Losing 30 pounds by 31st December

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    10%-20% deficit off of your TDEE. Up to 25% maybe if you happen to be, and only while you continue to be, obese. Avoid eating less than your BMR for extended periods of time.

The above combination together with eating ABOUT 1g of protein and AT LEAST 0.45g of fat per lb of body-weight at a BMI of 22 ought to give your average snowflake as good a chance as anything at a healthy weight loss with minimal LBM lost, especially when combined with a progressive weight training plan.

Obviously if you're very large, or very small, or have other considerations that would make the above inadvisable...

TDEE can be calculated through observation over a period of time and from weekly/monthly figures provided by trackers such as Fitbit and similar. It can also be initially estimated using web sites such as scooby's accurate calorie calculator

BMR can be calculated using: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

I remind you that water weight changes due to glycogen, sodium, muscle repair, hormones are an order of magnitude larger than any underlying fat level changes.

People have a weight level, not a single point of time weight. You CAN weigh the same today as you did 3 weeks ago AND be losing FAT at a rate of 1+ lbs a week!

Use web sites such as www.weightracker.com, www.trendweight.com (which I use), Libra for Android, Happy Scale for iPhone to see the changes to your underlying weight level as opposed to your daily water weight fluctuations!

Agree with this

But think the protein and fat minimums are overstated

I would aim for 0.64g (to 0.8g) minimum protein per lb of bodyweight and 0.35g fat min

So 96g protein and 52.5g fat minimum which totals around 860 of your daily calorie allowance which would be around 1300 if sedentary plus exercise cals
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It seems unlikely tbh, short of amputation. Don't do that!

Be more accepting of yourself. Try to eat better long term. The world will continue spinning after Christmas. Presumably! haha
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Personally I know that losing 30pounds by than is very very unlikely and unhealthy.. I added that part in because as I stated in a few comments a university prac teacher told a friend of mine who is only 5-10 pounds above me she needed to lose 30 pounds in ten weeks before the next prac exam
  • KT_3009
    Options
    10%-20% deficit off of your TDEE. Up to 25% maybe if you happen to be, and only while you continue to be, obese. Avoid eating less than your BMR for extended periods of time.

The above combination together with eating ABOUT 1g of protein and AT LEAST 0.45g of fat per lb of body-weight at a BMI of 22 ought to give your average snowflake as good a chance as anything at a healthy weight loss with minimal LBM lost, especially when combined with a progressive weight training plan.

Obviously if you're very large, or very small, or have other considerations that would make the above inadvisable...

TDEE can be calculated through observation over a period of time and from weekly/monthly figures provided by trackers such as Fitbit and similar. It can also be initially estimated using web sites such as scooby's accurate calorie calculator

I remind you that water weight changes due to glycogen, sodium, muscle repair, hormones are an order of magnitude larger than any underlying fat level changes.

People have a weight level, not a single point of time weight. You CAN weigh the same today as you did 3 weeks ago AND be losing FAT at a rate of 1+ lbs a week!

Use web sites such as www.weightracker.com, www.trendweight.com (which I use), Libra for Android, Happy Scale for iPhone to see the changes to your underlying weight level as opposed to your daily water weight fluctuations!

thanks for letting me know those sites! I've always been confused with the TDEE and BMR and such things
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Agree with this

But think the protein and fat minimums are overstated

I would aim for 0.64g (to 0.8g) minimum protein per lb of bodyweight and 0.35g fat min

So 96g protein and 52.5g fat minimum which totals around 860 of your daily calorie allowance which would be around 1300 if sedentary plus exercise cals

Heh, heh, @Rabbitjb: we don't know whether you're suggesting more protein and fat, or I am: you are going off current bodyweight; I am going off weight at normal BMI weight range midpoint.

Your recommendation will better suit someone who isn't very overweight. But, it has the potential of trying to feed too much protein to someone who IS very overweight. Your 0.35g of fat might be a bit low for a normal weight woman.

Anyway: there you go! Just so that you know where these are coming from.
  • KT_3009
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I share the above opinions - it's too much too quickly for someone your size.

thanks for the feedback! I am planning to do it at a steadier rate, I just included the deadline because of what a university prac teacher told my friend who was only 5-10 heavier than me..
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    That teacher is being ridiculous! I'm your height and weigh around 5lbs less than you, I'm netting 1250 calories a day but I'm actually eating about 1550 (yay for exercise calories!). I'm on track for about 10lbs by Christmas, but any loss will make me happy as long as it's sustainable and I feel good :)
  • KT_3009
    Options
    Exactly!! I was shocked that someone would be saying that to a teenager who didn't ask for feedback and also with no nutrition or dietician background it isn't even something he should say to anyone.. I told my friend about this app so I'm hoping we both can work together and just steadily lose the weight. I'm on 1200 calories but from next week I'm upping to 1350 because I'm adding in some extra cardio
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. What on earth are you studying that the teacher has the right to say that or she'll fail the next prac exam?
  • KT_3009
    Options
    I'm not doing the same course as my friend but she's doing paramedics and she failed the first prac test and everyone gets weighed and measured to test BMI and they practically told her she needed to lose 30 pounds to get down to make the ideal BMI. And the next test was in 10 weeks so that's how much time she "has"
  • KT_3009
    Options
    Please disregard the discouraging comments and just start TODAY and see what happens! Maybe you won't make it by December 31st, but a healthy new body will be a fabulous gift to yourself in the New Year! Best of luck.

thankyou :) I am planning on taking any weightloss as an achievement, and I have been sticking to my calories so whatever weight I lose is great!!