Rate my free weights routine

Options
I do a modified stronglifts style 5x5 routine, with safety modifications because I don't have a rack/stands, and I workout alone.

I just want peoples views if I'm doing the right exercises, not missing any important ones.

I do it in this order:

1. Chin-ups - doing 5 sets to failure, currently hitting reps: 8/4/3/2/2. I really thing SL is lacking an overhead pulling exercise.
2. Shoulder press - with barbell, exactly like SL
3. Bent over row - as above
4. Incline dumbbell bench press - not in SL, but I feel my upper chest is flatter than my lower, and trying to cover my clavicle.
5. Flat dumbbell bench press. - again using dumbbells for safety reasons.
6. Warm up set of squats - with as much weight as I can safely lift over my head.
7. 5 sets of deadlifts - to make up for lack of squats.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do you do all of that on the same day?
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    How often are you doing this program and how long have you been lifting in general? It seems like a lot of volume for a beginning lifter. Also, why do you do deadlifts at the end? You seem to be prioritizing upper body lifts, but deadlifts are the most taxing on the CNS, in particular as you go up in weight. A normal SL routine would look like:
    0dv7lsj4p6i3.png

Since you are not able to squat heavy you may think about moving the deadlifts to the front of that workout to maximize your lower body strength development. Additionally, I would say that adding in some work can be done, but the point of the SL program is to develop strength in the big four lifts, not in accessory lifts.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    yep! And it takes me at least 4 days to recover. I make sure I'm fully carbed up before doing it, and it's awesome. I used to do legs on a different day, but found I could nail them on the same session. I have recently dropped it back from 5 sets to 3 though, 5 was a killer when doing all together.

I've tried all kinds of splits and frequencies over the years, and honestly find this whole body one less frequently is what works best for me.
  • hamlet1222
    Options
    I've been lifting free weights on and off for 20 years. And I am prioritizing upper body as this is where I need it most. I'm much more ecto on my upper body, for some reason my legs (even my calves) have always been fairly big and strong - possibly because I did a lot of running, soccer, and cycling in my hilly town as a teenager.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The question I should have asked is what are your goals. If you are looking to gain strength, I would suggest making some changes. If you are looking for aesthetics with some strength addition this program might provide the volume you need to grow. Depends on the results you have seen so far. But muscle is built in the rest period. The stimulus you apply in the workout only has to be enough to cause change. If you are "destroyed" for days after you are missing out on an opportunity to add additional volume. Work-rest-work-rest-work-rest-work is generally better for growth that work-rest-rest-rest-rest-work.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I would probably split it up so that one day was ohp/deadlifts/chins and the other day was bench/squat/rows/other bench. I might do chin ups on both days TBH, just because if I was able to do more than one at a time I'd want to do them more often :)

Do you not have a squat rack, is that why you have to lift your squat over your head? Have you tried using two chair backs as a rack? If there's a bit of a dip along the top of the chairs, where the bar can settle in, you might be able to do that. You have to start from a partially squatted position. That's the downside.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If the weight isn't enough for you to do with squats, then do Bulgarian/split squats with the same weight instead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • hamlet1222
    Options
    Thanks guys, using chairs for a squat rack - that's an interesting idea, and I do have chairs that I think would be suitable.

As to my goals, a bit of everything really.

I'd like to get stronger, and particularly be able to do over 10 pull ups would be a nice short-term goal (I've been stuck on 8 for weeks).

As far as aesthetics goes I'm not as bothered as I used to be, but I've always wanted bigger shoulders and trapezius - these seem to be my most stubborn areas. I gave up on my forearms years ago after trying so hard to build them - I have thin wrists which I understand is a bit of death sentence for forearms. So now I just focus on compound exercises.

What motivates me most is just seeing how far I can get with this - almost like a project.
  • jemhh
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If the weight isn't enough for you to do with squats, then do Bulgarian/split squats with the same weight instead.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Or lunges maybe? Walking lunges? Goblet squats? Zercher squats? Jefferson squats? Hack squats? Swiss bar goblet squat?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Or lunges maybe? Walking lunges? Goblet squats? Zercher squats? Jefferson squats? Hack squats? Swiss bar goblet squat?
    Other great options!

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jemhh
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Other great options!

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I felt a bit like Forrest Gump there for a minute (boiled shrimp, fried shrimp, shrimp scampi...)
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Another option maybe step ups or step up to reverse lunge--again using Dumbbells, zerchers, etc?
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    As far as aesthetics goes I'm not as bothered as I used to be, but I've always wanted bigger shoulders and trapezius - these seem to be my most stubborn areas. I gave up on my forearms years ago after trying so hard to build them - I have thin wrists which I understand is a bit of death sentence for forearms. So now I just focus on compound exercises.

What motivates me most is just seeing how far I can get with this - almost like a project.

I'm working on shoulders, too, particularly deltoids. I added lateral raises and rear delt raises. Def not big lift by any means, but very effective in terms of aesthetics. Helped me balance out my pear-shape. Like calves and forearms, delts supposedly respond best to high volume and high frequency, so not sure how effective it would be with your schedule. Can't hurt.

I would recommend squat stands. I got these on ebay and am happy with them. Not as safe as a rack but seems a million times safer than chairs. You'll find progression with all your lifts much easier once you've gotten over the sticking point of getting the weights into proper position.

• ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If it's working and you're making progress and you like it, then it's good. Doing deadlifts at the end isn't that bad because you can put everything you have left into them and not worry about saving anything for other exercises after. You can kill it and then collapse. Then get up after awhile and go home, haha. I like hack squats with a barbell as a substitute for squats.
  • hamlet1222
    Options
    great advice guys, many thanks!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Front squats.

35 sets with a lot of compound movements. That's a lot of volume.
  • jemhh
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    hamlet1222 wrote: »

I'm working on shoulders, too, particularly deltoids. I added lateral raises and rear delt raises. Def not big lift by any means, but very effective in terms of aesthetics. Helped me balance out my pear-shape. Like calves and forearms, delts supposedly respond best to high volume and high frequency, so not sure how effective it would be with your schedule. Can't hurt.

I would recommend squat stands. I got these on ebay and am happy with them. Not as safe as a rack but seems a million times safer than chairs. You'll find progression with all your lifts much easier once you've gotten over the sticking point of getting the weights into proper position.

Yeah, I have squat stands instead of a rack. I use a pair of sawhorses as safeties (I use them set to their lowest point for benching too.)