I can't move, what to do?

Options
I'm new to exercise, I have done yoga on and off but nothing else really. I want to be a bit stronger so I started the beginners program of You Are Your Own Gym. The first day, pushing and pulling was very hard and the next day I was pretty sore, but that's normal I think. Yesterday was leg and core day, pretty hard too. This morning I woke up and I couldn't move. I dropped my towel and you won't believe how difficult it was to pick it up from the floor again. Apparently everything I do, every move I make, everything uses some muscle in the legs. I've lost all my flexibility overnight. My boyfriend was laughing at me when I fell over trying to put pants on. He did help me up though.

Is this normal? I'm sore, but mostly I'm as inflexible as concrete. Should I stretch? Do nothing? Do something else?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Have you been properly warming up, cooling down and stretching after you exercises? If so, you might have been going too hard too fast too soon.

Warm up, light movement at least 5 minutes. Get everything loosened up and warm.
    Exercise without going too hard at first. You'll pick it up later.
    Cool down, light movement until your heart rate slows below one hundred beats per minute.
    Strecthes
    Shower.

Yes, you should stretch. Slow, methodical, NO BOUNCING. Stretch as far as you are comfortable, DON'T OVER STRECTCH TO BEGIN. Again, you'll get better with work.

Keep at it at a comfortable pace. You're not in a race. Just getting started.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As the above poster said, stretching is your friend before exercise. Even just 15 min will help. For now, use an anti-inflamatory for the pain and a topical cream for sore muscles. Do not stop exercising. For a couple of days to heal, yes, but then start slow this time. After about a week you can slowly up your movements until you can do it all. Then work on speed and pump. Do not give up stretching--ever.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are completely out of shape, did not do a proper warm up and did not take it easy the first times you started exercising, yes this is normal. If you keep exercising, it will get better after the first few times. If you stop and try again after weeks or months, it will happen again.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    stretching should be done after exercise. studies are showing that it does not help performance if done before. and it may in fact increase the chance of injury.
    dyanamic movement is good. with limited stretches like lunging across the room or skipping.

as for the pain....sounds like you did too much too soon but it can still happen to people who have been exercising for a while. when i had my aerial silks workshop, i couldn't straighten my arms for a few days and i couldn't take off my shirt by myself either.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    Without stretching before swimming laps I would get leg cramps. I've been swimming 20 yrs now and always stretch before---no more cramps for all that time.
  • Bananahat
    Bananahat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did warm up but next time I'll warm up better. I skipped te cool down because I felt fine. I guess that was stupid.

OK, proper warm up, stretching and cool down it is. And taking things slowly. Thanks guys. I really appreciate your advise.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Without stretching before swimming laps I would get leg cramps. I've been swimming 20 yrs now and always stretch before---no more cramps for all that time.

warming up is encouraged but not traditional stretching
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Rest a couple days....repeat.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

warming up is encouraged but not traditional stretching

I just do what works--I think everyone does.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    On sore days it helps to do light cardio to get blood flowing to the muscles. A brisk walk to a run can be very helpful. This allows you to warm up enough to get in more stretching, too.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, stretching and warming up will be your friends, especially if you're new to exercise.

I did YAYOG for a while and, even though I've been a bit of a gym rat for years, even the beginner level caused some aches simply due to a number of the exercises moving my body in ways it wasn't accustomed to.

But if you stretch, warm up, cool down, recover, and eat and sleep well, it will get easier.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Lol, welcome to DOMS. You will be fine in a few days. Take it easy when trying a new workout, warm-ups and stretching won't prevent DOMS. Stretching and moving around will probably help relieve the pain a little bit now that you have it, though.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Cooling down and stretching does help a tiny bit, but isn't the reason this happened, nor is it essential. Warming up is essential, but in my experience it is to loosen up the muscles so I can perform at my normal level, not to prevent muscle soreness. Warming up is not stretching, but dynamic movements to get the blood flowing.

If I take a 2-week break and then get back into lifting I am extremely sore to where I limp around for the next 2-3 days. Just keep exercising (after a rest day or two) and the pain and stiffness will subside.

I find that when I feel stiff the next day that using lacrosse balls and foam rollers help along with some stretching. My back is aching now, so I'll probably use the lacrosse balls when I get home. I suggest starting with a ball over a foam roller to see if it works for you since a foam roller will cost +$20, where as a ball is $2.

Also, if you are new to exercise, then work into it slowly and progress at a consistent and reasonable pace. Don't start by squatting 100lb, start with just the bar (or less) and throw on 2.5-5lb every time (or whatever is the equivalent to as little as possible with whatever exercise you are doing).
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    The severe soreness will subside, but if you're working out hard, you will likely always have a *bit* of soreness. My first day at the gym, I did maybe 10 total squats, no weights! I could barely move for 2 days and I yelled out in pain every time I had to tackle stairs!! No lie.

Now I can do my 3 sets of squats with some dumbbells and still be quite alright, and it's only been a month. Your muscles are just reminding you to work out more often! I also recommend good stretching after your workout, with maybe a 5 minute general warm up (I usually do a brisk walk on the treadmill). Say, some running in place, jumping jacks, treadmill... anything to get the blood flowing a bit.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and go for a (gentle) walk or swim. That is, get your blood moving to wash out the acids yoru muscles produce as they are rebuilding.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    An Epsom salt bath really helps when you feel that bad. I usually like a nice bit of DOMS, but I went to an instructor training class for a ballet workout one time that lasted (full-out, full-time) all day long, which I certainly wasn't used to. OMG, I could hardly move anything for 3 days after! I swear I think wiggling my nose hurt, lol. It's a very stiff kind of pain, yeah. It can suck! Definitely dial things back, but then also keep progressing. You just want to work up to things :)