BMR, exercise, and calories

Options
I just checked my BMR under the APPS tab. It told me my BMR is 1336 calories. I have been limiting myself to 1100-1300 calories a day. I usually stay 1100-1200 on days I do not go to the gym, but do approach 1300 on gym days.

As I have been losing weight, the cardio machines tell me I am burning up less and less calories as my weight has been decreasing. I still have 25-30 pounds to go though. I work out very strenuously for about an hour and now I am only burning up about 300 calories exercising, if the machines are accurate.

I have been losing so slowly already, about 2-4 pounds a month. How can I create a deficit to lose 25-30 more pounds? It seems like I am approaching a zero deficit quickly. Already, I have been told by several people I should be getting more protein, but am always low on protein because I cannot fit more protein in without eating more calories.

Any thoughts?

70044776.png

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    2-4 pounds/month is a perfectly normal, healthy, and acceptable weight loss rate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Remember your BMR isn't how much you burn -- even a sedentary person should burn about 1.2x BMR, and a lightly active person burns more like 1.5x BMR.

That can make a big difference. Mine comes out around 1280 (according to at least one calculator, I'm 5'3/125) so around 1550 if sedentary, but about 1920 if lightly active -- a difference between normal calories (for maintenance) and depressingly low ones, IMO. That's all before exercise.

So for me the best thing I can do is go out of my way to increase daily activity/walking even before intentional exercise.

That said, 4 lb/month seems really good with a BMR where yours is, and even 2 is reasonable.

I think the deal with more protein, in addition to health/muscle maintenance, is that it tends to fill you up better for many people, so can sub for other calories more satisfyingly. People will be different, though.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Take the average of the calories you ate over that time.
    than take the amount you lost ( every pounds is 3500 calories) and ad that to it.
    Divide it by the days you took the whole average of.
    Now you have maintenance level ( about)

Now you can eat 500 less a day of that average amount and that is 1 pound a month etc etc

Example

you ate in 10 days 15.000 calories
    you lost in 10 days 2 pounds is 7000 calories
    Then maintenance is 22000 calories So 2200 calories a day

Now you can determen how big you make your deficit for 1 pound a week you eat 500 less than 2200 calories

Now the trick is to take this average over a long period of time like 90 days. Then it is more accurate
    And forget about the time you just started because you lose a lot of water weight in the beginning

Hope i wasn't to confusing.

In edition to it.
    Weigh everything very accurate on a digital scale, dont use cups and spoons and you will have an accurate as possible calorie intake.

95069916.png
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks for your input. It helps. I was worried the BMR was IT, and I would have to super exercise every day to lose anything at all!

70044776.png