High calorie foods!

Options
Trying to eat 3400 calories a day can be difficult. What foods are you all eating to help you meet your daily calorie goal?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil, flakes, Heavy Whipping Cream, Almonds, Eggs.

A half pound if fats is more calories than a pound of protein or carbs.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    chips and more chips, burgers,
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Macadamia nuts and oil, MCT Oil, kerrygold grass-fed butter.
  • HankD50
    HankD50 Posts: 49 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I started using card powder to add extra calories.
    If you're active enough it's a great choice.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »

If we're going to keep linking to this, I like to point out a few of the comments. Especially the one where OP says

"I don't use a definition for "calorie dense" myself. The list was originally created to help those who needed a boost of just a few hundred more calories to get into a safer calorie range. I tried to include a broad list of items to try and hit a variety of needs and tastes and I wanted to include a number of smaller things that could be added to dishes here and there to give someone a boost."

So a few items on the list are not exactly fitting of the standard definition of calorie dense. The one that sticks out to me is pretzels.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    cdudley628 wrote: »
    CyberTone wrote: »

If we're going to keep linking to this, I like to point out a few of the comments. Especially the one where OP says

"I don't use a definition for "calorie dense" myself. The list was originally created to help those who needed a boost of just a few hundred more calories to get into a safer calorie range. I tried to include a broad list of items to try and hit a variety of needs and tastes and I wanted to include a number of smaller things that could be added to dishes here and there to give someone a boost."

So a few items on the list are not exactly fitting of the standard definition of calorie dense. The one that sticks out to me is pretzels.

You'll also note that I commented late:r "If I could go back and edit them out, I would. But that window passed a long time ago."

I've repeatedly asked others to post their own suggestions within the thread, but so few take me up on it. You're welcome to create your own list and see if the mods will sticky it in the gaining forum or replace mine in the food & nutrition stickies whenever they get around to updating them.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ice cream, bagels, pasta, rice, cookies, etc.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I gained weight eating a pizza.
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    oreos. a sleeve a day keeps the gainz on the way.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I am unsure if this helps, but I think dried fruit and granola is very high in calories for just a small (unsatisfying) portion. maybe give those a go?
  • neplainjanepas
    neplainjanepas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I see people posting high fat foods like whipped creme and ice creme. Are these good choices for long term weight gain? Maybe this where I've always made mistakes but I've always used foods like potato's and starches for weight gain. I've never thought to use creme, but I guess it makes sense?
  • dizzler1
    dizzler1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    OP I am also on 3400 cals a day , no way could I do that with normal (healthy ) foods , I supplement with a good quality mass gainer shake which includes whey protein
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I see people posting high fat foods like whipped creme and ice creme. Are these good choices for long term weight gain? Maybe this where I've always made mistakes but I've always used foods like potato's and starches for weight gain. I've never thought to use creme, but I guess it makes sense?

I don't know that the source of the calories really matters. You're going to find long term success in weight gain by consistently reaching your calorie goal. Consistency and patience are what really matters; the types of foods that get you to that calorie goal are less important except for your personal goals and satiety levels.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, peanut butter with nutella, peanut butter with chocolate and marshmallows, you get my drift.

Also deep fried pork rinds. Butter on everything. Cheese and nuts with everything.