trolls vs support

Options
2»

Replies

• cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It was the juicing thread in which Fed Up was used as a citation for the evils of sugar. I can't imagine why someone would question that!

*snort*

OP, at some point people got to admit that *maybe* they are actually wrong.

Well she said right in her first post "Like everyone else on here im wrong sometimes." So I think that is something she realizes. I think that some people go a bit overboard in the way they say things and do come off as rude, and I do think that this should be a supportive place. Weight loss isn't easy and people are looking for some advice, but it doesn't mean they're stupid. Simply they need to be informed, not talked down to.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How come the people that create these threads never post the link to the thread they are complaining about?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    amberlyda1 wrote: »
    If we were all experts on nutrition, weight loss etc, than we would not be on here asking for advice. None of us would be struggling with our weight.

Who said we were all struggling with our weight? Tracking your calories doesn't imply that you're struggling.

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    How come the people that create these threads never post the link to the thread they are complaining about?

They can't and shouldn't as it is a violation of the forum rules.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    cdudley628 wrote: »
    It was the juicing thread in which Fed Up was used as a citation for the evils of sugar. I can't imagine why someone would question that!

*snort*

Well she said right in her first post "Like everyone else on here im wrong sometimes." So I think that is something she realizes. I think that some people go a bit overboard in the way they say things and do come off as rude, and I do think that this should be a supportive place. Weight loss isn't easy and people are looking for some advice, but it doesn't mean they're stupid. Simply they need to be informed, not talked down to.

OP wasn't posting asking for advice though. She was making declarative statements meant to guide the food choices of others. When we offer advice to others, we're accountable for the accuracy of the information that we provide.

If someone is asking for support, I agree they should receive it. If they're giving information to others, that's different.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I read both threads. I don't see what the problem was--normal MFP discussion. OP-- studying is a good thing, but putting it into practice in front of lots of people that have lost lots of weight, and know their stuff can be tricky. You want to be a dietician. What happens when future clients start to question you---same reaction? On MFP you have a chance to learn alot that will help you in your future profession. Do some lurking, learn alot , and then jump in to the fray. B)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If this is about the juicing thread, people weren't calling you dumb or stupid. They were questioning the links you provided as your support, as those links aren't good research materials. If you were taught to do research by just linking to Google articles that sound good, then you were taught wrong. Doesn't make you stupid, just means your education is lacking in that area.

While there are a lot of people on here that don't sugar-coat comments and will tell it like they see it, I've seen very few people that are actual trolls or just saying mean things to be mean. And most of the time, they don't stay around. Being told you're wrong isn't an attack on you. Granted, some people will use that to attack others, but that's not normally the case. If you can't accept that you were wrong or misinformed about something, then maybe this forum isn't for you. Here, you will be given the opportunity to discuss things and learn why you're wrong about something, if you want to. If you're here for support, there's plenty of that available. That's a large part of why these forums exist. But this isn't happy sunshine unicorn land, and if people believe you're wrong about something, they will say so. And that is sometimes harsh. If you can't take that kind of discussion, either avoid those topics or create your own forum of people that agree with you no matter what.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    cdudley628 wrote: »

*snort*

OP wasn't posting asking for advice though. She was making declarative statements mean to guide the food choices of others. When we offer advice to others, we're accountable for the accuracy of the information that we provide.

If someone is asking for support, I agree they should receive it. If they're giving information to others, that's different.

Okay. I totally agree with that. I would not give information on a topic that I have not done enough academic research to know about.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I believe support is actually calling someone out when they are sharing misinformation. It's supportive not only of that person, but of anyone else reading that misinformation on the forums. Sure, there are a bunch of different ways you can do that, however it is still support.

I have always been under the philosophy that support comes in all shapes, sizes and tongues. What is supportive to one person is not to someone else. So, I take what support or advice works for me...and the rest the others to those that it may be the support they need. I don't proclaim that my support is the best and only way and dictate that support should only look like what I need.

Extremely well-said. I truly hope the OP (and a few others) read this and take it to heart.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by support, there isn't mutual exclusion.
    I'll support and validate any person's feelings - a feeling can't be wrong, only what gets done with it.
    I won't support and validate everyone's "facts". I, and I think a number of people here, think that letting someone persist in believing false information is the opposite of support. It is leaving them the victim of false information. Losing weight is hard, but I think it is a lot harder when dealing with it on top of belief in the wrong ideas about how it works.

Best wishes for your education, and sorry if you got left with serious doubt about it.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I believe support is actually calling someone out when they are sharing misinformation. It's supportive not only of that person, but of anyone else reading that misinformation on the forums. Sure, there are a bunch of different ways you can do that, however it is still support.

I have always been under the philosophy that support comes in all shapes, sizes and tongues. What is supportive to one person is not to someone else. So, I take what support or advice works for me...and the rest the others to those that it may be the support they need. I don't proclaim that my support is the best and only way and dictate that support should only look like what I need.

"support" here too often means you have to be a dittohead for whatever is being discussed.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by support, there isn't mutual exclusion.
    I'll support and validate any person's feelings - a feeling can't be wrong, only what gets done with it.
    I won't support and validate everyone's "facts". I, and I think a number of people here, think that letting someone persist in believing false information is the opposite of support. It is leaving them the victim of false information. Losing weight is hard, but I think it is a lot harder when dealing with it on top of belief in the wrong ideas about how it works.

Best wishes for your education, and sorry if you got left with serious doubt about it.

^This exactly. Weight loss and healthy is already a minefield of quick fixes and advertisers and magazines looking to make a buck with the next big thing. Most people come into it confused and with a whole lot of conflicting information bombarding them. Wouldn't it be great if someone training to become a healthcare professional could help us to dispel some of those myths?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh. You have a different idea who the trolls are and who are the support folks. How about the attention troll advocating unhealthy behavior towards food? Many contributors swarm to these sorts of threads trying to warn people away. A sad consequence is that the thread goes viral. So much attention on bad behavior.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

In this case, the subject matter discussed nearly always leads to community uproar. If you believe a post violates community guidelines, please report it and let the moderation team take a look. I would also like to remind folks that bringing drama from one discussion into another is also a violation of the above cited guideline.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    JustSomeEm
This discussion has been closed.