Work 8 hours, come home tired, don't feel like cooking, eat fast food. Help?

Options
2»

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It is about attitude, but it's about making things work for your schedule. I don't have a real stove/oven. I have a microwave and a George Forman grill. Meat, even frozen (turkey burgers, ground buffalo,fish, etc.), takes about 5 minutes to cook (and I am forever overcooking it) and frozen veggies take about the same amount of time. Very rarely do I spend even 15 minutes preparing a meal.
  • tatjanak87
    tatjanak87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use Soylent, which is a meal replacement powder, for the times when I'm just too tired or lazy to procure "real" food. Its definitely not as enjoyable as real food, but it's nutritious and healthier than fast food, and gets the job done.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    tatjanak87 wrote: »
    I use Soylent, which is a meal replacement powder, for the times when I'm just too tired or lazy to procure "real" food. Its definitely not as enjoyable as real food, but it's nutritious and healthier than fast food, and gets the job done.

I cannot get over the name of this product. Every time I see it mentioned I think of Soylent Green.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I cannot get over the name of this product. Every time I see it mentioned I think of Soylent Green.

Well, one is called Soylent and the other is called Soylent so I can see how that might happen.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

The creator specifically had that in mind when he named it. There was a great interview with him on NPR.
  • becknomad
    becknomad Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with the same. I buy a ton of Amy's cheese and been burritos are Target for $2 and eat them for lunch, they are 310 calories. Frozen bags of veggies are quite frequent in my house. Sometimes I get a 7 layer burrito at Taco Bell and they are 470 calories...Eating out I usually pick a salad and always get the dressing on the side. I get a lot of Costco salads and use only half the dressing. Frozen chicken breast strips at costco are easy to heat up in the oven or microwave - then I add them to a salad. Every time you do make dinner, make extra for your lunch at least the next day if not meals for the next 2-3 days. Good luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

The creator specifically had that in mind when he named it. There was a great interview with him on NPR.

Did he really? I'm going to have to look up the interview.
  • tmartin19710
    tmartin19710 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The hubs cooks on the grill several items and we use the vacuum sealer and portion meats out and freeze them. Same thing with crock pot meal. I always have chicken, lean burgers, soups, stew, chilli, spaghetti sauce in the freezer. To me with my meat done and just needing heating is half the battle and can get supper on the table quick and healthy.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I never feel like cooking. Here is what I often do. Buy bags of frozen vegs. Buy a variety of sauces like orange, ginger, teriyaki, sweat/sour etc. Buy large amounts of chicken (ham slices work also, for variety, and they are pre-cooked). On the weekends, cook the chicken (I boil mine), divide into 1-meal-size portions, freeze them.

After work, throw a whole bag of vegs into microwave. Thaw 1 portion of chicken (I boil again, just until thawed but can also microzap.) Add sauce to chicken (or mix and add to all). Log. Eat.

Takes 8 minutes total -- faster than driving to fast food and waiting in line.

Great idea!!!
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    .................................., if you must do fastfood, try kookooroo chicken or el pollo loco. But steer clear from the regulars.

Chipotle (my daughter calls is Chi-poodle, lol) is a good one to. The food is near organic, definitely high grade, and tastes really fresh and light. Just had it for lunch and total calories were 545 (mostly because of the brown rice, but I need some type of grain for my colon.) I could eat this every day of the week.

I make a home made version on Sundays when I have time. Beans and rice a very good quick meal, add grilled/baked chicken, add red onions, salsa, and that is some serious good eating that you will get full on.

• bracey100
    bracey100 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ready meals work 4 me I have them at dinner and have salad 4 lunch make sure u have breakfast no more than 200 cals tho I work all day to
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Did he really? I'm going to have to look up the interview.

I don't think this is it, but it's probably a decent start.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/10/23/240278034/soylent-an-offbeat-food-idea-investors-are-taking-seriously
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is a fan of frozen dinners like Lean Cuisine, but if you add an extra serving or two of vegetables I don't think they are such a bad idea. Certainly better than fast food. Microwave some frozen peas or corn, add a bagged salad, scrape a carrot to munch with it, or celery, cucumber, peppers etc. Easy peasy.
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options

LOL!!! Me too! I wonder if the manufacturers did it on purpose! LOL!!!

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Meal prep on the weekends or when you have time off or even earlier in the day before work.
  • AJMB704
    AJMB704 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    becknomad wrote: »
    Sometimes I get a 7 layer burrito at Taco Bell and they are 470 calories...

Taco Bell is my guilty pleasure and I absolutely love the 7 layer burritos. They are my very favorite and have been for many, many years. I really try not to go to TB more than a couple times a year though...
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    Do you have a crockpot? I use mine all the time during the week. Most of my favorite recipes are only a few ingredients. Try searching some websites for different recipes. Right now I have a hamburger potato soup cooking for dinner tonight. Last week we had beef stew. I think tomorrow I will do a pork tenderlion with some mexican seasonings, a can of rotel and make pork soft tacos.
    There is nothing better than coming home after a busy day and dinner is pretty much ready.
    HTH!

^^totally agree. It takes a little advance planning, but really, once you set it up in the am, it's usually all the work that's required. How nice to come home to a meal ready to eat! Pinterest is a great resource for crockpot/slow cooker recipes.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You gotta do what you gotta do. That is, as an adult, there 's a certain amount of stuff you need to do whether or not you enjoy it. Paying bills, cleaning toilets, grocery shopping, etc. I don't even know what to suggest as motivation for those things other than avoidance of eviction, filth, and starvation.

It really just comes down to being a grown up and taking care of business. Figure out a few foods you like to eat, learn how to cook them, and buy the ingredients. Eat them over and over until you get tired enough to learn a few new recipes. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This. I spend a few hours of my Sunday food prepping. Would I rather be doing something else? Yep! But it's the only way that works with our schedules, we're both out of the house for 12+ hours a day. I create a meal plan for the week, which these days is probably the same 10 meals on rotation. I'm strategic with my timing of grocery shopping so I can avoid the worst of the crowds, I've got a list, so I'm pretty quick. I use the slow cooker at least once a week which gives us 2-3 nights of dinners, plus I freeze some extra portions. I also cook our lunches, portion out my overnight oats and snacks. Basically by relying on the slow cooker and previously frozen meals, I generally only have to cook once during the working week and I make sure it's something fast (e.g. burrito bowls, ramen etc). I also keep frozen vegies and Lean Cuisines in the freezer for evenings where I'm truly desperate.