Getting tattoos done and can't go to gym

Options

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I got mine done in another country while traveling, but don't all y'all get a special covering for yours? I had antibiotic cream and a covering (not a bandage). It was like breathable clear plastic, and I had several sheets to keep on it for the first maybe week. It was bandaged the first day (or two?).

I wasn't supposed to submerge it, but as it was on my ankle bone it got lots of skin movement (although no clothes that time of year). I was never told to avoid anything except submersion and not wearing the protective covering and antibiotic. And no taking of blood thinning pain killers for a while.

I walked everywhere. It healed up quickly and perfectly. I really did miss the jacuzzi at the hotels, though!
  • mwyatt005
    mwyatt005 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The best advice is to follow the instructions of your artist, most good artists will know if you've done anything to prevent proper healing. Most artist also won't guarantee their work or do free touch ups if they feel you didn't provide proper after care. I have had 6 tattoos done, most during my stint in the army, most healed well but you can tell how others didn't because of colour issues ect. I had my calf done and my combat boots tore it up nicely, the discomfort plus the overall finish of your tattoo isn't worth the two weeks of not working out. As another poster stated you can always do low impact activities that aren't strenuous as well. It's a good time to work and focus on flexibility and stretching. (coming from the guy who never stretched). For the cost of the work done, the respect for your artist, and the potential discomfort/health risks I'd stick keeping everything low key. However that's my two cents and probably isn't worth more then that ;)
  • militarygirl92
    militarygirl92 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    No, don't work out anyway. Pick one. Tattoos or gym. Both could be very bad for you.

Walks should be ok as long as you don't sweat or make your clothes rub on the tattoos... considering those were the reasons they gave.

Be responsible lol.

I have five tattoos and I have continued to work out regardless. I simply washed my tattoos with asoap and then out a and d ointmet on it afterwards to prevent infection. Give tattoos. No infection. And still working out.
  • militarygirl92
    militarygirl92 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a nice exercise. It may get u sweating depending on what kind of yoga you choose but it's better than going a full out jog and sweating constantly and then itching later. That's just a pain. Good luck with both endeavours!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    2 weeks seems excessive. I'm getting tattooed tomorrow and there's no way I'm taking off 2 weeks. I just take a couple days off and properly care for the fresh tat.
  • fifiman
    fifiman Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    tufel wrote: »
    The way I read the cleanse suggestion he was recommending that activity because it helps to distract. If she is cleansing and eating healthy then she will feel like she is in control of her weight, and won't gain pounds, and can feel positive about her efforts, etc., and the two weeks will pass faster and easier.
    Yeah, yeah. We get it. There is no evidence that a 'cleanse' actually removes anything that your liver would not remove eventually anyway. But that does not mean there are no psychic benefits, or that it doesn't discipline your appetites, which has its own benefits too.

Nah, not this. Just eat at maintenance for two weeks and then get back to it!!

Meanie!

I agree....lots of rudeness here.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    With each one of my five tattoos I've erred on the side of caution. I wasn't going to risk ruining the tattoo from sweat and infection. Listen to your tattoo artist.

Eat an maintaince for a couple weeks until the tattoo starts to peel and then get back to it. Some time off from the gym isn't the end of the world.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    To avoid MRSA, don't go to the gym till it's healed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

This is exactly what I was thinking. It's out there and it's not something you want to risk. Some kids at my son's high school got it a few years back. Scary stuff!

There's a big difference between "working out" and "going to the gym" when you have a new tattoo or any open wound.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yep you don't want to be in a gym environment with any sort of open wound, tattoo or other. So you have infection risk and possible damage to your ink. It's a no brainer! Take some time off til it's healed and find something less sweaty to do :smile:
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your facts and opinions!! I will refrain from the gym for two weeks :)
    Here are some pics of my tattoos if your interested!!
    hfv5t0ihrlgq.jpg
    q785slch06cj.jpg
  • Sam_2_sam
    Sam_2_sam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    looks cool, did they hurt?
  • MeiannaLee
    Options
    Sam_2_sam wrote: »
    looks cool, did they hurt?

No! Not at all :)
    It felt like I was getting blood drawn to be honest!
    I will totally be getting more ^__^
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options

Well that escalated quickly.

I'm all for taking precautions, but I know several nurses who got tattoos and managed to not contract MRSA and I would have thought they are at higher risk than a gym.
  • nickynoneck83
    nickynoneck83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If anything the time off will help you, your body has muscle memory and you will bounce back and may see a quick body response, just stretch, do some body weight things it's just getting it sweaty and stuff that can hurt it it.
    I have two
    Sleeves of my own, I recently had work done and started working out after 3 days, just did stuff I k ow woulnt rub up against the arm.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Depends on size/location of the tattoo, but I got a relatively small one on my arm a few weeks ago, and I just put Aquaphor on it before I went out to run, and it was fine. The tattooist told me that your own sweat won't give you an infection, since it's produced by your own body. But to be sure to clean it before/after.

Now going to the gym is a different story. Way too many infection risks there with other people's sweat and germs and grossness ;) But you can still work out pretty normally if you're not in a gym environment. Maybe give it a couple days to heal if it's a bigger or more intricate piece.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Oh, and now that I just looked at page 2: nice tattoos! :) And yeah, maybe a longer time for healing since the collar bone ones would probably be irritated by a sports bra. But they're small, so 2 weeks might be longer than you need. But the work looks great!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    omma_to_3 wrote: »
    There are lots of opinions on google out there (having a sitting done in November so I was looking). I'll talk to my artist more specifically, but the online consensus seems to be take several days off and once your tattoo enters the peeling phase, you should be OK to resume working out.

I have lots of tattoos including some very large ones, and only take 2 days off after getting them. Just keep it covered (by clothing, or whatever) for the hour or so you're in the gym, and then shower immediately after. Unless you're rubbing your tattoo on the machines, it's really not a problem. Sweating certainly isn't going to cause problems, so just avoid any direct contact.

Your artist is being ridiculous (2 weeks?!) in order to avoid a lawsuit. You'll be fine.
  • MeiannaLee
    Options
    Oh, and now that I just looked at page 2: nice tattoos! :) And yeah, maybe a longer time for healing since the collar bone ones would probably be irritated by a sports bra. But they're small, so 2 weeks might be longer than you need. But the work looks great!

Thank you! :} A friend of mine works at a tattoo place so I got them super cheap hehe
    Thats what I thought too about the sports bras D:

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Well that escalated quickly.

I'm all for taking precautions, but I know several nurses who got tattoos and managed to not contract MRSA and I would have thought they are at higher risk than a gym.

The risk of MRSA and tattoos exists .... mostly at the tattoo parlour. Choosing a proper artist that practices very good care is important. The issues with exercise are related not only to infection but proper healing and minimising scar risks. Depending on the type of tattoo and quality of work - two weeks is likely overkill for minor line work.