Coffeemaker suggestions for regular coffee or espresso (No pod machines)

Options
LastingChanges
LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I am looking for a coffee machine. I prefer espressos/americanos but regular coffee is fine too. Will consider any price range. The reviews online are so mixed so not sure which one to get.

I alternate between decaf and caffeine or mixed. I think decaf requires a good machine so that it tastes good. I don't like how the pod coffees taste, any suggestions?

Replies

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Well, first step is to get a grinder, if you don't already have one. Coffee maker doesn't matter much if you don't use good quality fresh beans.

As far as "machines," I usually use a French press. I also have a Mr. Coffee espresso machine, but I pretty much only use it when I am looking to add booze to my coffee. I use my French press to make cold brew, so I don't have to fuss about it in the morning. Just pour it in my travel mug, and go.
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    Well, first step is to get a grinder, if you don't already have one. Coffee maker doesn't matter much if you don't use good quality fresh beans.

As far as "machines," I usually use a French press. I also have a Mr. Coffee espresso machine, but I pretty much only use it when I am looking to add booze to my coffee. I use my French press to make cold brew, so I don't have to fuss about it in the morning. Just pour it in my travel mug, and go.

Thanks any grinder suggestions? Which one do you use?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Stovetop stainless steel moka pot for espresso and a french press for coffee and cold brew coffee. One of these to grind the beans. And the modified lower bearing from here if you are really picky about the consistency of your grind for your french press.

Less fuss than pour over. But just as nerdy.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Krupps makes good grinders, reasonably priced.

I'm also a fan of the French Press--simple and cheap!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodum stainless steel french press. It's great.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Cannot live without my french press! I love strong coffee and have never had a good cup of coffee from a machine that takes pods.
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    Thanks all you've been very helpful. Looks like french press is the way to go. Might try the moka pot as well.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Thanks all you've been very helpful. Looks like french press is the way to go. Might try the moka pot as well.

if you buy the Moka, make sure to follow direction closely. Steam builds up and can do what steam does.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I have a Mr. Coffee automatic burr mill. My ex-wife got the mill and espresso machine for me. I actually prefer having more control over the grind, but the mill is nice for speed. I've found the setting that I like, so I just have to press the button, and it grinds away while I'm prepping everything else.

If you want hot coffee, you may want a kettle. Just more convenient than using a pot. :)

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I just love my Hamilton Beach The Scoop 2-Way Brewing Coffee Maker.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-2-Way-Brewer-Coffeemaker-Black-Stainless-Steel/16503575

Single-serve side brew basket comes with a mesh filter to hold ground coffee or pre-packaged soft pods.

k2-_1f179c6a-8f08-4bd5-8c2c-95aa53127331.v1.jpg
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Stovetop stainless steel moka pot for espresso and a french press for coffee and cold brew coffee. One of these to grind the beans. And the modified lower bearing from here if you are really picky about the consistency of your grind for your french press.

Less fuss than pour over. But just as nerdy.

I second this. We have both, and honestly Mrs QF drinks a whole Moka pot herself most mornings. She loves it, and it's easy once you know how to use it.

We also have a french press for weekends/regular coffee/company.

Added bonus: no need for filters, and you don't clutter your counter with another appliance.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Mine's glass, but always use my french press.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting an Aeropress, anyone got any thoughts on them?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

Mine's glass, but always use my french press.

I have a glass one too. My husband always saw me wrapping a towel around it to keep the coffee warm so he surprised me with a stainless steel insulated one :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    If you like espresso or an Americano, I swear by my Bialetti. It's simple to use, makes delicious coffee, and it will last forever (as in, my kids will fight over it when I'm dead). If I want a "latte," I heat milk in my coffee mug before pouring the espresso in. I don't always go through the process of foaming the milk, sometimes I just need my coffee as I run out the door.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My Italian friends would use nothing other than a stove-top moka at home. I've tried various myself, but always came back to the stove-top
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    We have a Mr. Coffee espresso maker. It works pretty well but it's tiny.
  • msujack
    msujack Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I just love my Hamilton Beach The Scoop 2-Way Brewing Coffee Maker.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-2-Way-Brewer-Coffeemaker-Black-Stainless-Steel/16503575

Single-serve side brew basket comes with a mesh filter to hold ground coffee or pre-packaged soft pods.

k2-_1f179c6a-8f08-4bd5-8c2c-95aa53127331.v1.jpg

The exact model I have had for 3 years! Great flexibility for the coffee needs of the morning.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I use a keurig for everyday, but for treats it is a stovetop Italian brewer. It makes an espresso like coffee that is just wonderful. And they come in many sizes. And if your stove is gas or propane, they work when the power is out.
  • fifimcd
    fifimcd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    angerelle wrote: »
    I've been thinking about getting an Aeropress, anyone got any thoughts on them?

I love my aeropress. Cheap as, but a brilliant cup of coffee every time (long as the beans are good anyhow). I like the inverted method of using it.

People can get very nerdy about them - Google aeropress world championships ;)