Need motivation? Must read!

Options
Countryboy_83
Countryboy_83 Posts: 946 Member
edited October 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hello all,
I'm writing this for the people who need motivation or support. When I was 17 I was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer which eventually spread to my lungs. As a result of the bone cancer I had to have surgery to have a prosthesis put in my right leg. As a result my ACL MCL we're both removed. I'm unable to run, jump, or do any exercise where I have to bend at the knees. As a result of all the chemotherapy my heart function, kidney function, and liver function were all abnormal. At age 27 and at 270 pounds I decided I wanted to make a change in my life. I decided to join a local gym and start my journey to 115 pounds weight loss. When I started the gym I was intimidated by everyone around me. I also have social anxiety which didn't help matters. I however wasn't going to let anything stop me from getting to my goals. The first month was a struggle because I was not active at all and had a lot of health issues. As time went on I researched the proper way to eat and exercise. After the first month I could feel my body starting to adjust and things started to become easier. The first month I only did cardio and starting the second month I started to add strength training. The first couple months the weight was falling off and then started to taper off. I wouldn't let myself get discouraged and I just kept plugging away. After four months I had lost 70 pounds. And after eight months I had reached my goal of 115 pounds. I went from flab to abs with no trainers, a total knee replacement, a lot of health issues, and a lot of will power. Everyone in my family is obese. So I feel like if I can lose all that weight with so much working against me than anyone who is reading this can do the same thing. It won't be easy and there will be some trial and error but if you keep trying and never give up you will reach your goal. When people ask me for advice the best thing I can tell them is never lose focus of your goals and keep working towards them no matter what. During my weight loss journey I researched a lot about nutrition and that was 90% of my end result the other 10% being the gym. You don't listen to what anyone else says all that matters is what you believe and if you feel you can reach your goal you will. If you have any questions feel free to inbox me and I will help you anyway that I can and good luck in your journey.

Replies

• Countryboy_83
    Options
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What an inspiring story!
  • Countryboy_83
    Options
    Congratulations! What an inspiring story!

Thank you hoping it reaches those who doubt themselves
  • tsroberts5
    tsroberts5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I needed this today! Thank you! Way to go as well! It's absolutely inspiring!!!
  • Countryboy_83
    Options
    tsroberts5 wrote: »
    I needed this today! Thank you! Way to go as well! It's absolutely inspiring!!!

You're very welcome. One good day after another and your goal awaits you at the end
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Super, super respect. You prove that will and a positive attitude can overcome anything! Thank you so much for sharing.
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You are amazing and brave. Thank you for telling your story.
    It came to me at a perfect time. I have hit a bit of a difficult time on my weight loss journey. I have austeo arthritis in my back.,hips,knees and ankles. Lately the pain has been quite severe so I've been feeling a bit low. Tomorrow it's back to working out and cancel the pitty party.
  • Countryboy_83
    Options
    Hope sone can still use this for help
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I dislocated my knee last October. I can walk on flat now unaided but apparently have underlying knee joint deformities in that my patellar grooves are abnormally shallow and my joints are unstable. The pain and ongoing issues with my knees is a big reason I need to shift the flab. I went back to gym the other week for a class and found most of it involved knee bends that I can not do. It was disheartening but I came to conclusion that I just have to start with where I am at and do what I can. I am doing more walking, just gentle walking on flat ground but I know even that is loads better than sulking on sofa munching. I feel inspired by your story. It gives me hope that eventually I can get back to fitness. Your results are amazing and show a huge amount of determination.
  • Countryboy_83
    Options
    Try stationary bike... Put at a resistance they you feel like you are riding a bike slighty uphill and find a pace you can maintain for 30-45 mins and give that a month then am for a little faster or 60 mins. Bikes are easy on the knees because its low impact. Even walking effects the knees, shins, and ankles at times. Bikes will help you hurn more calories compared to walking and will leave you pain free. It also builds you strength in the legs and helps with your cardiovascular health. Give it a shot for a month. You'll be glad you did.
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Thank you for tip :)
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Awesome story!
  • wildfire1204
    wildfire1204 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks so much for sharing this!
  • Countryboy_83
    Options
    No problem