High BP - Reversing it....

Options
Is anyone dealing with high blood pressure? How much weight did you have to lose before you saw a significant effect towards reversing it? They say even as much as 10 lbs can help just curious as this is a recent , out of the blue diagnosis for me. My stress level is extremely high right now so mine is not all weight related but that is also a contributing factor! Any experiences to share appreciated!

Thanks,

Amy

Replies

• desimia1
    desimia1 Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi Amy!

I have super high blood pressure and am super high strung...... that being said, I have lost about 50 pounds since my diagnosis and I am almost in the normal range but not yet low enough to get off my BP Meds. I am on two different meds and have about another 80 pounds to loose. I have heard cardio is definately best for lowering it though. Hope this helps !

Amanda
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I continue to work on it, but mine appears to primarily be hereditary. Mine has gone down a little, but I still need my meds. Good new though is that it's completely normal now with meds...before, it was still elevated even with medication...just not through the roof like it was without.

Good luck.
  • Amyrose716
    Amyrose716 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for sharing. My doctor is having a hard time finding the right combination of meds for me. I am so frustrated. I know the continued weight loss will help but I just wish it would happen sooner! Argh!!!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I was never on medication, but moving in that direction. I was pre-hypertensive with bp typically around 138/92. Here's what I did. Lost 40+ pounds and my bp definitely came down. But the biggest drops came from limiting sodium to around 1500 mg/day and boosting potassium (lots of fresh fruits and veggies, potatoes, salmon and beans) AND from doing regular HIIT cardio (35 minute sessions) on the elliptical.

My bp this morning was 107/72.

Buy a blood pressure monitor if you don't have one and start tracking it at home. To me, that's step #1.

High blood pressure is very serious. Sometimes it isn't possible to reduce it to within normal limits by just diet and exercise alone, but sometimes it is.

Best wishes!