Cancer? Knee Replacement? No problem

Options

Need motivation? Must read!

Hello all,
I'm writing this for the people who need motivation or support. When I was 17 I was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer which eventually spread to my lungs. As a result of the bone cancer I had to have surgery to have a prosthesis put in my right leg. As a result my ACL MCL we're both removed. I'm unable to run, jump, or do any exercise where I have to bend at the knees. As a result of all the chemotherapy my heart function, kidney function, and liver function were all abnormal. At age 27 and at 270 pounds I decided I wanted to make a change in my life. I decided to join a local gym and start my journey to 115 pounds weight loss. When I started the gym I was intimidated by everyone around me. I also have social anxiety which didn't help matters. I however wasn't going to let anything stop me from getting to my goals. The first month was a struggle because I was not active at all and had a lot of health issues. As time went on I researched the proper way to eat and exercise. After the first month I could feel my body starting to adjust and things started to become easier. The first month I only did cardio and starting the second month I started to add strength training. The first couple months the weight was falling off and then started to taper off. I wouldn't let myself get discouraged and I just kept plugging away. After four months I had lost 70 pounds. And after eight months I had reached my goal of 115 pounds. I went from flab to abs with no trainers, a total knee replacement, a lot of health issues, and a lot of will power. Everyone in my family is obese. So I feel like if I can lose all that weight with so much working against me than anyone who is reading this can do the same thing. It won't be easy and there will be some trial and error but if you keep trying and never give up you will reach your goal. When people ask me for advice the best thing I can tell them is never lose focus of your goals and keep working towards them no matter what. During my weight loss journey I researched a lot about nutrition and that was 90% of my end result the other 10% being the gym. You don't listen to what anyone else says all that matters is what you believe and if you feel you can reach your goal you will. If you have any questions feel free to inbox me and I will help you anyway that I can and good luck in your journey.

Replies

• ajgordo150
    ajgordo150 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good for you,and I'm trying sometimes it's gets frustrating
  • Countryboy_83
    Countryboy_83 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    ajgordo150 wrote: »
    Good for you,and I'm trying sometimes it's gets frustrating

It's all mind over matter. If you want it go get it. No matter what you are faced with you can overcome
  • cherieap1
    cherieap1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I saw your before and afters in another thread. Post those here so everyone can get the full effect of what you have accomplished with all the medical issues. You have done a phenomenal job!!!
  • Countryboy_83
    Options
    cc5g2c0ysogr.jpeg
  • Countryboy_83
    Options
    dljms9ygc9bk.jpeg
  • Countryboy_83
    Options
    gkmu0giin8ej.jpeg
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    "I just kept plugging away" Love it. Amazing transformation and story. Thanks for sharing. Continued good health.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience, your success is inspirational!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pictures. You look amazing. :star::star::star:
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Wow! Fantastic transformation. Thank you so much for sharing your story!
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    you are absolutely inspirational, thankyou for sharing your story! Your story really gave me the mental kick up the *kitten* I needed.
  • Countryboy_83
    Options
    Thank you everyone
  • Marlan528
    Marlan528 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great job! So young to have gone through all of what you have. I have both knees replaced but I don't have the youth that you have. I need to get myself to the gym and at least do some cardio on the treadmill. Not sure I could lift. But you have given me the push I need just to get out and start moving. Best to you.
  • Countryboy_83
    Options
    Marlan528 wrote: »
    Great job! So young to have gone through all of what you have. I have both knees replaced but I don't have the youth that you have. I need to get myself to the gym and at least do some cardio on the treadmill. Not sure I could lift. But you have given me the push I need just to get out and start moving. Best to you.

Stationary bike is easy on the knees as well
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Incredibly well done lad.
  • Remawalk
    Remawalk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! Great job!
  • Parsniphead
    Parsniphead Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow. I needed a kick up the backside to get me motivated again. You just did it.

Youre strength and courage are amazing. You look amazing. Well done.
  • Countryboy_83
    Options
    Wow. I needed a kick up the backside to get me motivated again. You just did it.

Youre strength and courage are amazing. You look amazing. Well done.

Thank you! Keep pushing no excuses
  • plovdiva
    plovdiva Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your will is inspiring ! I have an ACL repair that still bothers me two years post surgery. Now I have the extra motivation to get that leg and my life fixed! No more excuses! Thank you!
  • Countryboy_83
    Options
    plovdiva wrote: »
    Your will is inspiring ! I have an ACL repair that still bothers me two years post surgery. Now I have the extra motivation to get that leg and my life fixed! No more excuses! Thank you!

Make sure you stick to stationary bike until full recovered
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!