How to properly enter exercise?

Options
I usually like to use the elliptical at the gym. After 30 minutes the machines usually says I've burned around 400 calories while the fitness pal app says I've burned closer to 650 so which should I trust. I don't need an exact number but those are two very different numbers.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The machine knows better how much effort you put in. This is especially true if you entered your weight and age.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Gently. And use protection.

Serious Answer: Both are probably overestimations. If you're dong steady state cardio, a HRM would probably be more accurate, but who knows? This is why I started using the TDEE method - no need to log exercise when it's already worked into your calorie goal.
  • mimi0503
    mimi0503 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always err on the side of underestimating my calories burned so I would trust the machine more than MyFitnessPal.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

Serious Answer: Both are probably overestimations. If you're dong steady state cardio, a HRM would probably be more accurate, but who knows? This is why I started using the TDEE method - no need to log exercise when it's already worked into your calorie goal.

+1. TDEE method is better than trying to find the calories burned in a workout/exercise/training session. In particular, when you are not doing cardio and HRM can not be accurate, either.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

+1. TDEE method is better than trying to find the calories burned in a workout/exercise/training session. In particular, when you are not doing cardio and HRM can not be accurate, either.

But with TDEE method aren't you telling the app what your activity level is and isn't this level, supplied by you, just another estimate? I say slightly active, am I really sedentary or highly active? Wouldn't that over/under estimation carry over day after day? Is this better that estimating your calories for each activity? If you're estimating correctly one over should counter act one under, no?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

But with TDEE method aren't you telling the app what your activity level is and isn't this level, supplied by you, just another estimate? I say slightly active, am I really sedentary or highly active? Wouldn't that over/under estimation carry over day after day? Is this better that estimating your calories for each activity? If you're estimating correctly one over should counter act one under, no?

You're overthinking it.

It's an estimate either way and there's no way around that. If you have a set exercise routine (TDEE goes by hours of activity per week), TDEE is the most hassle-free way to do it. Of course it's also an estimate, but it's certainly not less accurate than estimating each workout. The error from day to day really doesn't matter as long as you're getting in roughly the amount of activity you entered into the calculator over the course of the week.

If you do the TDEE method and end up not losing (or gaining), you adjust accordingly because just like everything else, it's an estimate. But I've found TDEE to be way more accurate than using MFP's goals and entering in exercise as I do it. I've found Scooby's website to be extremely accurate.

If you DON'T have a set workout routine and only exercise sporadically, it's probably best to log it as you go.