What are your thoughts on caffeine consumption while pregnant?

Options
KristineLoginov
KristineLoginov Posts: 15 Member
I have researched scientific studies and I would agree that there is relations between caffeine consumption and the risks of low birth weight, premature birth, birth loss -
The fetus is completely dependent on mom's nourishment. When you're pregnant your body needs more of everything. More of carbs, protein, calcium, folic acid, iron and zinc and of course more vitamins. Caffeine is a diuretic and mild laxative which accelerates digestion - not giving your body enough time to absorb the nutrients and minerals you and your baby needs. especially when drinking caffeine with meals. Imagine what is doing to your baby. The higher levels of caffeine consumption the higher the risks. Also pregnant women have slower caffeine metabolism and it's easily transmitted across the placenta. The fetus at this time does not have the capability to produce enough enzymes to metabolize caffeine.

Please be aware of the risks and be conscious what you put in your body. There are many ways to prevent this. Drink caffeine free tea or decaf coffee. Instead of pop, there is water or natural fruits juices.

Your friend,

Kristine Loginov

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that you should take it up with your doctor and get an informed opinion from them instead of strangers on the internet.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    Caffeine Free coke and rum doesn't taste as good though. ;)
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options

just try mixing your liquor with "natural fruits juices" if you're preggo, R
    Even better, please avoid exposing your pride and joy to alcohol. It might not go well!
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »

Even better, please avoid exposing your pride and joy to alcohol. It might not go well!

Actually, I was expressing pride and joy for caffeinated coke.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »

Somebody missed the joke :p