knee/ankle pain

Options
I love to walk. Love being outside. Was wondering if anyone else has knee and ankle issues? How do you get past the ache and pain of them? My constantly grind and pop. Ankles catch. I know this is all weight related, but in order to work off the weight, you need to eat right and move.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about water exercise? It will remove the gravity issue and allow you to move without pain.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I spent the last few months exercising the pool, and added cycling about a month ago. Yesterday I finally walked (just a mile). I was pleasantly surprised when I did NOT have any knee twinges afterwards, and I'm very excited to become amphibious :). I know walking is supposed to be a very gentle exercise, and it is, but swimming/water exercise and cycling are both easier on the knees, especially if you are heavy. The only problem, of course, is that you DO need equipment for those.

Other than that: knee and ankle braces, the cycle ergometer (arm machine) or rowing machine at the gym, and/or just dieting for a little while until you get the weight down a bit. You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight (although it does help and it feels good). Or just focus more on resistance exercises that don't put any extra load on the knees for a while. Depending on how much pain you are in, though, it might be good if you keep moving those joints as much as you can. This would be more a conversation with your doctor, but sometimes keeping joints in motion does LESSEN the pain.

• cdmart1
    cdmart1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    missie0611 wrote: »
    I love to walk. Love being outside. Was wondering if anyone else has knee and ankle issues? How do you get past the ache and pain of them? My constantly grind and pop. Ankles catch. I know this is all weight related, but in order to work off the weight, you need to eat right and move.

I went through rehab with my knees due to playing softball. Worked with physical therapist for a while and they made me exercise my legs with sitting leg lifts. They told me I neede to work the muscles around the knees.
  • missie0611
    missie0611 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    cdmart1 wrote: »

I went through rehab with my knees due to playing softball. Worked with physical therapist for a while and they made me exercise my legs with sitting leg lifts. They told me I neede to work the muscles around the knees.

Did you happen to use leg weights?
  • heyjude2014j
    heyjude2014j Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    cdmart1 wrote: »

I have the same problem...just went for a walk for 55 min of which 45 I was doing my best to distract myself from the pain. I'm going to ice it, put tiger balm on it and figure out which specific exercises will help it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I know this is all weight related, but in order to work off the weight, you need to eat right and move.

No exercise is needed for fat loss. You just need to eat fewer calories than you burn. :+1:

What shoes do you walk in?
  • missie0611
    missie0611 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of new balance.