9 week Fitness Challenge based on the Divergent series starting this Sunday the 18th!

Options
Are you looking for a little extra motivation to stick to or raise your fitness goals?

Are you looking to connect with some like minded fun fitness people on mfp?

Are you stuck in a fitness/health rut and are looking for a little diversity and challenge?

Are you a fan of the Divergent book/movie series?

Join the Allegiant Challenge (the third book in the Divergent series) starting Sunday October 18th and running 9 weeks!

The way it works: You join a team and each week you are issued a fitness challenge comprising of cardio, strength and flexibility. Additionally you earn points for staying within the calorie goal you set, for an additional challenge based on the storyline and a punishment challenge (usually fitness related but occasionally diet related like no desserts for the week) issued by the team that won the week before. Sometimes there will be a mid-week twist to keep you on your toes.

It's a lot of fun and a great way to keep moving and meet some great mfp people with similar goals!

If you are interested join our group and read the Announcement "UPDATED recaps and Choose your Team". The group is public now but will become private on Saturday evening, October 17th.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/104967-allegiant-challenge-the-third-divergent-challenge

Not convinced? Here are some FAQs. If I don't answer your question please feel free to ask.

Q: I don't know anything about the Divergent series can I join?
A: Yes! There is no trivia and if you don't give a crap about the series it won't change your experience at all.

Q: I'm new to fitness can I join?
A: Yes! People of all fitness levels participate. Brisk walking for 40 minutes counts the same as cycling for 40 minutes for cardio. Some weeks teammates are able to share extra minutes.

Q: I do a lot of yard work and house cleaning. Those minutes count right?
A: No. Only intentional exercise minutes count. I have no doubt that you are tired and got sweaty while cleaning the house/yard but your intention was to have a clean house or yard. Intentional exercise is when you are trying to increase your fitness. Stuff like parking far from the door, taking the stairs instead of an escalator or helping your buddy move don't count.

Q: Exactly how much exercise is involved?
A: Usually a week's challenge is about 5-7 hours.

Q: I don't belong to a gym can I join?
A: Yes! You can get your cardio, strength and flexibility minutes at home or outside. There are loads of workouts online that you can choose from if you don't have a routine already.

Q: I'm not flexible so I probably can't join, right?
A: Wrong. If you aren't flexible now you can learn to be more flexible with time. Yoga, pilates, stretching, foam rolling, mobility and balance work all counts towards flexibility minutes.

Q: I can't do high impact because of . . . . can I join?
A: Yes! If a specific challenge requires high impact we can make modifications for you.

Q: I'm going on vacation/getting married/am going to Pluto/etc etc in November can I still join?
A: Yes! You can take off weeks as needed but ideally you should be able to participate in most weeks.

Q: Is this a weight loss challenge?
A: NO! It is a fitness challenge and is designed to get you to test your physical limits and the way you view fitness/health/food. You could be trying to lose weight, maintain or gain weight. That is up to you.

Q: What do I get if my team wins?
A: The satisfaction of knowing you are healthier today than you were yesterday, some awesome, fun fitness mfp friends and a sense of pride that you finished the challenge and challenged yourself. Heck you can brag about it to your friends and family but my 4 year old nephew never seems impressed.

X-posted on the Fitness and Exercise Board

Replies

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • AmberFitzilla
    AmberFitzilla Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm in!

• mochapygmy
    Options
    I'm in!

Glad to have you Amber.

Still time to join!
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Bump! Looks fun!
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Sounds so fun!
  • felicianicolemfp
    felicianicolemfp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    mochapygmy wrote: »
    Are you looking for a little extra motivation to stick to or raise your fitness goals?

Are you looking to connect with some like minded fun fitness people on mfp?

Are you stuck in a fitness/health rut and are looking for a little diversity and challenge?

Are you a fan of the Divergent book/movie series?

Join the Allegiant Challenge (the third book in the Divergent series) starting Sunday October 18th and running 9 weeks!

The way it works: You join a team and each week you are issued a fitness challenge comprising of cardio, strength and flexibility. Additionally you earn points for staying within the calorie goal you set, for an additional challenge based on the storyline and a punishment challenge (usually fitness related but occasionally diet related like no desserts for the week) issued by the team that won the week before. Sometimes there will be a mid-week twist to keep you on your toes.

It's a lot of fun and a great way to keep moving and meet some great mfp people with similar goals!

If you are interested join our group and read the Announcement "UPDATED recaps and Choose your Team". The group is public now but will become private on Saturday evening, October 17th.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/104967-allegiant-challenge-the-third-divergent-challenge

Not convinced? Here are some FAQs. If I don't answer your question please feel free to ask.

Q: I don't know anything about the Divergent series can I join?
    A: Yes! There is no trivia and if you don't give a crap about the series it won't change your experience at all.

Q: I'm new to fitness can I join?
    A: Yes! People of all fitness levels participate. Brisk walking for 40 minutes counts the same as cycling for 40 minutes for cardio. Some weeks teammates are able to share extra minutes.

Q: I do a lot of yard work and house cleaning. Those minutes count right?
    A: No. Only intentional exercise minutes count. I have no doubt that you are tired and got sweaty while cleaning the house/yard but your intention was to have a clean house or yard. Intentional exercise is when you are trying to increase your fitness. Stuff like parking far from the door, taking the stairs instead of an escalator or helping your buddy move don't count.

Q: Exactly how much exercise is involved?
    A: Usually a week's challenge is about 5-7 hours.

Q: I don't belong to a gym can I join?
    A: Yes! You can get your cardio, strength and flexibility minutes at home or outside. There are loads of workouts online that you can choose from if you don't have a routine already.

Q: I'm not flexible so I probably can't join, right?
    A: Wrong. If you aren't flexible now you can learn to be more flexible with time. Yoga, pilates, stretching, foam rolling, mobility and balance work all counts towards flexibility minutes.

Q: I can't do high impact because of . . . . can I join?
    A: Yes! If a specific challenge requires high impact we can make modifications for you.

Q: I'm going on vacation/getting married/am going to Pluto/etc etc in November can I still join?
    A: Yes! You can take off weeks as needed but ideally you should be able to participate in most weeks.

Q: Is this a weight loss challenge?
    A: NO! It is a fitness challenge and is designed to get you to test your physical limits and the way you view fitness/health/food. You could be trying to lose weight, maintain or gain weight. That is up to you.

Q: What do I get if my team wins?
    A: The satisfaction of knowing you are healthier today than you were yesterday, some awesome, fun fitness mfp friends and a sense of pride that you finished the challenge and challenged yourself. Heck you can brag about it to your friends and family but my 4 year old nephew never seems impressed.

X-posted on the Fitness and Exercise Board

I'm in!
  • mochapygmy
    Options
    We start Sunday! B)
  • mochapygmy
    Options
    Today is the last day to join the challenge.

Let's do this!