do you go to cardiac rehab? My husband had open heart 3 years ago (triple bypass) and he worked hard in rehab. He got cleared to leave and ordered to walk daily, at least 30 minutes. Are you doing that?

He follows the Essylstein diet and the Ornish diet. Two heart docs, both advise eating in ways that will reduce the heart disease. They are very similar.