Sweet and Sour Chicken

Options
I am having a hard time finding the calories in a sweet and sour chicken with white rice combo. I know its high but i keep finding conflicting numbers. Anyone able to help? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    If you're making it yourself you need to add it as a recipe from scratch. ie. decide how many people the finished dish will serve, weigh each ingredient as you add it during the cooking process and enter in MFP, this will build the recipe and give you an overall calorie count for the finished pan of food. So for instance for 4 people you'd log (say) the entire 500g chicken etc etc. Then once the recipe is finished, you'll tell MFP that you ate a serving and it will allocate the appropriate % of the overall calories. Don't forget to log the oil etc. and also I'd generally log without the rice as you might have it with noodles or brown rice next time, for example. Good luck - it sounds a faff but it's not really :smile:
  • Clarewho
    Options
    Just to add - I would definitely avoid the generic entries on that one, far too many variables.
  • kdblpn
    kdblpn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It was from a restaurant.
  • Clarewho
    Options
    Ah! Well in that case if the menu/website doesn't have calories you have no way of knowing. It probably doesn't matter too much if you eat out fairly occasionally, but you have two options: 1) don't bother trying to find a match in the database, just pick a number of calories and quick add. OR 2) try to find a similar restaurant showing calorie counts on the menu and use that. You're never going to get it exactly right but at least with the second option your macros will be fairly close to reality. But really, you didn't weigh how much rice or meat you had and you don't know what went in the sauce. So its a best guess x
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    A website I looked on for sweet and sour chicken was said to be 200kcals per 100g however that was with battered chicken.. Also take into account the white rice. That would be a rough estimate however every restaurant uses different ingredients, oils and batters
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    enter the maximum for restaurant quality and move on
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    enter the maximum for restaurant quality and move on

This!
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Panda Express orange chicken is 370. Don't know if that helps......