just started running need adivice

hi every one.
Im a home carer so my dad to day life involves a lot of waling squatting and lunging but over the weekend I decided to start running using the c25k plan. I downloaded the app on my phone and ran sat and Sunday night. I'm getting really into it and love the energy im getting after but:
a. I've put on nearly a pound and a half
b. I'm aching so much today

so my questions are:
a. I know you can put on weight when starting to exercise but how long does it take for your body to adjust?
b. How often should I run because I wanted to go again tonight
c. The backs and inner sides of my upper legs and the front of my lower legs are hurting is this normal?
d. is there any way to alleviate this pain apart from painkillers as I don't like using them

thank guys x

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    A. I am going to say the 1.5 pounds is normal fluctuation (water weight). Highly unlikely that you would have added 1.5 of muscle or fat that quickly.

B. I would follow the plan. I know tons of people who have used C25k and it is a great program. You don't want to do too much too soon

C. I am not sure normal, but nor would I call it abnormal. If those areas are worked in a new way, and it sounds like yes, then normal. :)

D. Once you have the pain short of pain killers or ice not much you can do. Be sure that you warm up a bit before exercise and stretch afterwards and this can help prevent the pain to begin with. :)
  • thank you =) x
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    There are also some foods that are great for runners, like berries. I would try to incorporate those into your diet, they might help with the soreness. If the soreness continues, it could be an issue with your shoes, you might need new running shoes. But my legs are always sore after a good hard run.

OH! And make sure you warm up/stretch really good both before AND after your run. Spend 4-8 minutes warming up and stretching, and 2-4 minutes cooling down/stretching.
  • the shoes are brand new practically but I will say are those easy tone running shoes..
    ill go out and get some thank you
    and the c25k programme involves a 5 min warm up and cool down walk plus a I do a few stretches before I go is this enough?
  • I found stretching after helps depends where your pain is. I am just starting week 8 and getting a good pair of shoes changes everything. I love running which is strange for me as I have never ran in my life.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    the shoes are brand new practically but I will say are those easy tone running shoes..
    ill go out and get some thank you
    and the c25k programme involves a 5 min warm up and cool down walk plus a I do a few stretches before I go is this enough?

I haven't done C25K, so I didn't know it incorporated warm ups. That is probably enough, but if YOU feel you need more, you can always add more. There are days when I am much less flexible than others, so I need to stretch more. Stretching is the most important part of the workout, ya know?

I also wasn't aware of your running shoe situation, simply trying to be helpful. New running shoes should be fine lol.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    I just finished week 4 of Couch to 5k. Good luck with the program, I have really been enjoying it and I hope you do too!

My advice:
    Don't do it back to back days. The program is for 3 days a week, so do it every other day so your body can recover and adjust.

If you can get fitted for running shoes. All my shin and foot pain went away the second I got proper shoes.

Watch a video or google proper running form.

.. and that's all I can think of. Good luck!