Recomp macros

Options
Hi all

I'm curious as to the importance of adhering to macros during recomp. I know that protein is crucial, but what about the other two? Can an incorrect balance have an impact on results - e.g. too much fat halting fat loss?

[Background TL;DR: I've been recomping now since May, finished NROLFW and just started Strong Curves. I've definitely gained muscle on my legs, butt and upper body, which is great. However, I haven't noticed any fat loss (or 'leaning out', I suppose) - and my measurements haven't changed. My weight has increased by about 2lbs. My macros are currently set to 300C / 44 F / 100P. I always hit my protein goal, but often go over on fat and don't hit anywhere near my carb goal.]

TIA.

Replies

• cuboids
    cuboids Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    So for a recomp recommended is:
    0.6-0.85 gram protein per lbs
    0.4-0.45 grams of fat per lbs
    Fill the rest with carbs.

These are minimums, so going over fat and not hitting carbs is totally fine.
    Seeing you gained weight, you are probably eating just a bit too much. Try to decrease your calorie intake a bit. Maybe 100 less in a day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Macros are far less important when at maintenance than when cutting (esp. protein). So really set them to support your health and your training regime in a way that is sustainable long term.

Too much fat in your diet doesn't halt fat loss unless it puts you in a caloric surplus.

When you say you gained 2lbs - is that a gradual drift or just a sudden bump when coming off a deficit? (Which is far from unusual as you replenish glycogen stores.)
    My macros are currently set to 300C / 44 F / 100P
    You haven't mentioned your weight but similar to the post above I much prefer to regard protein and fat as minimums and carbs fit in wherever they fall. Far more flexible.
  • wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is very good to now. I have been wondering about this myself. I tend to eat lots of fats and protein and was worried that this was somehow affecting my fat loss. I started eating at maintenance ( or at least what I think is) in the beginning of August and my weight jumped 3-4 pounds that month but measurements are the same. Weight has stabilized but no other changes that I can tell.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    For this recomp thing I have been doing since April, I do make the macros matter. I also carb cycle (which I do several days of the week... this is just what I do) my protein is way up there.. I aim for more than the min requirement. I am 110 lbs and it is easy to do the math for me a 1 gr per body weight and on the low carb days I get much more than that..
  • cuboids
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Macros are far less important when at maintenance than when cutting (esp. protein). So really set them to support your health and your training regime in a way that is sustainable long term.

Too much fat in your diet doesn't halt fat loss unless it puts you in a caloric surplus.

When you say you gained 2lbs - is that a gradual drift or just a sudden bump when coming off a deficit? (Which is far from unusual as you replenish glycogen stores.)
    My macros are currently set to 300C / 44 F / 100P
    You haven't mentioned your weight but similar to the post above I much prefer to regard protein and fat as minimums and carbs fit in wherever they fall. Far more flexible.

Gradual drift. I'm not coming off a deficit - I've always weighed about 115. Now it's more like about 117.

I'm eating the amount that scooby, NROLFW and SC say I should. I'll tighten up my logging and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help!
  • cuboids
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    So for a recomp recommended is:
    0.6-0.85 gram protein per lbs
    0.4-0.45 grams of fat per lbs
    Fill the rest with carbs.

These are minimums, so going over fat and not hitting carbs is totally fine.
    Seeing you gained weight, you are probably eating just a bit too much. Try to decrease your calorie intake a bit. Maybe 100 less in a day.

Good idea. I'm going to add in some light cardio too!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    A 2lb difference could just be fluctuation, not actual weight gain. I'm sure your "always" 115 number varies by a pound or two depending on water weight, fluids, sodium, hormones, time of day, sleep, etc.

But if you're convinced it's a real gain, then yeah, probably a bit of cardio would help. Also, have you considered that maybe your strength program is just getting too easy for you? Are you progressively making it more difficult?
  • cuboids
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    A 2lb difference could just be fluctuation, not actual weight gain. I'm sure your "always" 115 number varies by a pound or two depending on water weight, fluids, sodium, hormones, time of day, sleep, etc.

But if you're convinced it's a real gain, then yeah, probably a bit of cardio would help. Also, have you considered that maybe your strength program is just getting too easy for you? Are you progressively making it more difficult?

I hope it's fluctuation - stress, lack of sleep etc. I weigh first thing in the morning once a week, and the past couple weeks it's been the same.

We'll see how it goes adjusting to Strong Curves. NROLFW Stage 7 definitely tested me for sure.
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just saw this thread and was curious how strong curves is going. I just switched to maintenance and started strong curves glutes only program. I'm on week 3.
  • R0asted
    R0asted Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    44f seems obscenely low. Maybe that's just me though. Must be really hard to not go over that.