Time for Maintenance + Success story (w/ pic)

Options
Somebody_Loved
Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
edited October 2015 in Success Stories
Hi All,

I wasn't sure if I should put this in Maintenance or Success Stories. I've been more or less maintaining for about 2 months now, even though my MFP goal is to lose another 7ish pounds. As you can see from my previous 10 weigh ins (these are over the course of 10 weeks), I've been eating right around maintenance:

At this point, the last few pounds are vanity pounds and I'm tired of seeing my MFP goal be to lose while I'm clearly not losing.

I decided today that I want to align my goal with my lifestyle, and for me, that means going into maintenance. I love the balance I've found through this process. I'm routinely running, cooking meals at home and then splurge a bit on the weekends (especially now that it's football season).

I've come to the conclusion that although I definitely could reign in my calories more, I just don't want to. I know that I can comfortably maintain at this weight and if at some point in the future I decide I want to lose more, I can. But for now, I'm happy with where I'm at, proud of the progress I've made and love that I can go for a run and follow it up with beers and a burger without stressing that it's going to derail my efforts.

Here is a face comparison of my progress (about a 20 pound difference):

e21bhqqfd8uf.jpg

It's not the biggest difference in the world but the way the 20 pounds has made in how I feel is immeasurable.

Aligning my goal to the lifestyle I want to maintain seems to be the missing piece. I'm excited to continue my journey of maintenance and can't tell you all enough how much these boards have helped me. Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Replies

• WearRedLipstick
    WearRedLipstick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! Cheers to a wonderful, balanced life maintaining!
  • melodie700
    melodie700 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Excellent work - very inspiring!
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Are you a student or formerly one at Wazzu? I just watched their women's volleyball match over the weekend.
  • amnaimon
    amnaimon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    awesome success... would you mind sharing your journey as in what did you do to lose weight, how long it took you and how tall are you? thanks
  • SarBear00b
    SarBear00b Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You can totally see a difference!! It's amazing what just 20 pounds can do. I have over 60 to go but this makes me want to break that up and focus on my smaller victories. Congrats on your continued success.
  • kallemann67
    kallemann67 Posts: 92 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You highlight something I've been thinking about for a long time while here on MFP and I just didn't know when or where to raise it. There are a high majority of folks that have these numbers which I wonder how they are established. Does it originate from what we once weighed in high school, before we got married, at age X where X represents these golden years of our life, a doctor popped a figure out, we see a similar body shape albeit perfected and think that can be us, from some bmi calculator, there are many methods for arriving at each of our own 'number', or a number that feels good based on tacit knowledge?

I see many folks here that the are delightfully attractive after losing 10 or 20 pounds - and yet there is this determination to lose another load of weight. I understand for health or even performance reasons (like endurance sport) but it's the 'vanity' pounds which have me scratching my head. If it doesn't come at a cost then to each their own of course but I appreciate your realisation and transparent reflection that brings up the point and cost of working for some desired number which is that tipping point between joy of life at the cost of hitting an unsustainable number. I hope others follow your lead.

You have the blessing of being attractive at either end of your weight journey so you're lucky there. Again I see this in other members too and I guess what I want to say or add is in light of that magical number we all aim for let us not miss a happiness and quality of life which exists through what we have already achieved. And maybe just sometimes that number is OK to scale back on because it is who we are. There are folks that may start at 268 , then 209, look great at 168 and continue losing to go on to 148 and I'm thinking the 168 was ideal. There is a magic there in the eye that doesn't appear at 148. Yes the weight is gone and sculpturaly perhaps they attained a status quo milestone but maybe it comes at the loss of a spiritual milestone?

Just some thoughts which your post unearthed for me. It's more a curiosity in what we do and to what degree and cost do we do it.

Congrats on your achievement!!

• Somebody_Loved
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

@mysteps2beauty - Yep, graduated in 2007 and am a die hard Coug fan!

@amnaimon - I am 5'6, starting weight 150 and current weight bouncing around between 130-132. I started in January of this year. Lost 5 pounds very quickly (water weight) and then didn't really start making any progress again until May. In total it's taken me 9 months - slow and steady. As far as what I did, I just tracked everything in MFP. I didn't cut anything out (except cut out alcohol in the month of July) and really tried to focus on moderation.

@kallemann67 - Thank you! I think you're right it's completely dependent on what the individual's goals are. For me, my goal in weight loss was to feel more comfortable and confident, have more energy and overall improve my health. Finding the balance of where you're happy with how you look while also enjoying the lifestyle you lead has been a struggle for me, and I'm happy to say that I'm finally getting there.
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    I hear Pullman is a wonderful place to be as a student. It was the Cougs v. the Cats (Arizona Wildcats). Loved the feline theme...LOL.
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    I hear Pullman is a wonderful place to be as a student. It was the Cougs v. the Cats (Arizona Wildcats). Loved the feline theme...LOL.

I forgot to add you look amazing!
  • Val8less
    Val8less Posts: 107 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Way to go!...I'm just getting back into the grove..broke my ankle last summer..and the weight came on..BUT after reading how great you're feeling...I'm determined now....
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @mysteps2beauty - I absolutely love Pullman. I just went back a few weeks ago for the Wyoming game it was a blast. And thank you so much!

@Val8less - Thank you, you can do it!!
  • Wizeman22
    Wizeman22 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I think I'm at the same point you are. I've been on MFP for 14 months, and my end goal (which is admittedly an arbitrary psychologically pleasing number) is only 6-7 pounds away. But I've stayed steady for a month and like you could tighten up my calorie intake but just don't want to. Emotionally I feel a little like I'm giving up by not "finishing" but I've already lost 75 pounds and physically I feel great! Taking your lead, I'm going to officially switch to maintenance but keep the door open to get rid of those extra 6-7 pounds in the future. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @jessiruthica - Congratulations on 75 pounds - that's amazing! The emotional benefits I'm experiencing already have been really significant. I felt like I was failing each week when my goal was to lose and instead I was clearly maintaining. By changing my goal to maintenance I feel like a weight has been lifted. Good luck - I'll add you for support!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!