Orangetheory Fitness

Options
Anyone have an Orangetheory Fitness near them and do you like it? A few just popped up in my area and I'm thinking of trying it out. Thanks for any input!

Replies

• loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've tried a class and really enjoyed it. It's a nice mix of strength and cardio—you won't get bored, and you can work at your own pace/effort level. I'm definitely going to make it part of my off-season cross-training routine.
  • sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Went to a free session last month. It's definitely worth a try. It's high intensity, but everyone can go at their own pace.
  • MPD6944
    MPD6944 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks!!
  • jaime232
    jaime232 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a big advocate of OTF, I've been going since March 2014 pretty consistently. If you like group fitness, you'll do well with this. It is treadmill-heavy but it's pretty tolerable since it's mostly HIIT, so you're not up there running constantly for like a half hour or anything. They keep you moving so you don't get bored, but it's always a challenge. I find that I push myself more knowing that my calorie count is on the boards, it's always a little bit of a competition between me and the other people haha. It's good motivation. :)
  • hummingbird314
    hummingbird314 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It seems great but I didn't like that they wouldn't tell me the cost until I went for a trial and they were really pushing me to get a sale. My friend ended up telling me the price and it's to expensive for me.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It seems great but I didn't like that they wouldn't tell me the cost until I went for a trial and they were really pushing me to get a sale. My friend ended up telling me the price and it's to expensive for me.

**whispers** How much is it?

• jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I love OTF and have been going twice a week for about 4 months. Works off all the beer on the weekends. $89/month in Jacksonville, FL for 8 sessions/month and I burn between 800-900 calories a session.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

It's really expensive, like $15/class. I think the unlimited membership is like $159/month or more? It's tough to justify when you can join a full service gym for about $30/month and you have so many more options there.

I'd like to try it because I've heard good things but you spend half the hour or more on the treadmill. I can do that at home, while also monitoring my heart rate like they do there. I know the group motivation aspect is what you're paying for, though, not equipment rental.

I dislike their marketing, too. As if they invented interval training or circuit workouts. "...our heart-rate monitored training is designed to keep heart rates in a target zone that spikes metabolism and increases energy. The result is the Orange Effect – more energy, visible toning and extra fat and calorie burn for up to 36 hours after your workout!"

• beachhouse758
    Options

It's really expensive, like $15/class. I think the unlimited membership is like $159/month or more? It's tough to justify when you can join a full service gym for about $30/month and you have so many more options there.

I'd like to try it because I've heard good things but you spend half the hour or more on the treadmill. I can do that at home, while also monitoring my heart rate like they do there. I know the group motivation aspect is what you're paying for, though, not equipment rental.

I dislike their marketing, too. As if they invented interval training or circuit workouts. "...our heart-rate monitored training is designed to keep heart rates in a target zone that spikes metabolism and increases energy. The result is the Orange Effect – more energy, visible toning and extra fat and calorie burn for up to 36 hours after your workout!"

Thank you. I don't think is unreasonably expensive (it's all relative) but single yoga classes around here are $20 each, so OT is comparable.

I totally agree that you pay for the motivational aspect. An acquaintance of mine goes and she is in FANTASTIC shape-- IDK if that her only form of exercise, though as I don't know her well.

What interests me is that they offer TRX! I run outside, but I think it would be great to try TRX with guidance.

There's another center near me that offers TRX, Barre and Pilates. But separately, they don't fuse them like with OT.

I don't know if I will go, maybe I'll try one.
  • beachhouse758
    Options
    jmt08c wrote: »
    I love OTF and have been going twice a week for about 4 months. Works off all the beer on the weekends. $89/month in Jacksonville, FL for 8 sessions/month and I burn between 800-900 calories a session.

Thanks. The price is better when purchased together :) I doubt I would go more than twice per week anyway: too far a drive for the nearest one and I'm really lazy (who am I kidding?)

I appreciate your reply.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    One thing appealing about them is I think they make you pre-schedule your workouts and I think that there is financial incentive to not break your appointments. I think that would help a lot of people. Who knows, maybe if they ever have a special on I'll try it.

The web site doesn't say they do barre or pilates.
    "a 60-minute workout using treadmills, rowing machines, TRX suspension training™ and free weights"
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    i love OTF! i just joined two months ago.. i pay $59/month for 4 sessions a month and $14 for any additional classes beyond that (drop ins are normally $20).
  • am35
    am35 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been doing OTF for 2 years and love it! I did a similar workout at my old gym in a bootcamp class but found OTF to be much cheaper and more fun. I go 5-6 days a week and burn 400-600 a workout
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I haven't been to OT but I don't think the price sounds too outrageous compared to other non traditional gyms. Have you looked into Classpass? I believe OT is one of the participating studios.

• MPD6944
    MPD6944 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I already belong to Fitness Connection and try to go 3-4 days a week. So OTF doesn't do any weight classes, just cardio?
  • carol424mfp
    carol424mfp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I joined a little over a month ago and LOVE it! We spend up to 25 min on the treadmill- it's challenging and the time flies- and then mix it up with the rower, weights, core and trx. Motivating instructors keep it constantly moving and the music is great. I like that you wear a heart rate monitor and can check out your performance and calories burned during the class and the group setting keeps you moving. I look forward to going and am getting RESULTS!!
  • Seacgo
    Seacgo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love OTF!! I've been going for over a year and it's the best!
  • pbmonty
    pbmonty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you have to wear their HRM? Or can you just wear your own? I always wear mine, but I don't want to broadcast stats. TIA.
  • sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I went to a free session. Thought it was fun, definitely different than what I'm used to. The only problem that I had was the heart rate monitor, my boobs were making it extremely hard to get accurate numbers lol #bigboobprobz. If I wasn't already in a plan with my trainer I'd consider it
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    pbmonty wrote: »
    Do you have to wear their HRM? Or can you just wear your own? I always wear mine, but I don't want to broadcast stats. TIA.

That's the same question I have. Thinking of taking a free class just for fun.