Can I eat junk and lose weight?

Options

Replies

• Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    anirud1 wrote: »
    If I eat McDonald's, Wendy's, hamburger helper, spaghetti, etc. BUT STAY WITHIN MY CALORIE GOAL will I still lose weight??

Sarcasm?? If yes, good one.
    A lot of push for calorie deficit but less nutrition talk. Sad!

I take it you are against fast food

Haha!
    No, I am not against fast food at all.
    Even my dietary intake is not 100% clean and I eat out (fast food) every now and then but do meet my nutrition goals set by MFP app.
    But when I see people replying by just one sentence everywhere regarding 'CICO' without mentioning about nutrition at all (even if they are aware of it and following themselves), I literally flip out.
    When we know it is a lifestyle change and sooner or later have to follow a proper 'nutritious' diet plan if want to make weight loss long term, why ignore nutrition part of the diet when advising someone.

Because it's a lot easier to eat healthy at maintenance than to be drastically cutting calories AND preparing and eating food you're not used to. Why add unnecessary stress? It's akin to crash dieting for many people, too hard to sustain.
  • yummypotroast
    yummypotroast Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It soooo wouldn't be worth it if you couldn't. =_=
    #pizza4ever #chocolate5ever #YOLO
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If I eat McDonald's, Wendy's, hamburger helper, spaghetti, etc. BUT STAY WITHIN MY CALORIE GOAL will I still lose weight??

Yes

but you'll probably be hungry
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep, mostly muscle. ;)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

Haha!
    Even my dietary intake is not 100% clean and I eat out (fast food) every now and then but do meet my nutrition goals set by MFP app.
    But when I see people replying by just one sentence everywhere regarding 'CICO' without mentioning about nutrition at all (even if they are aware of it and following themselves), I literally flip out.
    When we know it is a lifestyle change and sooner or later have to follow a proper 'nutritious' diet plan if want to make weight loss long term, why ignore nutrition part of the diet when advising someone.

First of all the op didn't ask about nutrition. She asked would she still lose weight. So mentioning nutrition would not be answering her original question.

Secondly, I've saw replies saying stuff like , "sure but I wouldn't advise fast food for every meal"

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Haha!

It's all about context. It's actually something most people miss on these boards and why many arguments start.

Can you lose weight eating only junk food, absolutely. Will you become healthier? It depends. The bloodwork from the twinkie experiment would suggest that you can. All of his labs improved (kind of suggesting obesity > food you eat or the diet you follow). But NO ONE on this board, in all of my time, would ever suggest a diet consisting only of fast food. Most of us encourage getting 80-90% of their calories from nutrient dense foods. This can include things at fast food restaurants (I mean, do you even Chipotle?). And funny enough, many fast food restaurants are adding much "healthier" options these days.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight while still enjoying treats like fast foods.

It comes down to calories.

Nobody is suggesting eating treats all the time though.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will lose weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Sorry Lemon

not sure what else can be said about the topic

you can eat what you want to a calorie defecit and lose weight

but you should consider your health and nutritional value

although losing weight with a lack of nutritional balance can have a greater impact on health markers than not losing weight at all (see Twinkie diet)
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

Haha!

First of all the op didn't ask about nutrition. She asked would she still lose weight. So mentioning nutrition would not be answering her original question.

Secondly, I've saw replies saying stuff like , "sure but I wouldn't advise fast food for every meal"

Question: Why you bother to tell half the truth?
    If you are in favour of healthy weight loss and see it as a lifestyle change and have time to comment every now and then, why not share wealth of your knowledge with others. I mean, share whatever you got, why hold it back?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Same old questions. Calories in-calories out. SIMPLE
  • Aani15
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Haha!

It's all about context. It's actually something most people miss on these boards and why many arguments start.

Can you lose weight eating only junk food, absolutely. Will you become healthier? It depends. The bloodwork from the twinkie experiment would suggest that you can. All of his labs improved (kind of suggesting obesity > food you eat or the diet you follow). But NO ONE on this board, in all of my time, would ever suggest a diet consisting only of fast food. Most of us encourage getting 80-90% of their calories from nutrient dense foods. This can include things at fast food restaurants (I mean, do you even Chipotle?). And funny enough, many fast food restaurants are adding much "healthier" options these days.

If you did not like my suggestion, just ignore it. There is nothing wrong with it.
    Please do not pick on me just to increase number of your feedbacks. (I think there is craze for it.)
    I did not ask for any suggestions here, did I?
    Thank you!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You can...but it wont keep you feeling full/satisfied for long... those calories soon add up so its usually wiser to keep the junk to a minimum, I use the 80/20 rule, 80% wholesome food, 20% cr@p/junk/ or for me that means chocolate :smiley: .
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Haha!

If you did not like my suggestion, just ignore it. There is nothing wrong with it.
    Please do not pick on me just to increase number of your feedbacks. (I think there is craze for it.)
    Thank you!

Kind of the pot calling the kettle black don't you think? Its a public forum. And in a public forum format, you have public conversation. You mentioned what bothered you and I provided you the context to the conversation.

Sometimes, people just want to understand the semantically correct answer. Not only did I provide that, I provided additional value to the conversation... much like your previous response about half truths. I am not here to get my post count up or anything, I am here to help people.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Haha!

If you are in favour of healthy weight loss and see it as a lifestyle change and have time to comment every now and then, why not share wealth of your knowledge with others. I mean, share whatever you got, why hold it back?

Because the assumption is the OP knows about nutrition and that she should be eating a healthy balanced diet otherwise why pose the question
  • Aani15
    Options

Haha!

Thank you!

Kind of the pot calling the kettle black don't you think? Its a public forum. And in a public forum format, you have public conversation. You mentioned what bothered you and I provided you the context to the conversation.

Sometimes, people just want to understand the semantically correct answer. Not only did I provide that, I provided additional value to the conversation... much like your previous response about half truths. I am not here to get my post count up or anything, I am here to help people.

13,000 + and counting.
    Keep it up, one day you will get a noble peace prize for writing unnecessary posts on MFP.
    Good luck!
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I envy those who have extra calories for junk food. I sure don't. I can eat it, of course, but I'll be hungry later. I've found I seriously have to get quality food to stay within what actually works to lose.

But shoot, if you can and want to? I'd find it hard to resist!
  • Aani15
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Haha!

Because the assumption is the OP knows about nutrition and that she should be eating a healthy balanced diet otherwise why pose the question

If someone know about nutrition + assumptions?
    Great way to start with.
    Then why not assume they know about CICO as well?
    Please let it go, you win!