how do you become motivated?

Options
My issue I have is I wake early (330am) for work. I work 10-11 hour days. By the time I get home, help the child with homework, get dinner ready, I'm ready for bed by 7pm. What are some things people do to motivate themselves for that walk or jog or workout session?

Replies

• shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hey,
    I don't have quite a hectic schedule! But most nights by the time the kids are sorted etc its usually 7 or 8 o'clock and I'm ready to relax.

I find that even though my mind screams 'no sit down and watch telly' once I've set the video up and got my music on 10 seconds into the video I'm fired up for an hours workout. You've just gotta push though the mental block.

The other thing that helps me is knowing I'll have created an extra deficit for something extra like a beer or a small bar of chocolate.

Shaun.
  • missie0611
    missie0611 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The good thing about me is I don't have the snack cravings. Lol. Just tired :( I'll try and get a new TV and set up a DVD player in the other room so I can do that. Ty!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Schedule it. Find 30 minutes where you can fit in a walk or exercise video and put it on your schedule. It doesn't have to be for an hour and it doesn't have to be anything major. Can you talk a walk during lunch? That's another time you can fit in 20-30 minutes depending on how long your lunch break is.

Something to keep in mind, though, is that exercise isn't necessary for weight loss. It's good for many other things, but if your ONLY reason for wanting to exercise is to lose weight, you don't need to do so. And if you need to start with a small walking session, that's fine too. Go outside, pick a random direction, walk for 10 minutes then turn and walk back. Bamn, 20 minute walk! You can go as fast or as slow as you want to start, then build on it. Are you the only one who can help the kids and get dinner ready? You don't mention if you have an SO or someone else helping you, so other advice I have might not be applicable for you!
  • missie0611
    missie0611 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am alone with my kid until her dad gets home. Its up to me to do dinner :)
    I can put something to bake and take a walk then perhaps.
    I eat healthy, but my weight has fluxuated 5lbs here and there. So I figured that adding the exercise should jump start something in me.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It does for some people, I wasn't one. ^^; What time does her dad get home? Can you have him take over and go for a walk then?
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Get it in your mind that it is non negotiable. Like going to work. There are days when you could easily stay home but you go because it is a priority. Put exercise on the same level. Good luck!