Stomach fat

Options
I've lost 20lbs so far, which is awesome, but I'm struggling in the core area. I have a lot of pain in between my shoulder blades and neck when I lift weights, so I'm wondering what my options are for my core. I have heard that crunches are probably the best bet, but I just wanted some other opinions. I take a brisk 3 mile walk everyday and I'm doing the squat challenge which has really impacted my glutes and quads. Any aerobic activity that is good for core?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, you're body is going to pull fat for from wherever it wants, and belly fat is normally the last to go.

A caloric deficit is the only way to get rid of it. The mantra is "abs are made in the kitchen", and it's true. There isn't a magic exercise out there that will specifically remove fat from the tummy. Eat right, do a combination of weight and cardio training, make sure you're at a caloric deficit, and be patient.

If you do that, the fat will come off. It just takes time as that is the last place it comes from.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Nothing to say here, RGv2 said it best. The effort you you've put in thus far is a template for how you need to go a bit more in order to achieve your goal. Good luck!
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I personally noticed my belly flatten more with running and clean(er) eating. Lots of lean protein and veggies, fruits, and whole grains.
  • Suffer4beauty
    Suffer4beauty Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What Chris and RGv2 said... that being said, if you do work on your core, it will look "tighter" once the belly fat melts away with your caloric deficit strategy. Crunches can be good - but only if you use correct form - so u-tube directions. Also, planks are great and "crunching rolls" - a push up position, but tops of feel laying on a ball - pull knees down and in toward chest (the ball will roll forward with your feet) and then extend your legs again. Also "dead bug" crunches where it's like a reverse crunch - legs straight up in air and lift hips up instead of your shoulder blades (or lift both at the same time). Push ups are actually VERY good for the core. Start with just 5 a day - even if they are the modified kind from you knees - and then work up to more modified ones OR try one "real" one and then 4 modified ones, etc. This will slowly build those neck/shoulder/back muscles so that maybe one day you won't have pain if you try lifting again.
  • cougar2007
    cougar2007 Posts: 25
    Options
    Agree with all of the above. Unfortunately, you cannot spot reduce. If we could you'd have a bunch of men walking around with a 6 pack and super skinny legs and arms.

If you want a good ab workout though, I created one here: http://my.bodybuilding.com/workouts/workout-templates-details/Samiam2007/51ba0b450cf2057d032a5275

Just relying on crunches is not going to cut it. You need a variety of workouts to hit and build all parts of your abs.

Instead of just doing a steady cardio workout, I would suggest HIIT. It burns more calories and continues burning them after your workout. Couple this with monitoring your macros and you will be set.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Obviously these guys are right about spot reducing, but it does sounds like you are also just interested in increasing strength in your core. And that helps with posture, which can also make you look leaner through your core. I've lost a lot of my back pain using the Winsor Pilates Abs Sculpting video. Pilates and yoga are my go-to for core workouts.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I would also like to that that when you are lifting, not only engage your core, but also the muscles between your scapulas. (rhomboids and mid traps) They help support that shoulder and the scapulas.

http://www.fitpowernation.com/3/post/2012/08/scapular-pain-when-running.html