Question for ladies over 40

Options
I'm 42, and I'm pretty sure I'm going through early menopause. Even though I haven't experienced hot flashes, a lot of other symptoms are present. I find it harder than ever to resist the sweets and high carb foods. Has this been a problem for you all? What have you guys done to help with this? It's like an irresistible urge to tear into a pack of cookies, or a bag of chips. I can't keep my hunger at bay. I'm bingeing a lot. I can't even keep my diary in good standing, because of the all out binges lately. Any suggestions would be nice. I'm getting a little tired of eggs and meat though, but I know I need to get my protein in. I just want to get full, instead of being constantly hungry or craving for sweets.

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, and I'm pretty sure I'm going through early menopause. Even though I haven't experienced hot flashes, a lot of other symptoms are present. I find it harder than ever to resist the sweets and high carb foods. Has this been a problem for you all? What have you guys done to help with this? It's like an irresistible urge to tear into a pack of cookies, or a bag of chips. I can't keep my hunger at bay. I'm bingeing a lot. I can't even keep my diary in good standing, because of the all out binges lately. Any suggestions would be nice. I'm getting a little tired of eggs and meat though, but I know I need to get my protein in. I just want to get full, instead of being constantly hungry or craving for sweets.

There are going to be a lot of reasons to reach for in life. Don't use perimenopause as one of them. Hormone shifts aren't the reason for your hunger for sweets and carbs, it's just life. I'm not trying to mean or call you out here, I promise. I'm 43 and having the night sweats and that sort of thing myself.
    If you really are hungry, you need to make some changes in your diet to find foods that are more satiating for you. If carbs are leaving you hungry, try more fats. Often fats are missing in the diet and this is why people are more hungry. Switch to full-fat dairy, or add an avocado your sandwich or salad. There are also many other sources of protein other than meat or eggs. Legumes, and several other vegetables contain high levels of protein. There's a soup I make that's entirely vegan that's very satisfying and filling and has lots of protein in it.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

I'm 45, I haven't had this issue. Just curious, whats your calorie goal?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm 48 I'm also curious about your way of eating, do you restrict certain foods or food types or work everything into your calorie defecit ?

How much protein are you aiming for daily? How is this worked out?
  • lucyleigh4
    lucyleigh4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am 40. I have ALWAYS craved that stuff. HOwever, I noticed that once I started taking a probiotic daily, it helped A LOT. Not that I don't ever crave that stuff (I am a chocoholic), but it happens much less often and usually a bite or two will fix whatever cravings I do have.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

I'm almost 49. I find the more junk food I eat, the more I want, and the converse is true too - if I get plenty of protein in relationship to slower carbs, the urge for faster carbs goes away.

I set my macros to be 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein and feel really good on days I hit that. I just need to concentrate on protein, and the rest takes care of itself. (I get plenty of fat without working at it.)

I find protein, fat, and veggies much more satisfying - with fast carbs, I just want to eat and eat and eat. My body is looking for the protein, which I'm not giving it, so is prompting me to eat more.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I just thought that since my will power and my increase in hunger and cravings have become worse, it is probably due to being in early menopause. I never had a problem before. Not this bad, anyway. I'm gonna precook some burritos. Beef with beans, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers; and chicken, with the same. I'm bad about not pre planning my meals, and I just give in and eat whatever I want. @rabbitjb, I don't really restrict anything, but I do aim to get in plenty of filling foods to help with the cravings.
    @strongcurves, I aim for 1200 calories a day. I'm short, 5'3, and 193 lbs. I try to lose at least 2lbs a week.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The secret to avoiding binges on sweets and junk, is to allow a small amount. I have a sweet tooth which I used to fight with but I've learned to embrace it without losing control as I did before. Now, I allow myself a chocolate bar, a pint of ice cream and a small packet of biscuits once a week. I've been doing this all year and I'm now down to 123 lbs from 152. I'm 5'5" and 41.

I also got tired of eggs, meat and chicken about 6 months ago and now eat a plant based diet which also satisfies my preference for starchier and carbier foods like potatoes, pasta, rice, oatmeal, quinoa etc. And for my sweet tooth I get to eat lots of fruits every day. Protein rich foods like legumes take care of protein when combined with plenty of veggies and whole grains and tubers. I eat black beans or lentils almost every day and haven't eaten meat or eggs for months. My blood work has been the best in years so I'll keep on with it for the long term. I don't struggle with hunger, but maybe that's because I eat roughly 1700 calories, 95% of which is whole foods, and therefore voluminous, high in fiber and filling.

So when you're hungry, eat whole foods and when you have a craving for sweets or junk, just eat a small amount. I don't keep large quantities of sweets at home. If I have a craving for ice cream, I drive to the store and buy the pint size (2 cups) which is just enough to hit the spot but not too large to bust my calorie budget.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I'm bad about not pre planning my meals, and I just give in and eat whatever I want.

I think this ^ is key. When I fail to plan, I have a bad day.

• MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I never particularly liked sweets until that stage of life, and then, chocolate tasted incredible to me. I think it has to do with all the hormonal stress on the body. Must make us need energy. It didn't last. Now I'm back to enjoying sweets, but not actually craving it. And I'd rather take a nice nap than boost my energy. lol

• mccindy72
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I just thought that since my will power and my increase in hunger and cravings have become worse, it is probably due to being in early menopause. I never had a problem before. Not this bad, anyway. I'm gonna precook some burritos. Beef with beans, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers; and chicken, with the same. I'm bad about not pre planning my meals, and I just give in and eat whatever I want. @rabbitjb, I don't really restrict anything, but I do aim to get in plenty of filling foods to help with the cravings.
    @strongcurves, I aim for 1200 calories a day. I'm short, 5'3, and 193 lbs. I try to lose at least 2lbs a week.

If you do continue to struggle, try a smaller goal of 1 lb per week, and a higher calorie goal.
  • looneymom
    looneymom Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The cravings have given up with me I gave up all sweets and junk food and drink only water all that sugar makes you want more...I am 48 and lost 37 lbs so far. Working on the other 50lbs now.. I want to be 144 lbs again not 194...I am not saying I am perfect I still overeat some days due to food available. I do eat birthday cake when it is offered I havent given up special occasions. Thanksgiving will be hard for me but I can do it.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    looneymom wrote: »
    The cravings have given up with me I gave up all sweets and junk food and drink only water all that sugar makes you want more...I am 48 and lost 37 lbs so far. Working on the other 50lbs now.. I want to be 144 lbs again not 194...I am not saying I am perfect I still overeat some days due to food available. I do eat birthday cake when it is offered I havent given up special occasions. Thanksgiving will be hard for me but I can do it.

You see how those two statements clash? It's not the sugar that makes you want more. You still overeat on occasion. I'm glad you found some of your trigger foods and don't keep them around - that's a good start. And it's good to still enjoy cake and things for special occasions - that's a good idea, too.
    Don't be afraid of Thanksgiving - it's just one day. If you stick to your calorie deficit every day, and go over on Thanksgiving, you won't gain weight. give yourself permission to enjoy the holiday and relax, without worrying about calorie counting. Have a good time and don't think about it for one day.
    As far as every other day, if you can enjoy foods you like more often in small portions, you'll find it's easier to avoid bingeing when you finally do give in and eat them.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Stop. Making. Excuses.

• neetneet46
    neetneet46 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Stop. Making. Excuses.

• neetneet46
    neetneet46 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well, I feel like you do. I'm going for sweets like crazy . I've had the night sweats and hot flashes . I'm going to my doctor Friday to talk about it because I've been trying to lose weight for a year and nothing's working . I'm working on my protein and eating more . I'm just wanting my doctor to give me a nutrition plan to work with . I've also added more vegetables to my diet . I don't have to have something sweet I just be wanting it. I have a pooch I'm trying to get rid of and trying to get back in my jeans ! My goal size is a 12 . I'm currently 16 .
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Wanting to eat sweets etc isn't to do with hormones/ menopause I would
    guess?. ..its just that
    might be a weakness for you and not related?

I'm 46 but have no menopause symptoms yet...Maybe I'll agree when it's my turn :/

Find something to keep you busy so you don't think of food...also drinking water helps.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! early menopause for sure! wait for all the other HORRIBLE symptoms. I want to be 20 again.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You've got yourself on a fairly steep deficit there.

Quick question -- have you also increased your activity? Are you eating back any exercise calories?

Perimenopause has some pretty specific symptoms affecting your cycle, I'm fairly sure you'd notice those before you'd notice cravings.

What you're describing sounds like needing more food.

FTR, I'm menopausal, past it all, but I was perimenopausal at your age. I'm 53 now.

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I don't have hot flashes (45 here), but I have definitely noticed hormonal weirdness at my ToM, including more food cravings then, yeah.

I don't have any special advice for it. It's actually the least of my complaints relating to my ToM (I get a lot of pain). I have started getting anxiety/depression that is period- and PMS-related, and I sure hope that settles out soon :( Hormones are no joke.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    neetneet46 wrote: »
    Well, I feel like you do. I'm going for sweets like crazy . I've had the night sweats and hot flashes . I'm going to my doctor Friday to talk about it because I've been trying to lose weight for a year and nothing's working . I'm working on my protein and eating more . I'm just wanting my doctor to give me a nutrition plan to work with . I've also added more vegetables to my diet . I don't have to have something sweet I just be wanting it. I have a pooch I'm trying to get rid of and trying to get back in my jeans ! My goal size is a 12 . I'm currently 16 .

Are you weighing your food and logging it, to be sure you are accurate and sticking to your calorie goals? Becuase if you aren't losing any weight, then you are not in a calorie deficit, and that is the only way to lose weight. You don't need a nutrition plan (and to be honest, your doctor has only had about 6 hours of nutrition education). Just eat the food you like, and eat in a calorie deficit, and you will lose the weight. Guarantee it.