18 pounds in 2 months? Possible?

Options
Hello guys,
Please suggest if there are any ways, diet changes etc. to lose 18 pounds in 2 months and how do I go about it? In dire need of help...

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you're very obese, maybe.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason for the deadline?
    Also: without your stats, there is no way to know if a 9lb/month loss is appropriate for you. If you are obese then possibly. But by obese I mean more than 100lbs to lose. If you are only 18lb from your goal weight then that rate of loss is not realistic.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you're already 200 or less then probably not. But if you're 250 then maybe. Enter your stats into MFP and set your rate of loss and get started. You'll lose as much as you'll lose. Just do your best.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When I weighed 250, I did lose that much weight in that amount of time.

Now, in the 150s, I'd have to eat almost nothing. It would be so little that I couldn't function properly and lose that much. Although, technically, everyone who loses weight is starving themselves, I'd have to be seriously, really starving to do that. It wouldn't be healthy!

So, I think that how fat you are plays a part. Did for me, anyway.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Not likely unless you're really heavy to start. What's with the deadline?
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Your profile states you are female, and only 22 pounds away from your goal weight. If your goal weight is within the range of your recommended BMI, you can realistically expect to lose 5 pounds of fat at most, in a healthy way in two months. Any additional amount would likely be water and lean body mass.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Let's look at the math. To lose 18 pounds of fat, you'd need to eat 18 pounds x 3500 calories less than your body burns every day for 60 days. That's 63,000 calories. Divide that by 60 days and you'll need to burn 1,050 calories more than you eat every day between now and then.

Since you have about 18 pounds to lose I'm going to guess that you probably burn about 1700 calories per day just by getting out of bed, going to work and generally living every day but I could be off by several hundred calories in either direction depending on your height and current weight. If I'm right, that leaves you 1,700 - 1050 = 650 calories you can eat if you do no exercise. The fewest amount of calories a female should eat are 1200 per day so you'd need to do 550 calories worth of exercise every day to meet that minimum and still meet your weight loss goal. Surviving on 650 net calories every day would probably not be pleasant, though.

So, if your TDEE is really 1700 calories it's marginally doable, but not really healthy or sustainable, and I think you'd be a very unhappy person in the process. If your TDEE is lower, I wouldn't even try it. If it's higher, you'd have a slightly better chance at success.
  • unfamiliar_with_impossible
    Options
    Oh wow
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Not with so little to lose, sorry.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Not happening
  • jsa_mason
    jsa_mason Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I did it, so yeah.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    jsa_mason wrote: »
    I did it, so yeah.

how did you do it
    where you obese at the time.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    i agree with the others if you just have 22 left overall to lose.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Hello guys,
    Please suggest if there are any ways, diet changes etc. to lose 18 pounds in 2 months and how do I go about it? In dire need of help...

Put your details in to MFP diary, set the goal to lose 2lbs a week and see if you can live on the amount of calories it says.
    Personally I'd not rush it, set it to 1lb a week loss, eat at that amount plus half of any exercise calories back. You want this to become a sustainable way of eating until you reach your goal weight. You can lose 18lbs for sure, just take the deadline out of the equation :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Gain 300 lbs first. Then at your new weight, it will be possible to lose 9 lbs per month :)
  • mumbles2013
    mumbles2013 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Do not ask for any advice on losing weight quickly on here. People immediately go for you. If you are trying to lose weight in a way they don't approve of then it's apparently wrong because they know it all.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Do not ask for any advice on losing weight quickly on here. People immediately go for you. If you are trying to lose weight in a way they don't approve of then it's apparently wrong because they know it all.

yes thats right. there is nothing wrong with setting possibly unrealistic goals and then getting upset when you either fail or you dont like the end results.

p.s i think the responses so far have been reasonable. What is probably needed is more information in the original post.
  • mumbles2013
    mumbles2013 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

yes thats right. there is nothing wrong with setting possibly unrealistic goals and then getting upset when you either fail or you dont like the end results.

p.s i think the responses so far have been reasonable. What is probably needed is more information in the original post.

Yes you're right about everything just like everyone else
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

So, would you rather people give advice they didn't agree with? If someone asks for advice on how to do something from a bunch of people that those people consider dangerous and unhealthy, what do you think they should say? Should they say to go ahead and do it, or just stay silent?
  • Therealobi1
    Options

Yes you're right about everything just like everyone else

you sound upset about something